In search of the best Verizon phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 25, 2004 12:09:43 PM

My current contract with Verizon ends on June 19th, and I'm looking
for a new phone. I'm looking for a mobile phone that:

1. is small, non-camera, web-enabled, with a color screen (like LG
VX3200/VX4600, Aiudiovox CDM8600, Samsung a530s);
2. can work in "digital roaming" areas (I'm often in Maine and other
fringe areas, so I can't have an "all digital" phone);
3. has the latest technology (anyone know a good US-based site that
gives up to date info on latest/upcoming releases?).

Any suggestions? Is there a must-have phone coming out soon that I
should wait for?

TIA!

Jeff

More about : search verizon phone

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:34:50 PM

On 25 May 2004 08:09:43 -0700, slowsk8r@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote:

>My current contract with Verizon ends on June 19th, and I'm looking
>for a new phone. I'm looking for a mobile phone that:
>
>1. is small, non-camera, web-enabled, with a color screen (like LG
>VX3200/VX4600, Aiudiovox CDM8600, Samsung a530s);
>2. can work in "digital roaming" areas (I'm often in Maine and other
>fringe areas, so I can't have an "all digital" phone);
>3. has the latest technology (anyone know a good US-based site that
>gives up to date info on latest/upcoming releases?).
>
>Any suggestions? Is there a must-have phone coming out soon that I
>should wait for?

Jeff,

Take a look at PhoneScoop. They usually have very good info on what's
coming:

http://www.phonescoop.com/
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:57:27 PM

slowsk8r@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<9162e86a.0405250709.6bbfeac6@posting.google.com>...
> My current contract with Verizon ends on June 19th, and I'm looking
> for a new phone. I'm looking for a mobile phone that:
>
> 1. is small, non-camera, web-enabled, with a color screen (like LG
> VX3200/VX4600, Aiudiovox CDM8600, Samsung a530s);
> 2. can work in "digital roaming" areas (I'm often in Maine and other
> fringe areas, so I can't have an "all digital" phone);
> 3. has the latest technology (anyone know a good US-based site that
> gives up to date info on latest/upcoming releases?).
>
> Any suggestions? Is there a must-have phone coming out soon that I
> should wait for?

A bunch of new Verizon phones should be coming out in the next month
or so, to coincide with graduation/summer.

Phones are getting more complicated, but whether they are getting any
"better" is an open question. Plenty of reviews, over time, with one's
particular needs in mind, usually weeds out the losers.

After watching and reading the whole "new phone release cycle", for
the last 6 years or so, I don't see the profitability in rushing out
to be the first one on the block with any new handset model. Over a
little time, quality goes up, as the bugs are repaired, through new sw
releases. The price always comes down and more accessories become
available through back channels, at reduced prices.

Digital performance seems to keep improving. Display quality is also
getting better and battery life, if not better, is getting more
efficient, considering the power hungry color displays. Analog
performance seems to have peaked some time ago, so either getting an
older phone or an external antenna capable handset, may be the
solution.

Reading a range of user reviews, can be very helpful. New models are a
mixed bag, since bugs tend crop up early, just after release, and have
been known to plague some models. Thanks to those brave "beta
testers".

User reviews for each model, on Phonescoop, is a favorite. There's
other forums with reviews as well.

(Example)
Motorola v60p / v60s User Reviews (Phone Scoop)

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone...

HowardForums: Mobile Phone Reviews

http://www.howardforums.com/

WirelessAdvisor.com Forums

http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/forums/index.php

-
David
May 26, 2004 2:19:37 AM

I love my LG (I have the discontinued 4400)
I was on vaca in the dominican and I was the only
one of our crowd to get any service. We all have verizon same exact plans
but the audiovox & samsung phones had no service. I am in new england (MA)
and haven't found an area yet where I can't get service.

