Sign in with
Your question

what an interesting find.. Going to a console?

Last response: in Video Games
January 31, 2008 4:54:56 PM

Console keyboards have been around for a while, at least back to the Dreamcast as I can recall. The problem is that they are completely impractical and a mouse even more so. The advantage of a console for gaming is that it's hooked up to your TV and you can just turn it on and go and play from the comfort of your couch or recliner. Adding a keyboard and mouse nullifies that. Look at the guy in the video playing a PS3 from a computer desk. Who actually as a PS3 set up like that and why?
January 31, 2008 6:43:15 PM

purplerat said:
Console keyboards have been around for a while, at least back to the Dreamcast as I can recall. The problem is that they are completely impractical and a mouse even more so. The advantage of a console for gaming is that it's hooked up to your TV and you can just turn it on and go and play from the comfort of your couch or recliner. Adding a keyboard and mouse nullifies that. Look at the guy in the video playing a PS3 from a computer desk. Who actually as a PS3 set up like that and why?

You missed the point. A mouse/keyboard combo that actually works well on a console game .UT3 was designed for the pc lover

Its for the people who like fps games.. Mouse and keyboard are superior to a controller... Only the console gamers will reject the idea because they know they would have an unnfair advantage. The ut3 even has a filter because of this
Related resources
February 1, 2008 3:28:51 AM

The game plays OK on the regular controller. As you can tell from my avatar I am an avid UT player, I can say that if I didnt have a PC then I would hook up my ps3 like this, but the game only runs @ 30 fps, which for a game the speed of UT3 is unacceptable for me. But to each his own. Just to see what is was like I played in a server that had Keyboard and mouse enabled and I got dead last after getting first multiple times in other servers that used only gamepads...lol, go figure...it wasnt even close.

Honestly I am truly just disappointed in the amount of people that actively play this game on both PS3 and PC. Even combined I bet there are a total of 300 people online or so, which is just sad vs Halo 3 and CoD 4, which on the 360 alone each of them on average has ~300 - 400k online, weekends are a whole different story...I mean seriously?!?

I just bought Supreme Command with the Expo (PC) as well Turok (360), so I will be playing those all weekend...cant wait until tomorrows day is over. Damn school is killin me lol

Best,

3Ball
February 1, 2008 3:47:16 AM

Has anyone ever marketed a console keyboard with an imbedded trackball that you can use while being a couch potato?
February 1, 2008 3:58:25 PM

Ananan said:
Has anyone ever marketed a console keyboard with an imbedded trackball that you can use while being a couch potato?

I've never seen one. We've tried using pc keyboards with built in trackballs, with mixed success.

One critical problem with using mouse/keyboards on console is that the game has to allow input.

Resistance Fall of Man, a favorite of someone here, doesn't work with mouse and keyboard. According to the developer, this is because they wanted to keep everyone on an "even playing field".

For more evidence on how much more precise mouse and keyboard are, just look at what happened with Shadowrun.
February 1, 2008 5:18:01 PM

LOL, why do I feel like i'm in the 3rd grade while watching that video..

"Hit enter!" LMAO!

I'm not really disappointed with how little ppl there playing UT3 (the number is usually closer to 700 online), my main issue is the game itself, needs new weapons, i'm ok with having axxon vehicles, but the nekris are way cooler, and god i'm tired of playing the same remade maps, they were awesome, but get some new original ideas! UT3 - unoriginality perfected! And ppl keep saying Assault was dead that's why they dropped it, I PLAYED ASSAULT.

as for m&k for consoles - whatever, it's just a really small pc that can do one trick and that you play from a couch.
February 1, 2008 7:10:01 PM

amddiesel said:
You missed the point. A mouse/keyboard combo that actually works well on a console game .UT3 was designed for the pc lover

Its for the people who like fps games.. Mouse and keyboard are superior to a controller... Only the console gamers will reject the idea because they know they would have an unnfair advantage. The ut3 even has a filter because of this

I didn't miss the point. Whether it's works better then previous attempts is really irelavent because a KB&M for a console is not going to be taking off anytime soon. Just like a PC can be connected to a TV and played like a console it's very impractical for most users. The reason KB&M support has never really developed for consoles, despite being available for a while, is that nobody really wants it.
!