Games using multi-cores or 64-bit

DanInPhilly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
A little while ago one of the tech websites did a comparison of a standard quad-core (Q6600 I think) vs a fast duo. The duo was better on most measures, except for one of the benchmarks that utilized separate cores efficiently; then the quad was way faster.
And I bet a 64-bit software would be faster than its equivalent 32-bit software on today's hardware.

So: when will video companies start making PC games that are 64-bit and/or can take advantage of separate cores?

PS: I'm talking to YOU Chrysis! You're no doubt proud that your game can't be run efficiently until 2009 or thereabouts. Sure, real cute, make our PCs look weak and slow. But I blame YOU: why don't you redesign your program to utilize the hardware that we have now, huh???

G

Crysis does have the ability to run in 64-bit mode as well as use multiple cores.

Unreal Engine 3 is multi-core enabled, but still 32-bit I think.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Crysis in 64 runs no better than 32, hardly uses the extra cores and wont use but a 2gig of my 8gig of ram.

In x86 64bit is mostly about addressing more ram so if you don't use it there no real performance difference.

DanInPhilly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I guess I just want game companies to accomodate my PC, not the other way around.
I'm also just a little depressed -- I checked in at systemrequirements.com and my shiny new PC didn't meet the recommended for Chrysis.