Good idea, bad idea?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm considering buying a refurbished motherboard from newegg.com
Does this seem like a good idea or a bad idea? I'd be saving about $60 but it'd have only 30 day warranty. I'm highly considering the Abit BG7 because I just need stability, and to get my 1.6a to run 133 FSB for a friend, currently in my rig its running 2.4 GHz so I know its possible. What do you guys think?

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile:

Dreadnaught

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
i myself just bought a 2600+ with a 3 year warrenty instead of a 2700+ with a 30 day warrenty. i prefer having a little sense of security vs worrying after the first 30 days. hopefully the referb was just a return that was fine, vs already suffering from some sort of issue. *shrug* im guessing your an overclocker though, which "voids" the warrenty anyway which is the plus side to the oem world. *just my oppinions*

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Well, it is a great idea if it works, it is a bad idea if it doesn't. But you never know with refurbished products. I have had bad luck with them myself. I bought a refurbished JVC DVD player once with a 3 month warranty. 4 months later it got a short and started overheating so you could only play through about 1/4 of a DVD before it would crash.

I have had good luck on returned products that were upgraded though. My car mp3 player works great and has done so for over 7 months, but it was specified that it was not returned because it didn't work. I think the person just changed his mind and got something better. The other thing is that Crutchfield offers the same warranty to their returned products as their new products. I wish that all places offered the same warranty on refurbished products... it is like they are saying, "we think we fixed the problem, but we aren't sure"

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well for $55 I ordered the Abit BG7 and it has free shipping. I figure if it goes bad I can RMA it directly with Abit which I think costs around $25 plus some shipping. So even if something strange happens it will still end up being cheaper than retail (I think). And my friend doesn't want me to give him his PC until January so I have time in case something goes awry.

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile: