I can't open any .exe files

Gene

I can't open any .exe files other
than explorer, all of my icons in the program list and
desktop have an iexplorer icon. It seems that my file
types are messed up. I also get the message "Windows
cannot open this file"(needs to know what created
program) when I try to open anything, including system
restore, msconfig, regedit, etc.

Any ideas? what could be causing this in the first place?

So far I've received following advice, but have not had a
chance to try it yet:

For starters check to see if the drive letter these
programs are located on has changed (for example drive C
is now D in My Computer. Navigate directly to the program
you want to run and open it insted of using the shortcut
and see if it opens that way. For example to open
regedit: Go to My Computer and navigate here
C:\WINDOWS\regedit

Riddle time: when does an EXE not act like an EXE?

When its file association is messed up.

But wait! An EXE doesn't have a file association. Or does it?

Well, yes and no. The association is... itself.

I'm talking about this kind of error: "Windows cannot find PROGRAM.EXE.
This program is needed for opening files of type 'Application.'"

What to do?
Fire up your Registry editor;
navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Classes \ Exefile \ Shell \ Open
\ Command.

Now, whatever value is in there needs to be replaced with the following:
"%1" %* (exactly as shown).

You should only have to do this when your EXEs have stopped launching
properly.
%1 in the string defines the object. As a matter of fact, you can also use
the %1 trick to change the default icons for BMP, ICO, CUR, ANI, ICL, DLL,
or CPL files.

Look up at the exefile's DefaultIcon key. See how the data column has a %1?
Peruse through the Classes key until you find the filetype name (its
extension towards the top of the list will let you know precisely).

For instance, BMP is also classified as Paint.Picture. Change its default
icon to %1 and you'll have BMP thumbnails in all of Explorer's views instead
of the default BMP icon.

"Gene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't open any .exe files other
> than explorer, all of my icons in the program list and
> desktop have an iexplorer icon. It seems that my file
> types are messed up. I also get the message "Windows
> cannot open this file"(needs to know what created
> program) when I try to open anything, including system
> restore, msconfig, regedit, etc.
>
> Any ideas? what could be causing this in the first place?
>
> So far I've received following advice, but have not had a
> chance to try it yet:

> For starters check to see if the drive letter these
> programs are located on has changed (for example drive C
> is now D in My Computer. Navigate directly to the program
> you want to run and open it insted of using the shortcut
> and see if it opens that way. For example to open
> regedit: Go to My Computer and navigate here
> C:\WINDOWS\regedit

Gene

Thanks for the help. I'll give this a try!
Gene.