Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Home - clean install - problem with broadband

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:55:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my modem
(+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can connect ok
for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me the
'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on, so I
don't think the modem is at fault here.

Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?

Cheers

rjlaidlow
September 22, 2004 8:29:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have you looked for XP compatible drivers for your modem?
"Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:180FF05D-A9A2-4D22-ACD4-EB596DD7904A@microsoft.com...
> After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my
> modem
> (+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can connect
> ok
> for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me
> the
> 'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on, so
> I
> don't think the modem is at fault here.
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?
>
> Cheers
>
> rjlaidlow
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 9:53:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
what...


"Unknown" wrote:

> Have you looked for XP compatible drivers for your modem?
> "Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:180FF05D-A9A2-4D22-ACD4-EB596DD7904A@microsoft.com...
> > After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my
> > modem
> > (+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can connect
> > ok
> > for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me
> > the
> > 'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on, so
> > I
> > don't think the modem is at fault here.
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > rjlaidlow
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:10:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:53:04 -0700, Rjlaidlow wrote:

> Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
> to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
> occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
> problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
> what...

USB modem? Don't know if this will help but you may want to try it. Go to
System Properties> Hardware> Device Manager. Double click the USB Root Hub
to bring up its properties. On the Power Management page, uncheck the box
next to "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

You may find that you have more than one USB Root Hub in Device Manager. If
unable to determine the one that has the USB Modem plugged into it, you
should probably start by making this change on all of them and then test to
be sure it helps with the modem disconnect problem. If it does help, you
could leave it as is or experiment with enabling/disabling this setting on
each root hub until you hit on the one that applies to the modem.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
September 23, 2004 8:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I get that situation at times and it is allways the server at the ISP.
However, I suggest you update XP to the SP2 level to see if that helps.
"Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AFB0FDA6-39BB-4F69-BEED-AF7689DB0C24@microsoft.com...
>
> Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
> to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
> occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
> problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
> what...
>
>
> "Unknown" wrote:
>
>> Have you looked for XP compatible drivers for your modem?
>> "Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:180FF05D-A9A2-4D22-ACD4-EB596DD7904A@microsoft.com...
>> > After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my
>> > modem
>> > (+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can
>> > connect
>> > ok
>> > for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me
>> > the
>> > 'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on,
>> > so
>> > I
>> > don't think the modem is at fault here.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > rjlaidlow
>>
>>
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 5:41:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks , I'll give this a go tonight and see what happens.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:53:04 -0700, Rjlaidlow wrote:
>
> > Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
> > to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
> > occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
> > problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
> > what...
>
> USB modem? Don't know if this will help but you may want to try it. Go to
> System Properties> Hardware> Device Manager. Double click the USB Root Hub
> to bring up its properties. On the Power Management page, uncheck the box
> next to "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."
>
> You may find that you have more than one USB Root Hub in Device Manager. If
> unable to determine the one that has the USB Modem plugged into it, you
> should probably start by making this change on all of them and then test to
> be sure it helps with the modem disconnect problem. If it does help, you
> could leave it as is or experiment with enabling/disabling this setting on
> each root hub until you hit on the one that applies to the modem.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>
!