New build with Wolfdale & 8800GTS. barely runs medium settings Crysis

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Crysis
  • New Build
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 3, 2008 7:52:11 PM

I just built my first system and downloaded the Crysis demo last night.
Here are the specs:

Antec earthwatts 500watts PSU
gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
E8400 @ 3GHz
2x 1gb 667MHz dual channel
8800GTS 320mb
250GB SATA hd
vista 32bit

I can run Crysis on medium settings. Even at 1024x768 on high, it gets really choppy. What is bottlenecking me? I have all the windows updates. Is my graphics card a piece of crap or is it because the copy of the demo I have has sloppy code? It does say "PRERELEASE DEMO" on the top right hand corner during the whole game.

I know I should have gotten the 512mb gts. I didn't have a choice though. It was a birthday present from my girlfriend. She just knew I wanted the 8800 card. She said she called dell, and they were out of the GT, so she got me the GTS they had instead and she thought it was better because it was priced higher. I asked her how much it cost her. She paid $270 for it!!! It is evga and I can step up to the 8800GT for FREE because it costs less than what she paid dell for the 320mb gts. We still have to pay shipping and handling. So should I do that or buy the game and hope the full version is more optimized with the patches and stuff then the pre-release demo?

More about : build wolfdale 8800gts barely runs medium settings crysis

February 3, 2008 9:04:49 PM

Hi

I would step-up to the 8800GTS 512Mb if you are running Vista!! I just got a 8800GTX to play Crysis and thats only for Windows XP play under DirectX 9.0c.

What are the specs of those RAM sticks??

Bob
February 4, 2008 10:42:56 AM

8800gts 320 only does medium with acceptable fps (30+), I got the same card. I have the game, latest patch and drivers, hardly a difference, got some settings on very high (physics, sound and post processing, but motion blur is OFF).

The 320 is old, there's a new GTS (512) which is way better, but you can also get an 8800GT for around (or less) the same price as your GTS 320. If you can stepup to a GTS 512 I don't think you'd be disappointed (if the price is reasonable).
Related resources
February 4, 2008 11:14:05 AM

You need a better Video card if you want to run Crysis at higher/better settings.
February 11, 2008 6:55:07 PM

Your system is outstanding, but that videocard should have been taken off everyone's shelves and buried. For the price, it is a total rip-off. The 8800gt or the 8800gts (G92) 512 will really smarten that system up.

Also, if you are running DX10 on vista, well... You can't be helped. Two 8800 ultras in SLI won't give you good performance for DX10 on High.

Is it possible to run DX9 on Vista? Do that, and watch your performance rise.

February 12, 2008 5:11:00 PM

The problem isn't his video card, it's Vista. I had the same problem. After switching back to XP I'm running Crysis with everything on high settings with the DX10 hack and it runs fantastic. Vista is bloatware!
February 12, 2008 5:26:10 PM

Even though the old G80 GTS is outperformed and overpriced, it still should handle Crysis fine at that res. I've got the 640MB version and it played 1280x1024 through the entire game without a problem.

I'm inclined to believe that it is Vista or possible DX10 that is leaching performance.

To verify, I'd download some benchmarking tool and see what you score. You should be 9-11k with that setup. You can also download Process Explorer from Sysinterals and make sure you don't have a ton of Hardware Interupts and DPC's eating up your CPU time.
February 14, 2008 6:05:24 AM

funny because my x2 4000 + 8600gt runs this game well on medium/high (mix) 1280x1024, 15-25 fps. i see no reason why your system that cost 4x as much as mine would stutter on this
February 19, 2008 5:31:18 AM

You let your girlfriend buy you PC hardware?! I typically find that friends / family / girlfriends etc. don't know squat about buying computer stuff. My mother bought a printer back in the day for her Windows 95 PC, and was wondering why it wasn't working. Then I look on the side of the printer and it says "Compatible with Windows 98 and up" LOLZ

Anyway, back to your problem. You have 2 options to increase your performance: first off you can try to get the 8800 GTS (G92) like everyone else suggested. It's the newest GTS model and it's very fast compared to the older versions (it can keep up with the GTX). Second, you can upgrade your RAM and bump yourself up to 4GB (it's cheap, why not?) if you do both of those things you should be straight.

PS I also see you're playing the demo version of Crysis. The full retail version of Crysis has a patch out that improves performance. That could also be a factor.
February 19, 2008 12:33:38 PM

Quote:
You let your girlfriend buy you PC hardware?! I typically find that friends / family / girlfriends etc. don't know squat about buying computer stuff. My mother bought a printer back in the day for her Windows 95 PC, and was wondering why it wasn't working. Then I look on the side of the printer and it says "Compatible with Windows 98 and up" LOLZ
I've found similar results when asking others for gifts like that for my birthday / xmas. You can give relatives the exact serial number and a 1 page written description of the product and they'll A.) Still get the wrong thing or B.) The sales person will recommend something "better", which is actually worse yet somehow more expensive.
!