Crysis sales exceed 1 million

XD-1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
EA: Crysis Sales Strong - Exceeded Expectations

After listening to the Q3 2008 Electronic Arts Earnings Conference Call we have learned that Crysis has been a strong performer with sales having exceeded expectations. EA also reported Crysis reaching the platinum mark meaning over 1 million copies of the game have been sold worldwide.

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=612

Note to industry: Feel free to be experimental with gameplay and while scalability is always important in PC gaming, also feel free to push the tech! Great news IMO :D

bash007

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
This is indeed great news!
Crysis is really a great game, both graphically and gameplay-wise (that's coming from a guy who hated Far Cry), and deserves it, IMO.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
This really is good news as I was under the impression that it only sold ~100k after watching one of toms vids when they said that certain games weren't doin so well.

Best,

3Ball

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Not exactly -- Crysis sold about 86,000 in its first month in the U.S., which is a disappointment considerig the game got superb reviews and was arguably the most anticipated PC game of the 2007 fall/holiday season.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8352&Itemid=2

Don't get me wrong -- I don't wish to see Crysis or, any PC game for that matter, sell poorly. I'm glad the game has sold (or shipped, which is a very big difference -- see Halo 3 vs. Call of Duty 4 for more on that subject) 1 million copies worldwide. I just think a lot of folks, including me, expected the game to do better, especially in the states. And that fact that a game like Crysis, with all its hype and buzz, didn't sell more than some of the crappy Wii titles or multiplatform games like Kane &Lynch that didn't have nearly the buzz or reviews that Crysis did...well, that's a little depressing.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Does that include GPU bundles I wonder? I just got a copy of Crysis with my EVGA 8800GTX...

Although Crysis is a bit generic I like to see the tech being pushed as it lays the way a far more interesting of PC gaming - like perhaps Far Cry 2??

The game itself didn't blow me away the way that Doom 3 did so I guess it probably hit the right sales mark (especially given the demands it puts on systems hardware specs. for the higher levels of graphics.) I went back to play Doom 3 when my GPU caught up with it (X1950 Pro 512Mb vs. 9800 Pro 128Mb) but would I go back to play Crysis again - probably not!!

Bob

mi1ez

Splendid
I wonder how many people have been wary of buying it because of their system.
If your rig can just about handle the demo, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll cope with every part of the game.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

It's the reason why I haven't bought it yet. I will, when I get my new rig somewhere before the summer holidays. Hopefully it will be in the bargain bin by then but if it is still going strong it may still be full price (in which case I will "only" profit from the $ vs euro transfer rate :) ). At least there will still be plenty supply of the game when it's time for me to start playing it.

XD-1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

No idea about the bundles :??:

It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy Crysis very much :( it was hands down my favorite game of 2007 :D :D

However, it kind of makes sense if you are a huge Doom 3 fan (which I also enjoyed by the way). Run and gun, linear style, ala Doom 3, play in Crysis will really relegate it to a more "average" title. The sandbox, free-roam, object/environment interactivity, and the openness for player creativity is where it truly shines! For me, generic is by far the last word I would use to describe Crysis.

However, that in no way means it's everyone else's favorite style of play as well, nor should it be, the very good news is you didn't pay for it! :p

That's a good point, has anyone actually listened to the EA conference call? I've just been taking it on good faith that the reports that 1 million copies has been sold is accurate, and of course maybe shipped = sold (as in sold to retailers) in EA's terminology.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Agreed, and thanks for the numbers on the first month I couldn't remember what you had said. Nice avatar Rob...oh and I am also looking forward to SC2 (referring to you and Ben's recent vid) I just bought SupCom and FA to hold me over until it gets here. lol

Best,

3Ball

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I'm going to listen to the EA webcast this morning, in between some TF2 matches. Funny how the press release for EA's earnings, which weren't all that good considering the company LOST $33 million for the quarter, didn't even mention the supposed milestone sales figure for Crysis. Makes me wonder...

