Belkin F5D7230-4 as an Access Point/Bridge....

Ron

After many conflicting reports, I can confirm that the Belkin
F5D7230-4 can be used as wireless Access Point/Bridge. Technically,
I'm not certain which one it is classified as, but here is the set
up.....

| Bedroom | Living Room |
| | |
| | F5D7230-4 |
| F5D7230-4 | (Number2) |
| (Number1) | / | \ |
| | / | \ |
| | Xbox ReplayTV HTPC |
| | |

Belkin 1 is wired/connceted to the Internet.
Belkin 2 has Xbox, ReplayTV, HTPC all wired to it.
Belkin 2 is set to AP and is not wired to Belkin 1.
Belkin 1 will assign an IP address to the wired devices on Belkin 2.
I have internet connection on all devices (computer in bedroom, Xbox,
ReplayTv HTPC.

Maybe this isnt news to everyone, but I heard at least 3 conflicting
reports from people who should have known (Belkin Sales rep at a
CompUSA said it wouldn't work, Sales Guy at a different CompUSA
location swore it would work, Belkin phone tech said that it would
not)

IT DOES WORK. I am running it now.

Ron Mase

Hmmmm. Can a laptop with a wireless PCMCIA card connect to either F5D7230-4?
My wife roosts with her laptop at the far end of the house and has been
complaining that the signal isn't the best there. If so, adding another
5D7230-4 in this configuration might earn me some brownie points and she can
be equally connected at either end of the house. Hey, for a lousy $30, it's
worth it. ...Cheers, Wizzzer

--
"ron" <ron_mase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After many conflicting reports, I can confirm that the Belkin
> F5D7230-4 can be used as wireless Access Point/Bridge. Technically,
> I'm not certain which one it is classified as, but here is the set
> up.....

> | Bedroom | Living Room |
> | | |
> | | F5D7230-4 |
> | F5D7230-4 | (Number2) |
> | (Number1) | / | \ |
> | | / | \ |
> | | Xbox ReplayTV HTPC |
> | | |

> Belkin 1 is wired/connceted to the Internet.
> Belkin 2 has Xbox, ReplayTV, HTPC all wired to it.
> Belkin 2 is set to AP and is not wired to Belkin 1.
> Belkin 1 will assign an IP address to the wired devices on Belkin 2.
> I have internet connection on all devices (computer in bedroom, Xbox,
> ReplayTv HTPC.
>
> Maybe this isnt news to everyone, but I heard at least 3 conflicting
> reports from people who should have known (Belkin Sales rep at a
> CompUSA said it wouldn't work, Sales Guy at a different CompUSA
> location swore it would work, Belkin phone tech said that it would
> not)
>
> IT DOES WORK. I am running it now.
>
> Ron Mase

Ron

Yes, it will work. I put both units on the same channel, but gave
them different SSID. I can connected wirelessly to either one.

Ron

"Wiz-z-z" <notme@noway.com> wrote in message news:<10hqu5q24csoo48@corp.supernews.com>...
> Hmmmm. Can a laptop with a wireless PCMCIA card connect to either F5D7230-4?
> My wife roosts with her laptop at the far end of the house and has been
> complaining that the signal isn't the best there. If so, adding another
> 5D7230-4 in this configuration might earn me some brownie points and she can
> be equally connected at either end of the house. Hey, for a lousy $30, it's
> worth it. ...Cheers, Wizzzer
>
> --
> "ron" <ron_mase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > After many conflicting reports, I can confirm that the Belkin
> > F5D7230-4 can be used as wireless Access Point/Bridge. Technically,
> > I'm not certain which one it is classified as, but here is the set
> > up.....

> > | Bedroom | Living Room |
> > | | |
> > | | F5D7230-4 |
> > | F5D7230-4 | (Number2) |
> > | (Number1) | / | \ |
> > | | / | \ |
> > | | Xbox ReplayTV HTPC |
> > | | |

> > Belkin 1 is wired/connceted to the Internet.
> > Belkin 2 has Xbox, ReplayTV, HTPC all wired to it.
> > Belkin 2 is set to AP and is not wired to Belkin 1.
> > Belkin 1 will assign an IP address to the wired devices on Belkin 2.
> > I have internet connection on all devices (computer in bedroom, Xbox,
> > ReplayTv HTPC.
> >
> > Maybe this isnt news to everyone, but I heard at least 3 conflicting
> > reports from people who should have known (Belkin Sales rep at a
> > CompUSA said it wouldn't work, Sales Guy at a different CompUSA
> > location swore it would work, Belkin phone tech said that it would
> > not)
> >
> > IT DOES WORK. I am running it now.
> >
> > Ron Mase

Who ever said that the Belkin F5D7230-4 cannot be used as an access
point / bridge? It is designed to be used as a router / Access Point
/Bridge. Yes, it does work. Currently, my Belkin is used as an
access point. It is connected to my Netgear WGR614v1 router (wireless
disabled).

Doug Jamal <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<kkdth0hhjbprlean6ur52pmt3nrum3pvlp@4ax.com>...
> Who ever said that the Belkin F5D7230-4 cannot be used as an access
> point / bridge? It is designed to be used as a router / Access Point
> /Bridge. Yes, it does work.

I'm trying to do a similar thing with 2 Belkin F5D7130 Access Points.
I read on tomsnetworking that this should be possible but so far no
joy. Here's my setup.

DSL Modem

LinkSys Wired Router

(1)Belkin F5D7130 <--wireless range extension-->(2)Belkin F5D7130
/\ /\
/ \ / \
laptops in 1 area of house laptops in far end of house

I put the WLAN mac addresses of the 'other' AP in the bridging panel.
Should I be using 2 ssids instead of the default belkin54g for both (I
plan to change this anyway once I get it working)? How does it see it
as one network then?

I also have one of these routers but don't want to use it as such. I
really only want to use it as an access point. Based on the thread
should this work if I replaced (1) with the router?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

webnuts4u2 wrote:

> Doug Jamal <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Who ever said that the Belkin F5D7230-4 cannot be used as an access
>> point / bridge? It is designed to be used as a router / Access Point
>> /Bridge. Yes, it does work.
>
> I'm trying to do a similar thing with 2 Belkin F5D7130 Access Points.
> I read on tomsnetworking that this should be possible but so far no
> joy. Here's my setup.

[snip]

We'll I dinked around with it long enough that I finally got the range
extension to work. Now my question, what do I do with the extra Belkin
wireless router? Dare I replace my LinkSys wired router with this? Any
opinions on the Belkin? Thanks.