Multiple WinXp install

Hello,

Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Hi,

Technically, yes, though the EULA states one installation on one system.
Simply insert the CD and start a new installation, point to a new drive or
volume as the install point and run setup. The multiboot will be set up for
you.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FD5B20D-B2F2-4B76-A9BB-CF075F08A352@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Yes, and as Rick stated how to, is dependent on whether you have additional partitions. If you don't, you will either have to format, then create multiple partitions, or get a program that will create partitions along your system partition. BootIt NG does this nicely, it is shareware 30 day full functional trial, $35 to pruchase www.terabyteunlimited.com. If you have a separate hard drive, you can place it there.

Don't listen to Mike Brannigan, as the interpretation can mean two things, and he specifies one copy, meaning as only to being able to have one installation on the same PC. It can also mean, your physical copy (installation disk), which in reality is being used on ONLY one PC, so you can install it as many times as you very please on the same PC! MS is (unless Mike has stock otions there) is being very petty when they demand that one purchase another license to use on the same PC, or Mike doesn't know what MS truly means by "One Copy, One PC"!

"Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Yes - but you are required to purchase additional licenses for each install.
The End User License Agreement you agreed to be bound by during installation
is clear on this.
You can read the EULA anytime on the link on Start ... Run ... winver

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
this EULA:

* Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Product on a single
computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer").

So you may only make one installation per license.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Well... I didn't know that. But the windows I'm using is our firms. We have
been told by our IKT that we can use unlimited on our machines.

or ?

> Well... I didn't know that. But the windows I'm using is our firms. We
> have
> been told by our IKT that we can use unlimited on our machines.
>
> or ?

You never have unlimited licenses for our products.
Even under the largest Enterprise Agreements you eventually pay for every
license you use.
Please check with them again.
If they are happy for you to install multiple copies they will end up paying
for it in the license "true up" which happens (at least yearly) under our
large volume license agreements.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well... I didn't know that. But the windows I'm using is our firms. We
> have
> been told by our IKT that we can use unlimited on our machines.
>
> or ?
>
> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?
>>
>> Yes - but you are required to purchase additional licenses for each
>> install.
>> The End User License Agreement you agreed to be bound by during
>> installation
>> is clear on this.
>> You can read the EULA anytime on the link on Start ... Run ... winver
>>
>> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
>> provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
>> this EULA:
>>
>> * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
>> display and run one copy of the Product on a single
>> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
>> ("Workstation Computer").
>>

>> So you may only make one installation per license.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

>> rights
>>
>> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
>> newsgroups
>>
>> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Can I install multiple WinXp on my pc? How to do that?

Tom,

Since I have even checked this with our license people I am acutely aware of
precisely what our license agreement for Windows XP means.
There is no ambiguity in the language.
Allow me to reiterate.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
this EULA:

* Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Product on a single
computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
("Workstation Computer").

The important phrase is "You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a
single computer ..."
So it is ONE installation per license. Dual and multi boot options just as
running under Virtual PC all REQUIRE additional licenses.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OZgXCG0nEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Tom,
>
> Since I have even checked this with our license people I am acutely aware of
> precisely what our license agreement for Windows XP means.
> There is no ambiguity in the language.
> Allow me to reiterate.
>
> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
> provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
> this EULA:
>
> * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
> display and run one copy of the Product on a single
> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> ("Workstation Computer").
>
> The important phrase is "You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a
> single computer ..."
> So it is ONE installation per license. Dual and multi boot options just as
> running under Virtual PC all REQUIRE additional licenses.

So?

It is one copy, and I can only USE, RUN, ACCESS ONE COPY AT ONE TIME!

I cannot, as no else can, do this on the same PC, so it isn't an issue. I take no heed to what your license dept states (they can tow anything MS wants them to tow), as they do not write laws, nor enforce them. By the words written, I can only do what it says anyway. MS is fairly daft, if they think one should purchase another license for the same PC, if they cannot be run concurrently.