"Jeff" <slowsk8r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My current contract with Verizon ends on June 19th, and I'm looking
> for a new phone. I'm looking for a mobile phone that:
>
> 1. is small, non-camera, web-enabled, with a color screen (like LG
> VX3200/VX4600, Aiudiovox CDM8600, Samsung a530s);
> 2. can work in "digital roaming" areas (I'm often in Maine and other
> fringe areas, so I can't have an "all digital" phone);
> 3. has the latest technology (anyone know a good US-based site that
> gives up to date info on latest/upcoming releases?).
>
> Any suggestions? Is there a must-have phone coming out soon that I
> should wait for?
>
> TIA!
>
> Jeff
May 28, 2004 9:34:05 AM

davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote in message news:<e1705cb3.0405251857.2fe19932@posting.google.com>...
> slowsk8r@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<9162e86a.0405250709.6bbfeac6@posting.google.com>...
> > My current contract with Verizon ends on June 19th, and I'm looking
> > for a new phone. I'm looking for a mobile phone that:
> >
> > 1. is small, non-camera, web-enabled, with a color screen (like LG
> > VX3200/VX4600, Audiovox CDM8600, Samsung a530s);
> > 2. can work in "digital roaming" areas (I'm often in Maine and other
> > fringe areas, so I can't have an "all digital" phone);
> > 3. has the latest technology (anyone know a good US-based site that
> > gives up to date info on latest/upcoming releases?).
> >
> > Any suggestions? Is there a must-have phone coming out soon that I
> > should wait for?
> >

> A bunch of new Verizon phones should be coming out in the next month
> or so, to coincide with graduation/summer.
>

> Phones are getting more complicated, but whether they are getting any
> "better" is an open question. Plenty of reviews, over time, with one's
> particular needs in mind, usually weeds out the losers.
>
> After watching and reading the whole "new phone release cycle", for
> the last 6 years or so, I don't see the profitability in rushing out
> to be the first one on the block with any new handset model. Over a
> little time, quality goes up, as the bugs are repaired, through new sw
> releases. The price always comes down and more accessories become
> available through back channels, at reduced prices.
>
> Digital performance seems to keep improving. Display quality is also
> getting better and battery life, if not better, is getting more
> efficient, considering the power hungry color displays. Analog
> performance seems to have peaked some time ago, so either getting an
> older phone or an external antenna capable handset, may be the
> solution.
>
> Reading a range of user reviews, can be very helpful. New models are a
> mixed bag, since bugs tend crop up early, just after release, and have
> been known to plague some models. Thanks to those brave "beta
> testers".
>
> User reviews for each model, on Phonescoop, is a favorite. There's
> other forums with reviews as well.
>
> (Example)
> Motorola v60p / v60s User Reviews (Phone Scoop)
>
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone...
>
> HowardForums: Mobile Phone Reviews
>
> http://www.howardforums.com/
>
> WirelessAdvisor.com Forums
>
> http://www.wirelessadvisor.com/forums/index.php
>
> -
> David

Thanks for the phonescoop.com link! I used to read the cnet.com
reviews, but the "editor's review" can be in direct contrast to the
"user's recommendations". And this site is much better organized and
focused. I'm going to do some research and wait until July to get a
new phone, so maybe there will be some good ones before then.

The problem is, a lot of the new phones that are coming out (Samsung
A770, for example) are camera phones, which I have no use for. I wish
more companies would take their high end camera phones, and just
remove the camera (like LG VX6000 vs. VX4600)!

Thanks again!
Jeff
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:14:57 PM

Jeff wrote:
> remove the camera (like LG VX6000 vs. VX4600)!

The VX6000 was actually designed by Curitel and forms the basis of
the VX6000 and the Audiovox CDM8900. I believe the VX4600 is
completely different and an in house LG design.

Basically the way cell design works is that they slap a Qualcomm
MSM chipset on a circuit board, choose which features to use,
touch up the reference software in various ways, get it all
FCC certificated, get it Verizon approved and shipped. That
whole process takes a long time (eg 6-9 months from FCC
certification to first sale). You can see all the Qualcomm
chips here:

http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/cdma2000_3g_solutions...

I believe the VX4400 is based on the MSM5100 which supports
BlueTooth and MMC cards. They didn't implement either
feature in the phone (and only half implemented MMS).

Roger
!