instructions for ad-aware

Can anyone tell me where I could find info for installing
ad-aware before I actually start running it. I have been
reading posts from people running it on ad-aware website
who are having problems with all sorts of things. I am
new to all this and am afraid I might not know how to do
such things as backing up the registry and safe mode
boots and so on and so on. Is there any help for new
users anywhere before they get in over their own head? I
have aol.spyware running but it scans, finds 16
items,starts blocking then freezes up. Thank you for any
info.
4 answers Last reply
More about instructions aware

    You don't need to use safemode or backup the registry to use Ad-Aware. Just
    install it.

    However if you want to backup the registry use the builtin backup program
    and check to backup the systemstate.
    For safemode it's usually just a matter of pressing F8 repatidly upon restart.

    John.

    to download freeware and shareware for computers. Ad-
    aware by Lavasoft recently released an updated Personal
    Edition 1.05. It is free and can be downloaded from the
    aforementioned website. It is very very good at detecting
    spyware and malicious tracking cookies and removing
    them.Purchase is required for updates and more features,
    but the freeware is sufficient. Do check the website
    regularly for the free updated version. *Keep track of
    versions to stay up to date. Hope this was helpful.

    Hope,

    Two items.

    ONE. Ad-aware will remove most typical adware programs. Upon installation,
    make sure that you perform the Check for updates routine. However, there are
    several which fall into the malware catagory that it cannot remove. Our
    computer club has used PestPatrol with great success. Even with PestPatrol,
    some can't be removed until they get their definitions to cover the new ones.

    TWO. If you are using XP Home, the backup program is not built in.
    Yes, it is included! It’s just not installed by default.
    To install Windows Backup you will need your Windows XP Home Edition CD. Use
    Windows Explorer to open the \valueadd\Msft\Ntbackup folder and then double
    click Ntbackup.msi
    If your computer came with only a “system recovery� CD instead of a full
    Windows CD, finding Ntbackup.msi is not so easy. I suggest that you contact
    your computer manufacturer’s support people for instructions to locate and
    install.
    Once installed, it works exactly as in Windows XP Professional, with one
    important exception. You can’t restore your system using Automated System
    Recovery.

    "Hope" wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me where I could find info for installing
    > ad-aware before I actually start running it. I have been
    > reading posts from people running it on ad-aware website
    > who are having problems with all sorts of things. I am
    > new to all this and am afraid I might not know how to do
    > such things as backing up the registry and safe mode
    > boots and so on and so on. Is there any help for new
    > users anywhere before they get in over their own head? I
    > have aol.spyware running but it scans, finds 16
    > items,starts blocking then freezes up. Thank you for any
    > info.

    Once installed read the included help files to learn how to use it.

    Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
    stack from working (Internet connection).
    Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
    Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
    "imon.dll" this fix reports,That is your e/mail scanning engine.

    LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

    About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
    Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
    Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
    BHODemon - http://pcworld.com/downloads/file_download.asp?fid=23611&fileidx=1
    Bazooka -http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
    asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    Sygate Firewall- http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
    NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
    http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm

    A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
    http://virusall.com/downscan.html

    A listing of BHO's
    http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

    To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
    is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
    http://www.spychecker.com/

Windows XP