XP home edition doesnot boot

September 20, 2004 1:25:22 PM

I installed XP over Win98, I was told that there might be
problems later but I continued and it installed pretty
well.
then computer started fine, I went to Windows update to
update XP, but was told that this is not possible at the
moment. Then i restarted the machine and it did not boot
at all. Tried to enter safe mode, no luck at all.
there was messages saying NTLDR being corrupted, or
missing hal.dll etc.
tried to boot from Boot diskettes (XP) no luck either?

anyone can help,
thanx
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:30:50 AM

"Boyko G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed XP over Win98, I was told that there might be
>problems later but I continued and it installed pretty
>well.
>then computer started fine, I went to Windows update to
>update XP, but was told that this is not possible at the
>moment. Then i restarted the machine and it did not boot
>at all. Tried to enter safe mode, no luck at all.
>there was messages saying NTLDR being corrupted, or
>missing hal.dll etc.
>tried to boot from Boot diskettes (XP) no luck either?
>
>anyone can help,
>thanx

Boot your computer with the Windows XP upgrade CD and do a Repair
Install as per the instructions at

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

September 21, 2004 9:36:18 AM

thankx, the thing is that i can not reach to the point of
having options - to go to safe mode or to using the
Recovery console? booting with Win98 start up disk doesnt
do any good, coz it can not see NTFS partition?
it is a viciouos circle, kind of?
the only message i get is that ntldr is missing, obviously
the boot sector is corrupted???

best regards
Boyko G

don't eat much."
>.

September 21, 2004 3:27:40 PM

Boyko G wrote:

> thankx, the thing is that i can not reach to the point of
> having options - to go to safe mode or to using the
> Recovery console? booting with Win98 start up disk doesnt
> do any good, coz it can not see NTFS partition?
> it is a viciouos circle, kind of?
> the only message i get is that ntldr is missing, obviously
> the boot sector is corrupted???
>
> best regards
> Boyko G

As the reply said, boot to the CD - you don't need to get to the options
for Safe Mode or Recovery Console; just run repair from the CD.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
!