Poison Nova fireworks?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 25, 2005 4:27:29 PM

So, BotD looks like a fun toy to play with. 50% chance to cast Poison
Nova when you kill an enemy. If I use that in Normal A3 or Cow, will
that trigger fireworks / chain reaction, since the Nova itself is
probably enough to kill the surrounding party right? Well, if the nova
is on the wielder then it won't be as pretty :(  I am hoping it would
be on 50% of the corpses created.

If the above can happen, what char should use it? A friend suggested
Frenzy Barbie with eBotD Zerker and Doom Zerker. Let's just assume for
one moment, I can afford any items in the game, so I can benchmark how
far I can still go. In the case of such Barbie, what should I be
paying attention to in terms of the rest of the gears? Skillwise I
think it's pretty standard, max synergy, max BO, few points in crowd
control cries and all the 1 point wonders.
If not a Frenzy Barbie, what other chars can wield a BotD effectively?
Same question as above I guess, what aspects should I be paying
attention to in terms of the rest of the gears.

If such Nova fireworks can't happen, what chars are fun to be toying
with? Again, let's assume I have all items. Blizzywitch with Fathom,
Nightwing, CoH, 4Facet Monarch, Infinity merc? Javazon with Infinity
merc (since it reduces LR by 50% or so)?Thanks for your suggestions.
Please chip in whatever idea, crazy or non, that you come across :)

More about : poison nova fireworks

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:50:45 PM

Alice wrote:
> So, BotD looks like a fun toy to play with. 50% chance to cast
Poison
> Nova when you kill an enemy. If I use that in Normal A3 or Cow, will
> that trigger fireworks / chain reaction, since the Nova itself is
> probably enough to kill the surrounding party right? Well, if the
nova
> is on the wielder then it won't be as pretty :(  I am hoping it would
> be on 50% of the corpses created.
>
> If the above can happen, what char should use it? A friend suggested
> Frenzy Barbie with eBotD Zerker and Doom Zerker. Let's just assume
for
> one moment, I can afford any items in the game, so I can benchmark
how
> far I can still go. In the case of such Barbie, what should I be
> paying attention to in terms of the rest of the gears? Skillwise I
> think it's pretty standard, max synergy, max BO, few points in crowd
> control cries and all the 1 point wonders.
> If not a Frenzy Barbie, what other chars can wield a BotD
effectively?
> Same question as above I guess, what aspects should I be paying
> attention to in terms of the rest of the gears.
>
> If such Nova fireworks can't happen, what chars are fun to be toying
> with? Again, let's assume I have all items. Blizzywitch with
Fathom,
> Nightwing, CoH, 4Facet Monarch, Infinity merc? Javazon with Infinity
> merc (since it reduces LR by 50% or so)?Thanks for your suggestions.
> Please chip in whatever idea, crazy or non, that you come across :)

My favorite char to play is still either a meatgrinder necro or a
rocket sorc. The rocket sorc is fun, especially when you are helping
friends power level. She can blow away the throne room in record time.

Mickey
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:58:39 PM

> My favorite char to play is still either a meatgrinder necro or a
> rocket sorc. The rocket sorc is fun, especially when you are helping
> friends power level. She can blow away the throne room in record time.

That's Nova/Fireball right? What skills do you pick with fireball? It
seems it's more efficient to put one point into Fire Mastery and the rest
into either firebolt or meteor for the synergy bonus. Unless I'm mistaken
and the Mastery bonus is applied to the adjusted synergy total...

> Mickey

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:26:48 AM

"Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> So, BotD looks like a fun toy to play with. 50% chance to cast Poison
> Nova when you kill an enemy. If I use that in Normal A3 or Cow, will
> that trigger fireworks / chain reaction, since the Nova itself is
> probably enough to kill the surrounding party right?

Yep.

> Well, if the nova is on the wielder then it won't be as pretty :(  I am
hoping it would
> be on 50% of the corpses created.

It acts as if the wielder cast Poison Nova.

> If the above can happen, what char should use it?

Any common melee char? It has 60 IAS on weapon and high damage so it's good
for were druids and whirly barbs, high damage and speed make it popular for
zealots, paired with another weapon makes it useful for frenzy barbs, etc.

> A friend suggested
> Frenzy Barbie with eBotD Zerker and Doom Zerker.

eBotD zerker and Beast zerker is FAR more popular, but either work.

> If not a Frenzy Barbie, what other chars can wield a BotD effectively?

It's a very fast, very high damage, stat boosting, AR boosting melee weapon.
What melee char CAN'T wield one and remain effective?

> Same question as above I guess, what aspects should I be paying
> attention to in terms of the rest of the gears.

Basically the standard gear for a zealot, frenzy barb, werewolf druid, or
whirly barb.
February 27, 2005 3:01:11 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > So, BotD looks like a fun toy to play with. 50% chance to cast
Poison
> > Nova when you kill an enemy. If I use that in Normal A3 or Cow,
will
> > that trigger fireworks / chain reaction, since the Nova itself is
> > probably enough to kill the surrounding party right?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Well, if the nova is on the wielder then it won't be as pretty :(
I am
> hoping it would
> > be on 50% of the corpses created.
>
> It acts as if the wielder cast Poison Nova.

Aaahhh, oh well. Still the prettiest weapon I think.

> eBotD zerker and Beast zerker is FAR more popular, but either work.

Ok, thanks.

> > Same question as above I guess, what aspects should I be paying
> > attention to in terms of the rest of the gears.
>
> Basically the standard gear for a zealot, frenzy barb, werewolf
druid, or
> whirly barb.

Since I already have a Zealot and WW barbie, I guess I will stick with
Frenzy one this time. This probably means another CoA, Duress,
Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring, Verdungo, Goreriders, and
Draculs right (in addition to the two aforementioned axes)?
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:09:54 PM

> Since I already have a Zealot and WW barbie, I guess I will stick with
> Frenzy one this time. This probably means another CoA,

Yeah, or Guillames, or whatever other helms of choice.

> Duress, Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring, Verdungo, Goreriders, and
> Draculs right (in addition to the two aforementioned axes)?

Pretty much, yeah. Fortitude armor is also an option.
February 28, 2005 12:11:49 AM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Since I already have a Zealot and WW barbie, I guess I will stick
with
> > Frenzy one this time. This probably means another CoA,
>
> Yeah, or Guillames, or whatever other helms of choice.

Since CoA has resist, this will probably be a better choice right?

> > Duress, Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring, Verdungo,
Goreriders, and
> > Draculs right (in addition to the two aforementioned axes)?
>
> Pretty much, yeah. Fortitude armor is also an option.

Would you suggest CoH instead of Duress or Fortitude? Since I figure,
without shield, this guy will have trouble reaching half a decent
resist. I think one of the axes has a leech, so perhaps I can put a
resist ring instead of a dual leech one?

I'm guessing, even though he is a barbie, the best armor would still be
of light elite types?
February 28, 2005 12:55:12 AM

Alice wrote:
> Shiflet wrote:
> > "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Since I already have a Zealot and WW barbie, I guess I will stick
> with
> > > Frenzy one this time. This probably means another CoA,
> >
> > Yeah, or Guillames, or whatever other helms of choice.
>
> Since CoA has resist, this will probably be a better choice right?

Agh, forget about Arreat Face. This should work as well as CoA, I
think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this hat
(one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)

> > > Duress, Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring, Verdungo,
> Goreriders, and
> > > Draculs right (in addition to the two aforementioned axes)?
> >
> > Pretty much, yeah. Fortitude armor is also an option.
>
> Would you suggest CoH instead of Duress or Fortitude? Since I
figure,
> without shield, this guy will have trouble reaching half a decent
> resist. I think one of the axes has a leech, so perhaps I can put a
> resist ring instead of a dual leech one?
>
> I'm guessing, even though he is a barbie, the best armor would still
be
> of light elite types?

