The_I

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Subject says most of it. Any real reason to use pro instead of home? Does it handle the system differently, run smoother, faster or more stably? Or does it simply have some more features, and are any of those worth anything?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Start learning from <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp" target="_new">here</A>

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
blah, no pun intended. I have been pouring over that site but don't see what I am looking for.

A while back I saw a side by side comparrison of xp home and pro on that m$ site--since then I have combed over those pages at least twice and haven't relocated it. I see 10 reasons to buy xp home, 10 reasons to by xp pro, compare xp with 95, 98, 2000, nt,...why one should buy a tablet with xp,... etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum....but where the heck did that side by side for pro and home go?

Some people say go ahead and get the pro. But I am not clear why. One of the buyer reviews for the home version on the new egg site wrote that m$ tech told him it only really mattered for small buisinesses networking over 5 computers. What other benefits are there, if any? I doubt I will find remote desktop of much use which is one of pros big selling points. What other factors make it $35 more---especially those that would be of interest to a home/small lan computer/possibly small lan server used for light office work and gaming?

If there is at least one useful thing I can take advantage of then it *might* be worth the extra $35. I think the pro has firewall that home does not, but if I upgrade to an a64 nforce 3 250gb platform that has built in hardware firewall I wouldn't want to use both would I? Also right now I have macafee firewall for free for the next few months through my cable provider. The other thing that pro has apparently is more network capability, convenience or whatever. Will this make setting up lan connections for gaming easier/ better if I travel with my comp? I have had to jump through some hoops with 98 going between a small two comp lan elsewhere and back to my cable connection (setting/resetting subnet mask when gaming on lan-calling cable company support for help when I wanted to get back on line). Simple stuff but nonetheless a nuisance. Would the pro version of xp make such transitions any more hassle free than home version would?

The other thing is that it is possible in the not too distant future this upgrade could be used as a buisiness computer, although I can't see that it would be networked much beyond a small lan in that usage either.

What about a gaming server on line--would xp pro/home make any difference in that case?

I wish I could find that head to head comparison again so I could ask more focused questions about the specific differences. Where the heck did they hide it???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zeekfu on 06/16/04 01:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if you dont find what info your looking for on that page chances are theres nothing else to know.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
yea that is where I was looking. I still don't see the side by side between xp home and xp pro that I saw before. It must be there somewhere because I have seen it/

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
well crap ola... that is some fine kettle of fish. I guess I could put two windows up side by side and try and sort it out form myself, lol. There must not a be a whole heck of a lot of difference if no one can seem to tell me what the difference actually is. Granted this xp thread probably doesn't get all that much traffic. But without that side by side chart it is a bit harder to sort through the hype as either link is trying to sell xp. It is difficult to find exactly what advantages pro has from looking at the marketing strengths of both. For example, just because it is emphasized as a selling point for pro that doesn't neccessarily mean home wouldn't have the same feature.

So you have seen the chart I was speaking of and think they just removed it? Maybe since the os is older they want people to be confused so they spend the extra $40?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zeekfu on 06/17/04 09:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's a link to an article that you might find useful:

<A HREF="http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp" target="_new">Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?</A>

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Thank you very much, friend. I have heard some people say get pro but didn't really understand why. That article layed it out clearly:
-----------------------------
At its most basic level, XP Professional is a business- and power-user oriented superset of Home Edition. Because this orientation, it includes features that wouldn't be appropriate, or would be too complex, for the typical home user. The most obvious difference is security, which is vastly simplified in Home Edition.
"Professional Edition is a strict superset of Home Edition," confirmed Chris Jones, Vice President of the Windows Client Group. "Everything you can do in Home Edition, you can do in Pro. So we do think there are home users who will buy Pro." Jones' distinction is a good one: With Windows XP, the Professional Edition is finally a superset of all the desktop clients that came before (Windows Me and Windows 2000 Professional) as well as of its new sibling. So when discussing the differences between the editions, it's best to simply describe those features in Pro that you can't get in Home Edition.
-----------------------------------------

Thus, I believe, judging from that article that the basic operating system itself is the exact same. Xp pro just adds more features. I have heard and seen things written that made me think home was somehow "inferior":(from a new egg buyer review)

----------
"N/A,6/17/2004 11:10:15 AM

While I agree that Win2K is better for people who don't play games... Who doesn't play games and what is wrong with them!? XP Pro trashes windows 98 in every aspect. Not even a good comparison. For people who use OSs to their full extent, I would still say go XP pro. Especially once you get Office 2003, the features are endless... and yes, you can turn them off.

