instructions for ad-aware

Can anyone tell me where I could find info for installing
ad-aware before I actually start running it. I have been
reading posts from people running it on ad-aware website
who are having problems with all sorts of things. I am
new to all this and am afraid I might not know how to do
such things as backing up the registry and safe mode
boots and so on and so on. Is there any help for new
users anywhere before they get in over their own head? I
have aol.spyware running but it scans, finds 16
items,starts blocking then freezes up. Thank you for any
info.

You don't need to use safemode or backup the registry to use Ad-Aware. Just
install it.

However if you want to backup the registry use the builtin backup program
and check to backup the systemstate.
For safemode it's usually just a matter of pressing F8 repatidly upon restart.

John.

to download freeware and shareware for computers. Ad-
aware by Lavasoft recently released an updated Personal
Edition 1.05. It is free and can be downloaded from the
aforementioned website. It is very very good at detecting
spyware and malicious tracking cookies and removing
them.Purchase is required for updates and more features,
but the freeware is sufficient. Do check the website
regularly for the free updated version. *Keep track of
versions to stay up to date. Hope this was helpful.

Hope,

Two items.

ONE. Ad-aware will remove most typical adware programs. Upon installation,
make sure that you perform the Check for updates routine. However, there are
several which fall into the malware catagory that it cannot remove. Our
computer club has used PestPatrol with great success. Even with PestPatrol,
some can't be removed until they get their definitions to cover the new ones.

TWO. If you are using XP Home, the backup program is not built in.
Yes, it is included! It’s just not installed by default.
To install Windows Backup you will need your Windows XP Home Edition CD. Use
Windows Explorer to open the \valueadd\Msft\Ntbackup folder and then double
click Ntbackup.msi
If your computer came with only a “system recovery� CD instead of a full
Windows CD, finding Ntbackup.msi is not so easy. I suggest that you contact
your computer manufacturer’s support people for instructions to locate and
install.
Once installed, it works exactly as in Windows XP Professional, with one
important exception. You can’t restore your system using Automated System
Recovery.

"John Paul" wrote:

> You don't need to use safemode or backup the registry to use Ad-Aware. Just
> install it.
>
> However if you want to backup the registry use the builtin backup program
> and check to backup the systemstate.
> For safemode it's usually just a matter of pressing F8 repatidly upon restart.
>

> John.

map

"Hope" wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I could find info for installing
> ad-aware before I actually start running it. I have been
> reading posts from people running it on ad-aware website
> who are having problems with all sorts of things. I am
> new to all this and am afraid I might not know how to do
> such things as backing up the registry and safe mode
> boots and so on and so on. Is there any help for new
> users anywhere before they get in over their own head? I
> have aol.spyware running but it scans, finds 16
> items,starts blocking then freezes up. Thank you for any
> info.

Once installed read the included help files to learn how to use it.

Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
stack from working (Internet connection).
Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
"imon.dll" this fix reports,That is your e/mail scanning engine.

LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
BHODemon - http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23611&fileidx=1
Bazooka -http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
Sygate Firewall- http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm

A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

A listing of BHO's
http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
http://www.spychecker.com/