another newbie question about Linksys WRT54G

I have a Linksys WRT54G router with Sveasoft FW. I am considering buying
a Hwaking external antenna to increase its signal strength. However, it
has two antenna, can I specify both transmit and receive on one antenna
and replace it with the external antenna? Or should I just get two?
TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about another newbie question linksys wrt54g

    "NewsReader" <noemail@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys WRT54G router with Sveasoft FW. I am considering buying
    > a Hwaking external antenna to increase its signal strength. However, it
    > has two antenna, can I specify both transmit and receive on one antenna
    > and replace it with the external antenna? Or should I just get two?
    > TIA

    Just replace the right rear antenna - as you face the front panel of the
    router.

    --
    Bob Alston

    ---

    Bob Alston wrote:

    > "NewsReader" <noemail@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Linksys WRT54G router with Sveasoft FW. I am considering buying
    >>a Hwaking external antenna to increase its signal strength. However, it
    >>has two antenna, can I specify both transmit and receive on one antenna
    >>and replace it with the external antenna? Or should I just get two?
    >>TIA
    >>

    > Just replace the right rear antenna - as you face the front panel of the
    > router.

    May I ask why the right antenna?
    Thanks.

    > Bob Alston wrote:
    >
    > > "NewsReader" <noemail@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have a Linksys WRT54G router with Sveasoft FW. I am considering buying
    > >>a Hwaking external antenna to increase its signal strength. However, it
    > >>has two antenna, can I specify both transmit and receive on one antenna
    > >>and replace it with the external antenna? Or should I just get two?
    > >>TIA
    > >>

    > > Just replace the right rear antenna - as you face the front panel of the
    > > router.
    > >
    > May I ask why the right antenna?
    > Thanks.

    It is my understanding that the right rear antenna does all transmissions.
    Reception can be via either antenna. I installed a wireless system in oour
    marina and installed a +11 dBi antenna, replacing the right antenna only.
    Works well.

    --
    Bob Alston

    ---

Wireless Linksys Internet Wireless Networking