Another question that comes to my mind now. What merc best accompanies
a Frenzy barbie? Defiance with Doom, Might with Doom, Holy Freeze with
Pride, Might with Pride, or others?
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:53:53 AM

> > Yeah, or Guillames, or whatever other helms of choice.
>
> Since CoA has resist, this will probably be a better choice right?

Depends on what resists you get from gear and other equipment. Not to
mention 1 point in Nat. Resist and a few +skills(2 on Beast, 1 on Highlords,
1 from Battle Command puts you at +4 already) will add an extra 40 resists.
CoA could quite possibly be better. It also has DR, and customization
options(which, if we're discussing this as a "what if I could have any items
in the game" scenario, you could fill it out with Bers for more DR, or Ums
to add even more resists), always a plus.

> Would you suggest CoH instead of Duress or Fortitude?

Possibly, but doubtful. I'd most likely use Duress or Fort and make up the
rest with charms.

> Since I figure, without shield, this guy will have trouble reaching half
a decent
> resist.

Lemme see here, a setup with CoA and Duress:
Duress-15 all(45 cold)
minimum resist CoA-20
Anya x3-30
Nat Resist level 5-40

That's 115 res all, 145 res cold. Kinda poor indeed.

With a setup using CoA/Fortitude, we get:
Fort-25-30 all
CoA-20-30 all
Anya x3-30 all
Nat Resist lvl 5-40 all

That puts us somewhere between 115-130 res all right there. Assuming a ring
with say, 10% resist all and that sets us at 125-140 res all. Can Um(or res
all jewel) the CoA for an extra 15, boosting up to 140-155. That still
leaves 20-35 short of max, so you'd still need some resistance charms or
another Um in the CoA to max it out. Really depends on what resists your CoA
and Fortitude got, if you got perfect ones and could spend an Um on the CoA,
maxing resists shouldn't be too hard. Put 2 Ums in the Coa and maxing
resists are not a problem at all, though I had access to anything, I'd
prefer a Ber/Um combo.

> I think one of the axes has a leech, so perhaps I can put a
> resist ring instead of a dual leech one?

BotD is dual leech, so yeah, you could use a resist ring. For me, when I
think of dual leech rings, I automatically plan on using one with
resistances so I just assume 10-15 there without thinking.

> I'm guessing, even though he is a barbie, the best armor would still be
> of light elite types?

Aye.
February 28, 2005 3:23:55 AM

Shiflet wrote:
> "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this
hat
> > (one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)
>
> Upgrading it usually gives a defense boost, but it's not 100%. Plain
> Arreat's Face always has 121 base def, the base def on an upped one
ranges
> from 117 to 168. If you roll a 117-121 one, you'll get equal or less
def but
> with higher(196 as opposed to 118) strength requirements.

Oh wow, 196 str, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the info :)

> > Another question that comes to my mind now. What merc best
accompanies
> > a Frenzy barbie? Defiance with Doom, Might with Doom, Holy Freeze
with
> > Pride, Might with Pride, or others?
>
> This one is easy, Might with Doom.

So does the lvl 18 Concentration aura on Pride not help melee attacks?
Or does the benefit from slowed monsters simply outweighs the benefit
of increased damage?
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:11:31 AM

"Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Agh, forget about Arreat Face. This should work as well as CoA,

You get

> I think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this hat
> (one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)

Upgrading it usually gives a defense boost, but it's not 100%. Plain
Arreat's Face always has 121 base def, the base def on an upped one ranges
from 117 to 168. If you roll a 117-121 one, you'll get equal or less def but
with higher(196 as opposed to 118) strength requirements.

> Another question that comes to my mind now. What merc best accompanies
> a Frenzy barbie? Defiance with Doom, Might with Doom, Holy Freeze with
> Pride, Might with Pride, or others?

This one is easy, Might with Doom.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:04:32 PM

Rod Runnheim wrote:
> > My favorite char to play is still either a meatgrinder necro or a
> > rocket sorc. The rocket sorc is fun, especially when you are
helping
> > friends power level. She can blow away the throne room in record
time.

> That's Nova/Fireball right? What skills do you pick with fireball?
It
> seems it's more efficient to put one point into Fire Mastery and the
rest
> into either firebolt or meteor for the synergy bonus. Unless I'm
mistaken
> and the Mastery bonus is applied to the adjusted synergy total...

Correct. I max Fbolt, FBall and Nova, put a point or 2 into FM and pump
up LM, SF and ES.

Mickey
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:22:06 PM

"Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Shiflet wrote:
> > "Alice" <malice_diablo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > So, BotD looks like a fun toy to play with. 50% chance to cast
> Poison
> > > Nova when you kill an enemy. If I use that in Normal A3 or Cow,
> will
> > > that trigger fireworks / chain reaction, since the Nova itself is
> > > probably enough to kill the surrounding party right?
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > > Well, if the nova is on the wielder then it won't be as pretty :(
> I am
> > hoping it would
> > > be on 50% of the corpses created.
> >
> > It acts as if the wielder cast Poison Nova.
>
> Aaahhh, oh well. Still the prettiest weapon I think.
>
> > eBotD zerker and Beast zerker is FAR more popular, but either work.
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> > > Same question as above I guess, what aspects should I be paying
> > > attention to in terms of the rest of the gears.
> >
> > Basically the standard gear for a zealot, frenzy barb, werewolf
> druid, or
> > whirly barb.
>
> Since I already have a Zealot and WW barbie, I guess I will stick with
> Frenzy one this time. This probably means another CoA, Duress,
> Highlord, Raven Frost, dual leech ring, Verdungo, Goreriders, and
> Draculs right (in addition to the two aforementioned axes)?

That is a good choice, because unless they changed something, those Chance
to Cast mods don't work with WW :(

short
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:27:54 PM

Alice wrote:

> Agh, forget about Arreat Face. This should work as well as CoA, I
> think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this hat
> (one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)

There's a problem with upgrading Gaze? I'm curious, do tell....... (Not that
I plan to, I just like to know these things). :-)

> Another question that comes to my mind now. What merc best
> accompanies a Frenzy barbie? Defiance with Doom, Might with Doom,
> Holy Freeze with Pride, Might with Pride, or others?

I've used Might and HF, hard to know which is best. Probably might if you
have a good connection because you will be going so fast with frenzy you
don't need the critters slowed down. I'm not rich enough to advise you on
the weapons you list first-hand. All I can say from experience is, if you
are using Drac's, don't give your merc a stick that has CTC anything or it
will overcast life tap.

Luck.... (not that you'll need it)
--
~misfit~

March 1, 2005 2:27:55 PM

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message

> There's a problem with upgrading Gaze? I'm curious, do tell....... (Not
that
> I plan to, I just like to know these things). :-)

Upping it has almost a 50% chance of LOSING defense, rather than gaining it.
The ED on a non-upped Gaze always applies to a grim helm with 126 def(which
is max+1). But the base def becomes variable when you up it. Bone Visage has
a def range of 100-157. If you roll a 100-125, the helm LOSES defense. Roll
a 126, and your def stays the same. Only if you roll a 127 or higher does
the def increase at all.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:27:55 PM

I think it was "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> that wrote
something like...

>Alice wrote:
>>
>> Agh, forget about Arreat Face. This should work as well as CoA, I
>> think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this hat
>> (one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)
>
>There's a problem with upgrading Gaze? I'm curious, do tell....... (Not that
>I plan to, I just like to know these things). :-)

When unique armor drops, it has the highest possible base armor rating
for that type of armor. When you upgrade it, the new base armor
rating can be anywhere in the range possible for the new base armor
type. If the base armor rating range between the exceptional and
elite versions overlap, you can upgrade an armor and actually have the
defense rating drop.