Tom,

The actual wording from the EULA is clear enough.

".. You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a single computer ..."

So it is ONE installation per license.

The most important fact is it is that you may install this license once to
one machine and only run one copy etc etc .

The point of the additional coverage in the EULA (access/run etc) is that
technologies do exist that would allow you to install and run/access more
than one copy at one time (e.g. product such as Virtual PC or VMWare)
The license is clear and simple on this matter.
--

Regards,

Mike
--

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tom,
>
> Since I have even checked this with our license people I am acutely aware
> of
> precisely what our license agreement for Windows XP means.
> There is no ambiguity in the language.
> Allow me to reiterate.
>
> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
> provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
> this EULA:
>
> * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
> display and run one copy of the Product on a single
> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> ("Workstation Computer").
>
> The important phrase is "You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a
> single computer ..."
> So it is ONE installation per license. Dual and multi boot options just
> as
> running under Virtual PC all REQUIRE additional licenses.

So?

It is one copy, and I can only USE, RUN, ACCESS ONE COPY AT ONE TIME!

I cannot, as no else can, do this on the same PC, so it isn't an issue. I
take no heed to what your license dept states (they can tow anything MS
wants them to tow), as they do not write laws, nor enforce them. By the
words written, I can only do what it says anyway. MS is fairly daft, if they
think one should purchase another license for the same PC, if they cannot be
run concurrently.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, a copy can be my disk, and it isn't quite clear. The fact that you list listed other MS products that allow running a virtual OS, is still something that has to be purchased, I don't use them. But, I am not sorry to say that I have two instances of my XP-Pro disk on my ONE PC, and I refuse to agree with terms that are not clear. Again, MS is really daft if they think their EULA should imply such a rule, when I already abide by the one XP disk per PC only; that I agree with.

Again, I can ONLY run one copy at a time on the same PC. I have one monitor, and I cannot run two boot instances at the same time. I bet most of the MVPs here have multiple installs with the same disk on their same PCs, specifically for beta testing, which is mostly for the benefit of MS, at no cost to MS.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:eLMbGS2nEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Tom,
>
> The actual wording from the EULA is clear enough.
>
> ".. You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a single computer ...."
>
> So it is ONE installation per license.
>
> The most important fact is it is that you may install this license once to
> one machine and only run one copy etc etc .
>
> The point of the additional coverage in the EULA (access/run etc) is that
> technologies do exist that would allow you to install and run/access more
> than one copy at one time (e.g. product such as Virtual PC or VMWare)
> The license is clear and simple on this matter.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>
> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Tom,
>>
>> Since I have even checked this with our license people I am acutely aware
>> of
>> precisely what our license agreement for Windows XP means.
>> There is no ambiguity in the language.
>> Allow me to reiterate.
>>
>> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
>> provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
>> this EULA:
>>
>> * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
>> display and run one copy of the Product on a single
>> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
>> ("Workstation Computer").
>>
>> The important phrase is "You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on a
>> single computer ..."
>> So it is ONE installation per license. Dual and multi boot options just
>> as
>> running under Virtual PC all REQUIRE additional licenses.
>>

> So?
>
> It is one copy, and I can only USE, RUN, ACCESS ONE COPY AT ONE TIME!
>
> I cannot, as no else can, do this on the same PC, so it isn't an issue. I
> take no heed to what your license dept states (they can tow anything MS
> wants them to tow), as they do not write laws, nor enforce them. By the
> words written, I can only do what it says anyway. MS is fairly daft, if they
> think one should purchase another license for the same PC, if they cannot be
> run concurrently.

Tom,

Beta testing of products is a separate issue,
We supply the media and licenses specifically for the Beta testers and those
licenses often allow for other rights of use.
If a person volunteers to test a product (not operating system) and they
wish to do this on another PC or another partition or virtual machine then
they are required to be properly licensed for the operating system they are
running that test environment in and that means additional licenses.

