Windows start up error message

I just installed XP professional. At start up I get a
window that has the error message "Can't run 16-bit
Windows program. Insuffiecient memory to run this
application. Quit one or more Windows applications and
then try again. How do I know what program it is and
which running programs are causing the problem? Thank you
so much for your help.

Byte

"Too many irons in the fire". Do the following:
Start>Run>type MSCONFIG>OK
Click Startup tab and uncheck/disable all except your Anti-virus program,
if Norton, it will start with NAV.
Click Apply and then Close>reboot
Unchecking/disabling programs stops your Startup from using your systems
valuable resources, it does not delete anything. All programs will activate
by
just clicking their icons. :~)

"Rose B." wrote:

> I just installed XP professional. At start up I get a
> window that has the error message "Can't run 16-bit
> Windows program. Insuffiecient memory to run this
> application. Quit one or more Windows applications and
> then try again. How do I know what program it is and
> which running programs are causing the problem? Thank you
> so much for your help.

check the Event Log. Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event
Viewer. Look for errors. That might shed some light on the problem.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp