User Account after reinstall

Because of a vicious Trojan my significant other
accidently downloaded, I had to reinstall XP Home
Edition. Everything worked well, fixed the problem(s),
and I can see the old user accounts on the C drive (so I
could copy doc folders, kids desktop, etc to new user
account). One problem I hadn't previously encountered:
one of the user logins was password protected. When I
click on the file under My Computer, it won't expand but
gives me an access denied error. How can I hack this old
user account - there are some important docs and financial
files on it that weren't on the backup?

Thanx,
Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about user account reinstall

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:04:07 -0700, Mark wrote:

    > Because of a vicious Trojan my significant other
    > accidently downloaded, I had to reinstall XP Home
    > Edition. Everything worked well, fixed the problem(s),
    > and I can see the old user accounts on the C drive (so I
    > could copy doc folders, kids desktop, etc to new user
    > account). One problem I hadn't previously encountered:
    > one of the user logins was password protected. When I
    > click on the file under My Computer, it won't expand but
    > gives me an access denied error. How can I hack this old
    > user account - there are some important docs and financial
    > files on it that weren't on the backup?
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Mark

    Take ownership to regain access.
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    You can log on as Administrator and go to Control Panel->User Accounts. Then
    select the account in question and delete the password. You don't have to
    know the previous password to do this.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Because of a vicious Trojan my significant other
    | accidently downloaded, I had to reinstall XP Home
    | Edition. Everything worked well, fixed the problem(s),
    | and I can see the old user accounts on the C drive (so I
    | could copy doc folders, kids desktop, etc to new user
    | account). One problem I hadn't previously encountered:
    | one of the user logins was password protected. When I
    | click on the file under My Computer, it won't expand but
    | gives me an access denied error. How can I hack this old
    | user account - there are some important docs and financial
    | files on it that weren't on the backup?
    |
    | Thanx,
    | Mark

Windows XP