7135 National Access?

I have a Kyo 6035 which I would like to upgrade to the 7135
when the price comes down some. But the 7135 is not listed
as "national access".

Does this mean the 7135 lacks analog mode, or what?
There are places around here where my 6035 reverts to
analog.
--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX <caf@omen.com> wrote:
> Does this mean the 7135 lacks analog mode, or what?

No. A quick check of the specs would have told you that.

- Paul

;
; Does this mean the 7135 lacks analog mode, or what?
; There are places around here where my 6035 reverts to
; analog.

The 7135 is NationalAccess capable, I use it. According to the specs,
it does have analog, but I have never, ever, seen my go to analog even
in places where my previous phones would. So I disabled it in the
phone prefs to save some battery power.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"I was so afraid for you, I forgot to be afraid for your enemies. I
should have remembered. Dear Captain." (Aral Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster
Bujold, "Barrayar"])

Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:
> According to the specs, it does have analog, but I have never, ever, seen my
> go to analog even in places where my previous phones would. So I disabled it
> in the phone prefs to save some battery power.

If it doesn't actually go into Analog, I don't think it saves
anything by turning it off. (The reason the switch is there is
to prevent analog roaming, methinks.)

- Paul

In article <19ptc.57675$zZ1.52541@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
Paul J. Lucas <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:
>Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:
>> According to the specs, it does have analog, but I have never, ever, seen my
>> go to analog even in places where my previous phones would. So I disabled it
>> in the phone prefs to save some battery power.
>
> If it doesn't actually go into Analog, I don't think it saves
> anything by turning it off. (The reason the switch is there is
> to prevent analog roaming, methinks.)

Analog and roaming are two unrelated things. You can roam on digital and
be using your home network on analog. The "analog=roaming" association
is primarily due to SprintPCS, whose own network is all digital, and
(until recently) they disabled digital roaming on their phones. It does
not apply to cellular providers like Verizon Wireless.

Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Paul J. Lucas said:

; Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:
; > According to the specs, it does have analog, but I have never, ever, seen my
; > go to analog even in places where my previous phones would. So I disabled it
; > in the phone prefs to save some battery power.
;
; If it doesn't actually go into Analog, I don't think it saves
; anything by turning it off. (The reason the switch is there is
; to prevent analog roaming, methinks.)

I'm thinking that it may be trying to find an analog signal before
giving up. The time spent in analog is therefore wasting battery
power.

It's only guesswork on my part. The only certainty I have is that it
has never found an analog signal when it looses digital in fringe
areas, and I now live in a fringe area.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its
government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
> Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Paul J. Lucas said:
>
> ; Jeffrey Kaplan <acv@gordol.org> wrote:
> ; > According to the specs, it does have analog, but I have never, ever,
seen my
> ; > go to analog even in places where my previous phones would. So I
disabled it
> ; > in the phone prefs to save some battery power.
> ;
> ; If it doesn't actually go into Analog, I don't think it saves
> ; anything by turning it off. (The reason the switch is there is
> ; to prevent analog roaming, methinks.)
>
> I'm thinking that it may be trying to find an analog signal before
> giving up. The time spent in analog is therefore wasting battery
> power.
>
> It's only guesswork on my part. The only certainty I have is that it
> has never found an analog signal when it looses digital in fringe
> areas, and I now live in a fringe area.

My 7135 has on occasion switched to analog, but it sure searches for a
digital signal for a long time before switching.

Alan