Can't open folders in desktop

I tried opening up a folder on my desktop but it was unsuccessful.
The problem also occurs When I tried to gain access to the
A, C, D, and E drives.
Instead a message came up as "windows explorer has encountered a
problem and needs to close". The error signature is as follows:

AppName explorer.exe
AppVer 6.0.2900.2180
ModName msvcrt.dll
ModVer 7.0.2600.2180
OffSet 00037fd4

I don't understand what this means and I believe that one of the
windows files is corrupted.
I ran Norton's system doctor but it didn't fix the problem.

Can anyone please help me find a solution for this problem.
Looking foward to hearing from anybody.
1 answer Last reply
More about open folders desktop

    "Chris" <elektroboy@iprimus.com.au.(donotspam)> wrote:

    >I tried opening up a folder on my desktop but it was unsuccessful.
    >The problem also occurs When I tried to gain access to the
    >A, C, D, and E drives.
    >Instead a message came up as "windows explorer has encountered a
    >problem and needs to close". The error signature is as follows:

    Check your startup settings to find out if software running in the
    background is causing this. Applications that start with Windows can
    be found here:
    - the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
    - the Registry keys
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    - the folders
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
    See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
    XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
    Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

    --
    (tm)