User Account after reinstall

mark

Because of a vicious Trojan my significant other
accidently downloaded, I had to reinstall XP Home
Edition. Everything worked well, fixed the problem(s),
and I can see the old user accounts on the C drive (so I
could copy doc folders, kids desktop, etc to new user
account). One problem I hadn't previously encountered:
one of the user logins was password protected. When I
click on the file under My Computer, it won't expand but
gives me an access denied error. How can I hack this old
user account - there are some important docs and financial
files on it that weren't on the backup?

Thanx,
Mark

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:04:07 -0700, Mark wrote:

> Because of a vicious Trojan my significant other
> accidently downloaded, I had to reinstall XP Home
> Edition. Everything worked well, fixed the problem(s),
> and I can see the old user accounts on the C drive (so I
> could copy doc folders, kids desktop, etc to new user
> account). One problem I hadn't previously encountered:
> one of the user logins was password protected. When I
> click on the file under My Computer, it won't expand but
> gives me an access denied error. How can I hack this old
> user account - there are some important docs and financial
> files on it that weren't on the backup?
>
> Thanx,
> Mark

Take ownership to regain access.
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

You can log on as Administrator and go to Control Panel->User Accounts. Then
select the account in question and delete the password. You don't have to
know the previous password to do this.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp