Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Crysis recommends low for graphic setting

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 30, 2008 4:49:18 PM

Hello Folks,

I just got the above game for my new pc but when I run the game it recommends I run all the graphic settings at low surely this can't be right.

My pc has the following spec:-

Vista ultimate 64bit
QX6600 processor (not overclocked)
2 x geforce 8500gt (Sli)
4GB og DDR2 800mhz memory
500GB Sata hdd

I know folks were having problems with sli running on the game but I sure its working.

Thanks in advance for any advice
January 30, 2008 5:51:41 PM

that will be the two 8500 cards. Not ideal at all.
January 30, 2008 5:59:58 PM

8500GT in SLI... you get 2 times the suckage lol. the 8500GT is not a gaming card, two of them doesn't make them any better at what they can't do.
Related resources
January 30, 2008 10:32:56 PM

yeah man.. you screwed up when you bought those.. you want a Direct X 10 card that has at least a 256-bit memory bus..

2900, 3850, 3870, 8800.

You might want to check your power supply.. Tell us how much it is, then return those 8500s for either a 256MB 8800 or a 512MB 8800 depending on your budget.
January 30, 2008 10:47:31 PM

sanjob said:
Hello Folks,

I just got the above game for my new pc but when I run the game it recommends I run all the graphic settings at low surely this can't be right.

My pc has the following spec:-

Vista ultimate 64bit
QX6600 processor (not overclocked)
2 x geforce 8500gt (Sli)
4GB og DDR2 800mhz memory
500GB Sata hdd

I know folks were having problems with sli running on the game but I sure its working.

Thanks in advance for any advice
The 8500gt is not a gaming card.
January 31, 2008 7:00:36 AM

I'll get a new card then. I've got a budget of around £140 so what will the best one to go for. It has to be suitable for SLI as I'll get another when funds allow.
January 31, 2008 10:17:40 AM

For £140 you'll be best with a 3850/3870.

I put the money down today for the Powercolor 3850- 512MB GDDR3 and slightly overclocked for £115, although you can probably just about get a 3870 for £140
January 31, 2008 12:08:56 PM

The Gecube 3870 oc looks good but I take it sli will be out the window. I like the idea of Sli / crossfire (motherboard doesn't support crossfire though). wouldn't be better to go for something like this "nno3D 8800GT OC edition 512MB Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card" - around £160 (wee bit more expensive though) so down the line I could get another (SLI setup) when I have the funds
January 31, 2008 12:58:35 PM

If you have an nVidia chipset, and play games that will make the most of SLi, then go for it, I would've gone with an 8800GT but my girlfriend wants to go to Thailand for a month so I need to cut back where I can.

The drink is what I'm finding the hardest though...
January 31, 2008 1:10:03 PM

as far as recommended settings go...i usually take them with a grain of salt anyway. With the rig in my sig, Crysis automatically set everything to very high (which was unplayable) while i've had some older games recommend very low settings/low res (probably because they don't recognize the newer drivers).

But yeah, you still need a new video card/cards.
January 31, 2008 2:49:33 PM

Right I think I'm going to go for this card is it a good deal (blows my budget though)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130449

It will give me the option to use Sli in the future as a bonus
January 31, 2008 2:52:11 PM

I thought he was kidding at first. 8500GT's in SLI... :o  I had a guy at work do the same thing though... he saw an add in Fry's paper and just thought they would make great gaming cards. (In part, it was Fry's fault for putting out a deceptive ad and labeling it "for Extreme Gaming Performance!" /shrug.

Anyways, I agree with the aforementioned 3870. It's a good card. Only thing you'll have to know is that you cannot CF on your current board... so if you want to throw in a second card later on, you'll need a new MB or have to go with the 3870x2.
January 31, 2008 7:50:04 PM

593182,13,297667 said:
I thought he was kidding at first. 8500GT's in SLI... :o  I had a guy at work do the same thing though... he saw an add in Fry's paper and just thought they would make great gaming cards. (In part, it was Fry's fault for putting out a deceptive ad and labeling it "for Extreme Gaming Performance!" /shrug.
quotemsg]

How do you think they sell those cards? Most people that don't play games probably wouldnt even get an 8500GT so they need some way to sell it, so they target the un informed non technical non researching gamer, by slapping some ludicrous title like "EXTREME GAMING PERFORMANCE" which mind you, is not false advertizing because they dont specify what extreme gaming performance means, it could mean extremely bad or extremely good or Extreme gaming performance while playing pong. This is a very very common advertizing practice (I work in software development for an advertizing company). they always slip little innuendo's in there that people will always interpret to mean something it doesn't without them being held responsible for it.