In regards to the Vampire Gaze, its base type of grimhelm has an range
of 60-125. Being a unique, the Gaze will have the base rating of 125.
If you upgrade it to a bone visage, it will then have a base rating of
anywhere between 100 and 157. So if it comes up as 100, you've lost
25 armor class on the base item, and all the extra defense that would
have provided given the ed% on the item.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:27:56 PM

"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> In regards to the Vampire Gaze, its base type of grimhelm has an range
> of 60-125. Being a unique, the Gaze will have the base rating of 125.

Nitpick-uniques and sets with ED are actually set to drop with max base
def+1.

> Ashen Shugar
> --
> The lions sing and the hills take flight.
> The moon by day, and the sun by night.
> Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
> Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:27:57 PM

I think it was "Shiflet" <rshiflet@charter.net> that wrote something
like...

>"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> In regards to the Vampire Gaze, its base type of grimhelm has an range
>> of 60-125. Being a unique, the Gaze will have the base rating of 125.
>
>Nitpick-uniques and sets with ED are actually set to drop with max base
>def+1.

Cool. That wasn't mentioned on the site I read about it. At least I
don't think it was.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:27:58 PM

> Cool. That wasn't mentioned on the site I read about it. At least I
> don't think it was.

I didn't know it either, except once when I was coming up with unique ideas
for some mod, I was checking existing armors and found out the def didn't
match up with the given ED even if the item had max def in the range. Tested
some more, found it was always a match if I tested with base max def+1, then
had it confirmed on the B.net forums.

There's also some odd +1 in the formula for weapons damage too but I don't
recall what it is. Not sure if it's max and min+1, max+1, or what exactly.

> Ashen Shugar
> --
> The lions sing and the hills take flight.
> The moon by day, and the sun by night.
> Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
> Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:53:34 PM

Ashen Shugar wrote:
> I think it was "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> that wrote
> something like...
>
>> Alice wrote:
>>>
>>> Agh, forget about Arreat Face. This should work as well as CoA, I
>>> think. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade problem with this hat
>>> (one like Vampire Gaze - grim helm to bone visage?)
>>
>> There's a problem with upgrading Gaze? I'm curious, do tell.......
>> (Not that I plan to, I just like to know these things). :-)
>
> When unique armor drops, it has the highest possible base armor rating
> for that type of armor. When you upgrade it, the new base armor
> rating can be anywhere in the range possible for the new base armor
> type. If the base armor rating range between the exceptional and
> elite versions overlap, you can upgrade an armor and actually have the
> defense rating drop.
>
> In regards to the Vampire Gaze, its base type of grimhelm has an range
> of 60-125. Being a unique, the Gaze will have the base rating of 125.
> If you upgrade it to a bone visage, it will then have a base rating of
> anywhere between 100 and 157. So if it comes up as 100, you've lost
> 25 armor class on the base item, and all the extra defense that would
> have provided given the ed% on the item.

Thanks.
--
~misfit~

March 1, 2005 5:53:47 PM

Shiflet wrote:
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>> There's a problem with upgrading Gaze? I'm curious, do tell.......
>> (Not that I plan to, I just like to know these things). :-)
>
> Upping it has almost a 50% chance of LOSING defense, rather than
> gaining it. The ED on a non-upped Gaze always applies to a grim helm
> with 126 def(which is max+1). But the base def becomes variable when
> you up it. Bone Visage has a def range of 100-157. If you roll a
> 100-125, the helm LOSES defense. Roll a 126, and your def stays the
> same. Only if you roll a 127 or higher does the def increase at all.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

March 4, 2005 5:27:33 PM

> So, this merc should probably wear Fortitude and Rockstopper / Harley /
> Vamp Gaze, since they provide DR, right?

Gaze for helm, Shaftstop or Duress would be my armor choice.
!