Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Falcon Northwest 3-Way SLI Review

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 29, 2008 2:21:02 PM

Article written by Rob Wright and Shelton Romhanyi.

NVIDIA's 3-way SLI has arrived, and Falcon Northwest puts the triple GPU technology to the test with its new Mach V gaming desktop. How much of a performance upgrade will three GeForce 8800 Ultras offer?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/01/29/falconnorthwest_3waysli_review/
January 29, 2008 2:44:03 PM

Seems okay. It does offer the "bang for your buck", but to pay that much to game is a little crazy. Although, you probably would save on your gas / heating bill in the winter. :p 

I do like the fact that they included the BD / HD-DVD drive in it. Just goes to show that it can be used for more than just gaming, but at that price you would figure they'd throw in a 24-30" monitor as well.
January 29, 2008 3:54:31 PM

I'll take that rig when you're done playing with it (that's what she said).

Ack but $9K for a PC? You can buy a car for that price, sell drugs through the passenger window and perhaps make enough profit to buy this thing in a month or two
Related resources
January 29, 2008 4:25:26 PM

It's crazy to pay 9K for a "gaming" PC. Especially since most PC games aren't that good anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love PC games, but the PC gaming industry is dying, isn't it?
I use to love flight sims, or sims in general. Now all you get is first person shooters with really bad back stories.
I think the gargantuan slide in the PC gaming industry will eventually catch up to Intel, AMD and Nvidia because no one will be willing to pays that kind of cash to play a handful of games.
January 29, 2008 4:40:35 PM

If tripple 8800 Ultras won't play Crysis at high res, then what do the game developers play it on? I mean, they have to test it somehow, right?
January 29, 2008 5:29:21 PM

what a joke. $9k and it still can't play crysis maxed out. It's obvious cry-tek LIED about how the game would perform. Sweet...let's develop a game that can only be played 3 years in the future.
January 29, 2008 6:25:29 PM

Quote:
what a joke. $9k and it still can't play crysis maxed out. It's obvious cry-tek LIED about how the game would perform. Sweet...let's develop a game that can only be played 3 years in the future.
Well, it's that and the fact that Tri-SLI is kind of a joke. There was litteraly a 10FPS between SLI and Tri-SLI in a few of the benchmarks. Who the hell would pay $700 extra for that? Anyways, I think people need to realize that Crysis is not meant to be run on Very High w/ today's hardware, so stop throwing money and something you cannot achieve.
January 29, 2008 7:53:12 PM

I knew this day was coming.

The first computer I've seen in person where EVERY SLOT IS FOR VIDEO CARDs

Makes me wonder if we need a new ATX type standard for these monstrosities.

The raindrop effect resembles a high quality vinyl job like you find on import tuner cars.

A solid machine. Clean internals. Cables neatly routed. No obvious case stupidity.

I think, maybe I should start with a sig, that keeps track of the baddest machine in the lab, on any given day.
January 29, 2008 11:42:40 PM

Ok... I keep hearing about these Sanyo-Denki H2O (San Ace H2O) CPU coolers. Where the heck do you buy them? I have looked all over the web and the only place anyone mentions them are in forums. I am looking to build a rig and would love to try one out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
January 30, 2008 11:03:46 AM

jeverson said:
Ok... I keep hearing about these Sanyo-Denki H2O (San Ace H2O) CPU coolers. Where the heck do you buy them? I have looked all over the web and the only place anyone mentions them are in forums. I am looking to build a rig and would love to try one out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


Poor choice of thread my friend!
January 30, 2008 11:21:28 AM

Hey, Toms configuration team didn't apply Nividia's beta graphic driver version 169.28.
I think thats why Crysis crashs when AA is activated.
After I download the 1.1 Crisys's patch, I installed the 169.25 WHQL driver and the game crashs at the beggining. When I installed the beta one, the game runned smooth.
January 30, 2008 1:28:08 PM

Hehe... I wasn't knocking forums. Obviously I use them too, but it is very frustrating to keep hearing everyone talk about them and not being able to actually find them. Any help... thanks.
January 30, 2008 3:38:51 PM

xonda said:
Hey, Toms configuration team didn't apply Nividia's beta graphic driver version 169.28.
I think thats why Crysis crashs when AA is activated.
After I download the 1.1 Crisys's patch, I installed the 169.25 WHQL driver and the game crashs at the beggining. When I installed the beta one, the game runned smooth.


We downloaded the 169.28 driver after the initial tests, and we working on a Crysis-specific follow-up story. At first glance, the numbers really didn't improve much at all. However, we're going to run the game through several more times on the Falcon NW to see if we can eek out some more frame rates. We were able to get the game to about 30 in our first run through with 1900x1200, which ain't all bad. Check out the link below:

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/01/08/ces_nvidia_3-way_sli_crysis/
January 31, 2008 7:10:09 AM

robwright said:
We downloaded the 169.28 driver after the initial tests, and we working on a Crysis-specific follow-up story. At first glance, the numbers really didn't improve much at all. However, we're going to run the game through several more times on the Falcon NW to see if we can eek out some more frame rates. We were able to get the game to about 30 in our first run through with 1900x1200, which ain't all bad. Check out the link below:

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/01/08/ces_nvidia_3-way_sli_crysis/



Rob!!! What are you doing in here? Are you slumming it today? J/K!!!
!