As regards your other comments about having multiple installs then you're in
breach of your End User License Agreement that you agreed to be bound by
when you installed the opertaing systems.

--

Regards,

Mike
--

> [...]

>> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
>> ("Workstation Computer").
>>
>> The important phrase is "You may install ... ONE copy of the Product on
>> single computer ..."
>> So it is ONE installation per license. Dual and multi boot options just
>> as
>> running under Virtual PC all REQUIRE additional licenses.
>>

> So?
>
> It is one copy, and I can only USE, RUN, ACCESS ONE COPY AT ONE TIME!
>
> I cannot, as no else can, do this on the same PC, so it isn't an issue. I
> take no heed to what your license dept states (they can tow anything MS
> wants them to tow), as they do not write laws, nor enforce them. By the
> words written, I can only do what it says anyway. MS is fairly daft, if
> they
> think one should purchase another license for the same PC, if they cannot

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OeVxJO8nEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

<snipped>
> As regards your other comments about having multiple installs then you're in
> breach of your End User License Agreement that you agreed to be bound by
> when you installed the opertaing systems.

Well, let MS sue me, and take this court. I would bet that the court would LOL at MS trying to tell consumers they have to have a separate license to use on the same PC for two different installations. As I stated before, it is one thing for one license, one PC, and I have no problem with that, but not for multiple installs on the same PC, of which CAN ONLY RUN, ACCESS, VIEW, ETC AT ONLY ONE TIME! You know it is impossible otherwise, so I am using only one copy!

If you or MS doesn't like this, you can easily look at my message properties, and cry to my ISP, or have the RIAA type police come to my home and make me uninstall my second boot of XP Pro.

Since only 1 copied can me installed. How may a normal person (general
public) get individual CD keys so if we wish to install multiple copies,
eaither on the same computer or on mutiple computers.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well... I didn't know that. But the windows I'm using is our firms. We
> > have
> > been told by our IKT that we can use unlimited on our machines.
> >
> > or ?
>
> You never have unlimited licenses for our products.
> Even under the largest Enterprise Agreements you eventually pay for every
> license you use.
> Please check with them again.
> If they are happy for you to install multiple copies they will end up paying
> for it in the license "true up" which happens (at least yearly) under our
> large volume license agreements.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well... I didn't know that. But the windows I'm using is our firms. We
> > have
> > been told by our IKT that we can use unlimited on our machines.
> >
> > or ?
> >
> > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Yes - but you are required to purchase additional licenses for each
> >> install.
> >> The End User License Agreement you agreed to be bound by during
> >> installation
> >> is clear on this.
> >> You can read the EULA anytime on the link on Start ... Run ... winver
> >>
> >> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights
> >> provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of
> >> this EULA:
> >>
> >> * Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
> >> display and run one copy of the Product on a single
> >> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
> >> ("Workstation Computer").
> >>

> >> So you may only make one installation per license.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Mike
> >> --
> >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> >> rights
> >>
> >> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
> >> newsgroups
> >>
> >> "Tazarel" <Tazarel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok if 1 copy can be only installed per cd key. how may a typical person
(general public) get more CD Keys to install more copies on their computers
or other computers if they have a legitiament CD,

In news:BA0291BB-2CFB-4D01-9A3D-E480A3A49D13@microsoft.com,
Masterslayer <Masterslayer@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Ok if 1 copy can be only installed per cd key. how may a
> typical
> person (general public) get more CD Keys to install more copies
> on
> their computers or other computers if they have a legitiament
> CD,

If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, yes you can buy
extra licenses (see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp). But
it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
second copy from a discount source.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Chris "Masterslayer"" <Chris "Masterslayer"@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
> Since only 1 copied can me installed. How may a normal person (general
> public) get individual CD keys so if we wish to install multiple
> copies, eaither on the same computer or on mutiple computers.

You should be able to install multiple copies on the _same_ computer. For
additional computer see:
How to obtain additional licenses for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814175

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com