Windows XP Home - clean install - problem with broadband

After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my modem
(+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can connect ok
for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me the
'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on, so I
don't think the modem is at fault here.

Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?

Cheers

rjlaidlow

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Have you looked for XP compatible drivers for your modem?
"Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my
> modem
> (+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can connect
> ok
> for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me
> the
> 'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on, so
> don't think the modem is at fault here.
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?
>
> Cheers
>
> rjlaidlow

Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
what...

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:53:04 -0700, Rjlaidlow wrote:

> Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
> to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
> occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
> problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
> what...

USB modem? Don't know if this will help but you may want to try it. Go to
System Properties> Hardware> Device Manager. Double click the USB Root Hub
to bring up its properties. On the Power Management page, uncheck the box
next to "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

You may find that you have more than one USB Root Hub in Device Manager. If
unable to determine the one that has the USB Modem plugged into it, you
should probably start by making this change on all of them and then test to
be sure it helps with the modem disconnect problem. If it does help, you
could leave it as is or experiment with enabling/disabling this setting on
each root hub until you hit on the one that applies to the modem.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

I get that situation at times and it is allways the server at the ISP.
However, I suggest you update XP to the SP2 level to see if that helps.

> Yes, I've installed all the latest drivers for the modem. I also signed up
> to a new internet provider using the internal modem, and the same problem is
> occuring with that. As the USB modem and dial up are having the same
> problems, I think this may have more to do with XP, although I have no idea
> what...
>

> "Unknown" wrote:
>
>> Have you looked for XP compatible drivers for your modem?
>> "Rjlaidlow" <Rjlaidlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After upgrading from ME to XP with a clean install, I have installed my
>> > modem
>> > (+drivers) again, but am having problems staying connected. I can
>> > connect
>> > ok
>> > for the first two minutes, then the connection no longer works, giving me
>> > the
>> > 'Page Cannot be displayed' on every web page. The modem lights stay on,
>> > so
>> > don't think the modem is at fault here.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any clues as to to what the problem may be?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > rjlaidlow

Thanks , I'll give this a go tonight and see what happens.