ckf

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
I hope someone can help me!!

I had a PII-350MHz running on an A-bit 440 BX board which ran fine for 3 years.

All of a sudden it started to switch off without warning. This wasn't a graceful shutdown via Windows - it was as if I had just pulled the power cord out.

On pressing the Power button to restart it, nothing happened at all. To get the system back on again, I had to switch off the PSU, wait a second, and turn it all on again.

This allowed the PC to switch on. Within 10 seconds it had died again. This went on for over a week.

To cut a long story short, I replaced the PSU, motherboard, processor, RAM sticks, Graphics card and still the problem is evident. It has become worse though. Now, the system only lasts about 4-10 seconds at most.

I thought that maybe something was shorting out on the case, so I removed it all from the case and rebuilt it on my desk. It still happened.

Everything has been replaced except for the Hard disk as I can only get one of those.

I really cannot see what else could be the cause. It switches off, something trips so that I am forced to remove the power cord to reset it.

It doesn't get anywhere near loading Windows, so that's not the cause. It dies if just sitting in the BIOS screen.

If I remove the hard disk (the only original part left) it still dies.

It's not the switches, as I am now resorting to shorting the Power-up pins as it's no longer in the case.

Please, someone help before I torch the lot of it.

Regards
Craig.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Have you checked to see if your wall outlet is properly grounded? Try moving it to another outlet that you know works, like the one your TV is plugged into. Also try booting it up with out any hard drive and see if it stays on for more than 10 secs.

If you're an ugly bastard click <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"> here</A> to feel better about yourself.

ckf

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
It's grounded okay.
I tried removing everything - leaving just the mobo and PSU - it still died!

Any other ideas?

Latest posts