In closing. DO NOT GET XP HOME! XP Home is a glorified windows 98, it is just as buggy. I have had nothing but problems with XP Home and 98/95/Me systems. XP Pro makes it all go away."
-----------------

but that is apparently not the case at all. Perhaps some of the complaints people have had deal with the upgrade from 98/95 rather than the full install versions???

At any rate after reading the article I still don't know what half of the stuff added to the pro version does. If I don't know what it is I guess I can do without it, lol. I think I will save about $40 and get the home version. Thanks again for linking that article. I am glad I checked back here and saw it.

In summary: As I understand it xp pro is the same basic os as home it just adds more additional features. Basically, it would probably be a waste of money for me to purchase an os with business networking features I may never use. If anyone who reads this disagrees with my assumption I would like to see some more comments regarding that.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Oh! I see! Sorry I didn't understand at first- you wanted someone ELSE to do all the work for you, since nasty old Microsoft took away your favorite picture book.

Hmm...

GFY!

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in reply to

""N/A,6/17/2004 11:10:15 AM...""

That guy (I hope it is;) has nothing to do with basic wizdom. He is just wabling nothing intelligent, but thinks he is the top of the flop.

Anyway, XP Home is ok if you don't plan to have:

Security (directory/file lockup from any body but you).
Network (which in your case will be the case).
Better management.

And if you are concern about $30 difference, then do not even think about it, just get XP Home and for the rest buy as many McDonald's buggers as you can for $30 (which is 10:?)

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Well, it's more like $40 :>) but yea if it is just a waste I might as well keep it. So you have used both and don't think there is any difference in performance, stability, etc. just that pro has extra features that many/most home users wouldn't take advantage of anyway?

I might utilize a small lan but nothing that I would really need security for. I assume it has simple sharing/not shared as win 98 does. What about being on line? I was thinking of fixing up my old computer and using it as a game server when I build my new one. Would it effect that at all? My assumption would be no because firewall/router would be the security in that instance not network security. I see pro has some additional web things to do that I didn't understand. I mean I guess it wouldn't hurt to have something I might play around with but, then again if it is something I will never use I may as well put it towards another component.

p.s. I don't eat at mcdonalds, he he.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
-----------------------------
Oh! I see! Sorry I didn't understand at first- you wanted someone ELSE to do all the work for you, since nasty old Microsoft took away your favorite picture book.

Hmm...

GFY!

--------------------
Wtf is with the tude? This is a forum isn't it? Yea, like I said I had looked at the microsoft link at least 3 times prior to that. I was looking for more detailed information that compared them side by side like that other guy provided. thanks?
by the way wtf is gfy?

Micro$ wants to sell software so it isn't as if they are going to say either of them is bad even if it were. One thing I would like to know is if home is equally as stable and so forth. Perhaps someone who might have pro at work and home at home could tell me if the home system is just as stable as the pro and so forth.....stuff like that...I am looking for details peartree, details man

....damit Jim, I'm a doctor not a banjo player

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zeekfu on 06/18/04 08:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They are prettty similar in stability, so if you are looking for that, it's there in both, and.. stuff like that.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
What about this:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-116-112&depa=6" target="_new">academic verison xp pro</A>

I have been told to avoid the upgrades. However, according to the buyer posts all they had to do was pop their old cd in for a sec for it to verify and then they could do a clean install. Is this the same exact thing as the regular xp pro? Anyone used the academic upgrade and know anything about it?

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
A bit late for this post but I believe it be worthwhile to freshen up on the differences of "home" and "pro".

Here's the <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx" target="_new">comparison</A>.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My Systems</font color=blue></A>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
I didnt really read all your junk. But another reason Pro is meant for businesses is because you dont have to validate every copy. Its meant so that 1 company cam buy 1 copy and install it on 50 computers without having to validate every install. Thats what I hated about XP Home. Every single time we had to re-install we had to call in and do their stupid question thing to make sure we really own the copy. It was more annoying than secure.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
AFAIK, you are full of &@#$. XP Pro can only be installed on one computer. You still need to activate every copy. The only way to install it on multiple computers is to get a multiple license copy, in which case you pay extra for every CD Key, so that you can install it on more than one machine.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
Samsung 120GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
When I installed XP Pro on a second computer, it needed to be activated....So speaking from experience, each computer running XP Pro needs a CD.

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
Samsung 120GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4

Only the CORPORATE (Volume license) version of XP Pro can be installed and used without requiring activation. If you purchase a retail or OEM copy of Pro... it will require activation.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
Well, mine didnt require it to be activated.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Depends on how small 'small' is for your LAN's. The home version is limited to 5 connections on a net.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>