All EIDE devices error in POST: "Device not found"

I know this is not a hardware NG, but maybe someone could point me in
the right direction to find the cause and fix.

Four year old PIII running WinXP Home. Two Hard drives, CD-DVD and CD
RW. System crash and on cold boot, error: Disk failure can't read hard
drive. Replaced HD and ribbon cable, still can't boot. In POST all 4
drives say "No device found."

All advice appreciated, and my apologies for off topic post.

Bob
2 answers Last reply
More about eide devices error post device found

    You should reset the CMOS,some boards have a pin configuration to
    do this,if yours doesnt or does,you can simply remove the battery for
    15-20 seconds,replace,start-up,enter BIOS and reset.Go to exit page in
    BIOS,set to "load set-up defaults" or "load optimal default settings",then
    go thru and readjust as needed for add-ons.

    "Bob Gibson" wrote:

    > I know this is not a hardware NG, but maybe someone could point me in
    > the right direction to find the cause and fix.
    >
    > Four year old PIII running WinXP Home. Two Hard drives, CD-DVD and CD
    > RW. System crash and on cold boot, error: Disk failure can't read hard
    > drive. Replaced HD and ribbon cable, still can't boot. In POST all 4
    > drives say "No device found."
    >
    > All advice appreciated, and my apologies for off topic post.
    >
    > Bob

    Andrew,

    Thanks for your suggested fix, I'll keep it for future use.

    I found the problem, and to my everlasting shame it was purely my fault.
    Over the years I've installed many HD's with never a problem. This time
    tho', I reversed the ribbon cable plugs on both drives. Old age, poor
    eyesight (one left), disease (had chemo today), and, of course, failure
    to engage brain have taken their toll. Have a good day. <G>

    Bob

    | You should reset the CMOS,some boards have a pin configuration to
    | do this,if yours doesnt or does,you can simply remove the battery for
    | 15-20 seconds,replace,start-up,enter BIOS and reset.Go to exit page
    in
    | BIOS,set to "load set-up defaults" or "load optimal default
    settings",then
    | go thru and readjust as needed for add-ons.
    |
    | "Bob Gibson" wrote:
    |
    | > I know this is not a hardware NG, but maybe someone could point me
    in
    | > the right direction to find the cause and fix.
    | >
    | > Four year old PIII running WinXP Home. Two Hard drives, CD-DVD and
    CD
    | > RW. System crash and on cold boot, error: Disk failure can't read
    hard
    | > drive. Replaced HD and ribbon cable, still can't boot. In POST all
    4
    | > drives say "No device found."
    | >
    | > All advice appreciated, and my apologies for off topic post.
    | >
    | > Bob

Devices Windows XP