Connecting my home office to a remote Wireless Access point

I live about a half mile from a free wireless access point that I bet
I can hit with a small directional antenna. I'd like to set up a
small wireless LAN at my house that can tap into it. I've done some
digging around in this group for ideas, but without much luck. Can
anybody suggest the cheapest/easiest way to accomplish this?

I'm imagining a little box that I can buy that will act as an Access
Point, but also has a connection for a directional antenna to use as
input. Does such a thing exist?

Jason

PS. More info: At the present my hardware configuration consists of
two laptops with built-in wireless cards and an old desktop that could
be sacrificed to become a firewall/whatever.

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jason Kester wrote:

> I live about a half mile from a free wireless access point that I bet
> I can hit with a small directional antenna. I'd like to set up a
> small wireless LAN at my house that can tap into it. I've done some
> digging around in this group for ideas, but without much luck. Can
> anybody suggest the cheapest/easiest way to accomplish this?
>
> I'm imagining a little box that I can buy that will act as an Access
> Point, but also has a connection for a directional antenna to use as
> input. Does such a thing exist?
>
> Jason
>
> PS. More info: At the present my hardware configuration consists of
> two laptops with built-in wireless cards and an old desktop that could
> be sacrificed to become a firewall/whatever.

You're talking about accomplishing two different things. One is to
receive the wireless signal from the free access point. Second is to
feed wireless signal to other computers. So you need either two wireless
devices and connect the first to the WAN port on your wireless router or
get an "all-in-one" device that works as a repeater. For me the first
option works best. Usually faster, easier to configure with directional
antennas and so forth. If you end up with a wireless router you don't
need to sacrifice the desktop computer to act as a firewall. But if it's
old enough I'd probably shitcan it or give it to the kids.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Try: http://www.rflinx.com/Amplifiers/2.4GHz-Amplifiers/2400_APX_Series.htm

"John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message
> Try:
http://www.rflinx.com/Amplifiers/2.4GHz-Amplifiers/2400_APX_Series.htm

> "Jason Kester" <jasonkester@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I live about a half mile from a free wireless access point that I bet
> > I can hit with a small directional antenna. I'd like to set up a
> > small wireless LAN at my house that can tap into it. I've done some
> > digging around in this group for ideas, but without much luck. Can
> > anybody suggest the cheapest/easiest way to accomplish this?
> >
> > I'm imagining a little box that I can buy that will act as an Access
> > Point, but also has a connection for a directional antenna to use as
> > input. Does such a thing exist?
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > PS. More info: At the present my hardware configuration consists of
> > two laptops with built-in wireless cards and an old desktop that could
> > be sacrificed to become a firewall/whatever.

Yea but a good directional antenna would be a lot cheaper. If DIY inclined,
you might even try a low cost tin cantenna.

Connect to a Linksys WAP54G in "client mode". Ethernet connect that to
another WAP54G to act as a local AP if desired.

--
Bob Alston

---