In what format do you purchase your games?

In what format do you purchase your games?

• I always prefer a hard copy. (CD/DVD/etc.)

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • I prefer digital downlods.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other? (Is there anything else, explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I saw some people discussing this in other threads and figured people may want to comment on this.

I know I always prefer having a hard copy of the so that I can play it again 2-3 years down the road. I tried the whole "digital download" thing, and they (EA - I bought Crysis) wanted to charge me extra to keep the game for more than 2 years. I thought it was a little bogus since the download software is required to unpack and install the game.

With hard copy I can duplicate the disc if I think that it's nearing the end of it's life instead of having to pay for the game again.

Anyways, what is everyone else's thoughts / opinions about hard copies vs. digital downloads?

mi1ez

Splendid
I find downloading games is just far too convenient! I'm sure my bank manager would agree. it's too easy to just hop onto Steam and pick something up, and the older games are a bargain- $15 for HL1, blue shift, counter strike, and TF classic!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I prefer hard copies. Information doesn't get lost if it's in your hand, I don't trust backups (the system at work here is really weird..), and I also actually like going to the store (EB), the employees there are actually gamers (mostly consoles though).

I just can't trust digital downloads, and the reliability of programs like Steam or the EA store for purchases.

And woohoo nimble knuckle.

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The only digital download service I've used is Steam and I've been pretty happy with it. Steam remembers what games you own and if you get a new computer you can just install Steam and it will download all of them again.

At the same time I like to have a paper manual. I love a good game manual but reading them in .pdf format just doesn't do it for me.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
At the same time I like to have a paper manual. I love a good game manual but reading them in .pdf format just doesn't do it for me.
I agree here as well. They gave the Prima Guide for pre-ordering Crysis and reading it .pdf format was kinda lame. Although, I don't normally get Prima Guides ever - they can't make you aim better / play better in an FPS after all. :p I just find it kinda silly when I see people buying those guides for FPS's at Bestbuy, etc.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I always prefer to have a hard copy of any games I buy, mostly so that if I want I can still install and play them even after they have been out of cerculation for a few years. In fact thats one reason why I hang on to alot of my old computer parts when I upgrade.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
UT3 came with a DVD (the game) and a CD (manual), bah, I love my paper!

I pre-ordered Crysis and got no guide.. I got the APC (well I haven't even tried it yet.. but I did put in my code online). I haven't had time to play it at all, had to school my clan at BF2 last night (after not playing for months - gold medals :p ).

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hard copy. Whenever I purge my PC for whatever reason - virus HDD failure, I have the discs to put them back on whenever I want. Plus nothing beats the touchy feely of the disc packaging and manuals.

TRENDING THREADS