Say for example "our product is better than the leading brands" You have to ask yourself what are the leading brands? Leading in what? the product is better how? These are specifics said advertizement will not reveal to you, so they can avoid any type of false advertizement claim when their product is not better than what the user precieved as the leading brands, or in this case the video card doesnt not have extremely good gaming performance.
January 31, 2008 8:06:00 PM

Quote:
by slapping some ludicrous title like "EXTREME GAMING PERFORMANCE" which mind you, is not false advertizing because they dont specify what extreme gaming performance means, it could mean extremely bad or extremely good or Extreme gaming performance while playing pong.
haha, true enough. >_>
February 4, 2008 9:05:34 AM

Managed to get the following card for £220 :-

XFX GeForce 8800GTX will this be up to the task on its own without SLI.

cheers again for all your help

February 4, 2008 4:39:45 PM

tsd16 said:
593182,13,297667 said:
I thought he was kidding at first. 8500GT's in SLI... :o  I had a guy at work do the same thing though... he saw an add in Fry's paper and just thought they would make great gaming cards. (In part, it was Fry's fault for putting out a deceptive ad and labeling it "for Extreme Gaming Performance!" /shrug.
quotemsg]

How do you think they sell those cards? Most people that don't play games probably wouldnt even get an 8500GT so they need some way to sell it, so they target the un informed non technical non researching gamer, by slapping some ludicrous title like "EXTREME GAMING PERFORMANCE" which mind you, is not false advertizing because they dont specify what extreme gaming performance means, it could mean extremely bad or extremely good or Extreme gaming performance while playing pong. This is a very very common advertizing practice (I work in software development for an advertizing company). they always slip little innuendo's in there that people will always interpret to mean something it doesn't without them being held responsible for it.

Say for example "our product is better than the leading brands" You have to ask yourself what are the leading brands? Leading in what? the product is better how? These are specifics said advertizement will not reveal to you, so they can avoid any type of false advertizement claim when their product is not better than what the user precieved as the leading brands, or in this case the video card doesnt not have extremely good gaming performance.
said:

I think the favourite words of advertisers are "up to"
February 4, 2008 4:47:39 PM

sanjob said:
Managed to get the following card for £220 :-

XFX GeForce 8800GTX will this be up to the task on its own without SLI.

cheers again for all your help


8800 GTX will provide a slight performance increase over 8500 GT Sli :lol: 

You'll be happy, I'm sure.
February 4, 2008 6:06:22 PM

lol at 8500 sli


nVidia's marketing of 2 > 1 gets another!!!
February 4, 2008 8:08:44 PM

i plugged my poop into a pci-e interface ones in sli mode and it totally beat out the bench marks of that 8500gt... seriously, poop is some 70-80% water, and we know how fast water transfers electricity.... it was sooo easy to form it down into the motherboard too... at first it was too long and ran into my drive bays, but i just folded it in half and squished it down a little bit... works great! crysis never ran so well, it reccommends high settings for me! :-p hehe.

everyone makes mistakes, hope you're not losing out on the first two cards... you could always put them in pc's for your grandma, or some family member that doesn't play games?
February 4, 2008 8:36:54 PM

Hey Sandjob,

If you get the 8800GTX you'll have the same system as I have (or very close to it).

To give you an Idea, I can play Crysis at Very High under Vista 64-bit up to 1400x900 (with very few places where it drops below 20fps). Which means you'll be able to play Crysis with smooth framerates at regular 1280x1024 resolution if you do get the 8800GTX.

I'm not sure if the price tag is worth it thou. Have you checked other options such as the 3780X2?
February 5, 2008 7:22:24 AM

Its too late already paid for the card on the bright side the folks I got the card from don't have the XFX 8800GTX model in stock so they cut me a deal and I'll getting xfx geforce 8800 ultra 768mb instead for an extra £20. Anyway I'll get another one of these cards when they hit the £100 mark so I can get Sli up and running again
February 5, 2008 7:24:37 AM

nachowarrior said:
i plugged my poop into a pci-e interface ones in sli mode and it totally beat out the bench marks of that 8500gt... seriously, poop is some 70-80% water, and we know how fast water transfers electricity.... it was sooo easy to form it down into the motherboard too... at first it was too long and ran into my drive bays, but i just folded it in half and squished it down a little bit... works great! crysis never ran so well, it reccommends high settings for me! :-p hehe.

everyone makes mistakes, hope you're not losing out on the first two cards... you could always put them in pc's for your grandma, or some family member that doesn't play games?



One of the cards came with the PC and I got the other on ebay for £35 (should have seen the warning signs due the price). Anyway I got £60 for them on ebay.
February 6, 2008 1:48:14 AM

that's good... the 85's are common in most computer "manufacturer" pc's. Losing your butt always sucks. if i had customers that required them, i would have set something up... but i see you're not in use... shipping would have been an issue. :-p
February 6, 2008 1:58:36 AM

oh, and for future reference... click on "vga" or "dual vga" icon on tomshardware homepage... that should point you in the right direction at least. you know, if you don't buy a pc for a while... when i stopped paying attention for 6 months once, i was soo confused when i came back in, i had to do all kinds of catch up work... and i still don't know what the hell amd live does. lmfao. :-p
February 14, 2008 8:10:11 AM

Got my Graphics card in at the weekend (had to cut a wee bit oot of the case to get it to fit though). Anyway well inpressed running Crysis on very high but I'm to into world in conflict to play it at the moment.
February 19, 2008 11:30:32 AM

the 8500 series are weak there a budget video card not made for gaming so yeah
February 20, 2010 2:03:21 AM

alright i have

amd64x2 3000+
8 gigs ram
2 bfg gtx 260 OC Sli'ed (1680x1050) driver V. 196.21
vista home premium service pack 2
thermaltake 850watt PSU
2-2 TB western digital sata
ASUS m2n-e sli motherboard

I can not get crysis to run without extremly long pauses or lag even at the main menu
I even have turned the settings to low with a res of 1024x768 no AA.

Any suggestions on getting this to run I've tried just about every thing I could think of
February 20, 2010 2:11:29 AM

this forum is 2 years old... you guys should read the dates before posting.
February 20, 2010 8:01:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!