And as for my avatar, you've just been given a big clue as to my Steam nickname...

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

If CRYSIS:VENGANCE with enhanced DPRK throwing motion controls is what it takes to get more money in line for Crytek's next video card melting spectacular, preferably for better QA, or smarter flying jellyfish, then fling away.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Hi

My favourite game of all time is still Deus Ex 1. Its much more open-ended than Doom 3. I really found it hard to stop playing that game. I don't actually like the linear nature of Doom 3 but when you can max. out those graphics... and the whole Sci-Fi feel and sound... Its like playing a film. Same engine but... Quake 4 felt flat in comparison.

I haven't really tried out Crysis enough yet to say whether I will get sucked into it!! Also I need to do a serious hardware upgrade (like major 'cause everything is watercooled) this month or next... So the jury is out still. I am still very into playing Battlefield 2142 so I find it hard to get into other games just now!!

Bob

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Agreed, doom 3 - gripping, quake 4 - a bit flat.

Wasn't overly impressed with doom3, but what i LOVED was pciking up the PDAs, hiding in a quiet corner where i felt 'safe' reloading my biggest gun just in case lol, and listening to the audio log. "This is Dr Mitch Halstrom, ´we had some guy from maintenance brought into medical, strange marks on his body, more strange noises from the lower levels, gonna check it out..." and then you find his mangled body lol. Loved it.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Hi spoonboy

What I loved about Doom 3 was all the attention to detail with all the machines, displays, etc. The fact that some displays allowed control of security, platforms, etc. was a bonus!!

I think the graphics were ground breaking as I still see many Direct 9.0c games where only the lighting is better... A lot of good more modern games really cut corners with textures and the quality of objects (limited amount of polygons).

I am still blown away by the particle effects they created in Doom 3 with DirectX 8!!

I still haven't got past those Rhino things as I am only an amateur gamer and don't like to use cheats... One day perhaps!!

Bob

- Crysis sucked
- Doom 3's first level was AWESOME
- Doom 3 level 2 and beyond SUCKED

Right now money as tight as the Michigan economy sucks. I asked for one thing for Christmas, it was Crysis, and boy was I disappointed.

Crysis was good (above average) until halfway through when you're no longer fighting the Koreans. Then they game was HORRIBLE. Just plain HORRIBLE. The game was short and the second half of it was totally uninspired and just BORING.

Yesterday I reinstalled Far Cry. FarCry is by far the best game ever made for PC. Even better than Half Life or Half Life 2. Far Cry is completly opened ended and allows for many different strategies. In Crysis all the cloaking, uncloaking, and recharging got BORING.

One thing that did make Crysis a little more fun was turning down all the options except for Physics, turn those all the way up. Then you can actually destruct the environments.

All they needed to do was make a sequel to Far Cry with updated graphics, and they ruined it instead.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

When does the Doom 3 - level 2 start exactly?

Far Cry 2 is out this year... Crysis is not after all a Far Cry sequel and never was intended to be as such...

Bob

Doom 3 starts sucking as soon as the lights go out.

Thanks for the info about Far Cry 2.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

I like Doom 3 without the lights... Its a choice of guns or flashlight... Just don't like all the set pieces and linear nature of it...

FC2 has one of the those incredibly uninformative websites up. I think its set in savanna or jungle or something like that. People were asking for stampeding elephants in the forums!!

Bob

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
it's good to actually hear about pc games sales going up, with so many people just flat out not paying for games at all it really kills the market for all of us. I'm on the fence about the "sharing" thing because of how it affects the market in the long term. I would prefer to play a pc game over a console game most of the time, unless i've got friends over and we're all around one screen. And when a big group of people stop buying pc games entirely, smart developers stop making them. Why pour your hard work into something that won't sell? If you really want to try the game, get a demo, or something... or buy it used off one of your friends. or even a used game store will do.... honestly. If you want more pc games and better games... the best thing you can do is go out and BUY a good pc game. :p