Sign in with
Your question

i got an idea which needs answerin about ps3 and my monitor...

Last response: in Video Games
February 6, 2008 3:32:02 PM

Hi all @ toms hardware,

ive just recently bought a gaming computer witha sweet 22" screen, but all my friends at school play ps3, so anyway i am going to save up for a ps3 but i dont want to have to get a new TV, now the interesting part

i know that the ps3 uses a HDMI port for amazing quality and i have one of the newer monitors out, Samsung 2232BW
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/features.do?g...

so i was going to buy a DVI-D cable splitter and have 1 DVI cable to pc and 1 DVI cable to ps3 with a DVI to HDMI adapter connected to it. I am hoping this would work for the picture but since my monitor doesnt have speakers i will need an adaptor for my logitech x-540 speakers to change the sound from those 3x 3.5mm male to whatever the ps3 uses, i already have 1 of these :
http://reviews.pricegrabber.co.uk/cables-adapters/m/139...

does the ps3 use those white and red rca cables?

help would be great :D , thanks for reading

(ps. does any1 know where i can get a DVi-D cable splitter with a switch to go between whcih port used)
February 6, 2008 5:29:20 PM

comon any1 at all?
February 6, 2008 6:02:24 PM

i think the ps3 default cable is the red/white/yellow combo, where red and white is for you audio and yellow for video. so to answer your question, yes it should have those cables. also, if i understood your intended setup, you're going to have to use both the HDMI output (for video), and the regular output(for audio). im uncertain if the ps3 will allow u this option, but if it does you're probably going to need to set these manually in the video/audio settings. lastly, if your monitor is 22", you're probably not going to get 1080p as that requires a 24" monitor
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 6, 2008 6:34:14 PM

how can i find out what "p" my monitor actually is?
February 6, 2008 6:34:42 PM

oh and yeh ur correct about the setup i want using both cables
February 6, 2008 6:45:02 PM

hmm i think my monitor is 720p, is that not good enough for ps3? since some people dont actually use the ps3 on crappy 14" TV's from year 2000
February 6, 2008 8:41:20 PM

720p is perfectly fine, and since your monitor is probaly 1680x1050 resolution, you'll have no problem displaying it. just be aware that if u try to set your ps3 output to 1080p you would need a bigger monitor to actually view it
February 6, 2008 9:08:11 PM

yeh im fine with my 1680 x 1050 resolution
i only need to knwo this one thing...
if the ps3 will allow me to use both the leads for the audio and the HDMI cable
because otherwise i willnot have sound
February 9, 2008 9:56:50 PM

yes, you can select where the audio is going to be (HDMI, PS port or Optical).
February 10, 2008 1:39:10 PM

so u can have picture on hdmi and audio on the other wire... kwl
February 10, 2008 4:25:31 PM

It should work fine. Although I do not have a ps3, I had an HDTV with no HDMI hooked up to an upscaling DVD player. I used a HDMI to DVI adapter to hook the DVD to my TV. I just used the red and white audio cables to send the audio from the DVD player to the TV. It worked fine, I did not have to adjust any setting for DVDs to play fine with audio.
February 11, 2008 10:04:20 PM

It will work fine. Once you setup the ps3 to display through hdmi, it auto sets the sound for the same. You just have to go into audio settings and tell it to use component (red white).

I had to do it for a mate. 1080i on his hd projector looked amazing, just a shame we only had pro evo!
!