Gaming PC

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Gaming
  • Dell
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 8, 2008 6:52:46 PM

Hey everyone, new here and my current pc is 7 year old.. ive posted in this section because ive just saved up £1200 and need help in choosing a GAMING pc, companies like dell etc from what i see dont offer anything half as good as the little companies.. my question is are the little companies trustable.. has anyone purchased a pc from a cheaper company and been satisfied, or is it a disaster?

Thanks, Hog

More about : gaming

February 8, 2008 11:51:43 PM

Kkkk1 said:
How about the Energiser pro on the following link:- It's only £939.00 and i reckon it'll run just about anything. Q6600 Quad core + dual 8800GT's!!!!

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcranges.html?pf=600

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Are you a novatech sales rep or something?

Build your own computer Hograz, don't buy a prebuilt; they are a ripoffs. If you are going to use SLI, build your own system to SLI 8800GTS (g92) cards. Im sure many people here will be able to give you good build suggestions with your price range.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 9, 2008 8:39:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, i do fancy building my own pc just thats alot of money too loose if i mess it up lol
February 9, 2008 3:10:51 PM

Why would you Sli 8800GTS's? Nothing wrong with those cards but everyone knows at the minute that the 8800GT is the best bang for buck on the market let alone more powerful than the GTS's.
February 9, 2008 9:03:52 PM

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2GB Corsair Dominator, PC2-8500 CAS 5
Gigabyte GA P35-DS4, iP35
Scythe Ninja Plus Rev B + 120mm Coolermaster Fan
1GB Power ColorHD 3870 X2
Antec 900 - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
850W Akasa 12v gaming PSU
500 GB Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint
LG DVD±DL, DVD+RW DVD-RAM SATA

peripherals and OS are a matter of taste but heres some suggestions

Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker System
22" Asus VW222S Black Widescreen LCD
Logitech 967653-0120 Ultra Flat Wired Keyboard
Razer Deathadder Gaming 3rd Generation Infrared Sensor Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP / Vista Home Premium 64Bit

Put this PC togther on scan.co.uk for £1206. it will soundly beat the energiser pro.dont worry bout messing up a self build its easy really.hope this helps some

February 9, 2008 9:16:59 PM

Build your own system. Just go to www.newegg.com and find the parts you want. Be picky when it comes to motherboard, memory, and power supply. Rely on the egg ratings. Never buy a component with lower than 4 egg rating, always read the negative reviews to see if there is something wrong that would bother you, and have fun. Seriously, building your own computer is one of the most rewarding things you can do.
February 10, 2008 5:53:42 AM

Kkkk1 said:
Why would you Sli 8800GTS's? Nothing wrong with those cards but everyone knows at the minute that the 8800GT is the best bang for buck on the market let alone more powerful than the GTS's.

Have you been living under a rock? The 8800GTS g92, 512mb version will top an 8800 GTX. It uses the same new architecture as the 8800gt's. Its cheaper, and 90% of the time, fast than an 8800GTX. Why wouldn't you sli it?
February 10, 2008 8:56:09 AM

Thanks guys, looks like ill be building one then
February 10, 2008 1:28:21 PM

Hmm, I wouldn't go with them.

No SLI option, no built in gigabit ethernet, pretty slow memory, probably an old chipset and low end crappy motherboard.

As far as hard drive space... what do you use it for? If this is just a gaming machine, then 500 gigs is plenty. I just recommend partitioning off a section for data storage in case you need to format and reinstall.

If you download a lot of movies or music, then you may consider getting the extra storage. Also you might consider getting multiple smaller drives, like 320s and raiding them for extra performance.
February 10, 2008 1:55:59 PM

My problem is im not to cumfortable with building one - id rather by a pre-build and upgrade it... do u know any better websites for "pre-builts"?
February 10, 2008 2:04:01 PM

kkk1 suggested Novatech. They list the motherboard that comes with the system, which you can then look up reviews for, which helps.

Though building your own will save you some money, help you learn more than you would otherwise, and result in a PC that you can feel is truly your own creation.

Also we can help you out.
February 10, 2008 2:09:09 PM

Awesome mate.. well as regards building.. on a 1.2k budget you wanna help me find some parts? ill gather them in and use you guys too help me put 2 and 2 together :D 
February 10, 2008 3:44:43 PM

You should definitly build your PC yourself, really helps you understand and fix problems. the pc I already suggested is pretty **** good if your looking parts. definitly choose the E8400 core2duo, is the best priced/performance CPU on the market and will last years with a touch of overclocking. you used a £ instead of a $,are you living in the UK?

February 10, 2008 3:50:09 PM

Yeh mate, im living in the UK and ok ill go with those parts i guess
February 10, 2008 4:11:35 PM

As far as case is concerned, shop around. Find one that looks the way you want it to look.
February 10, 2008 4:31:26 PM

Shop around where tho if i buy parts how do i know its a trustable website? and if i buy prebuilts well its the same for the smaller companies
February 10, 2008 4:39:11 PM

You can get the case at computer specialty stores. I don't know what you have up there, but around my way we have Fry's Electronics and Micro Center. Also I use Newegg.com but I don't know if they ship to England. Wish I could help you more on that but I don't get stuff shipped over there so I don't know who does.
February 10, 2008 5:46:27 PM

Infornography, got msn? got some things to ask u
February 11, 2008 6:58:43 AM

Hograz said:
Hey everyone, new here and my current pc is 7 year old.. ive posted in this section because ive just saved up £1200 and need help in choosing a GAMING pc, companies like dell etc from what i see dont offer anything half as good as the little companies.. my question is are the little companies trustable.. has anyone purchased a pc from a cheaper company and been satisfied, or is it a disaster?

Thanks, Hog

I suggest you also visit the hardware section of these forums. There's some knowledgeable people there that do not come over here to discuss games.
February 11, 2008 1:30:28 PM

am from the UK too so i know a few sites i trust and use reguraly. scans usualy cheapest though.

Dabs.com
Overclockers.co.uk
scan.co.uk
February 12, 2008 12:15:51 PM

I would say get Antec P182 case - the 900 is loud and massive.

Also I think the Intel Q6600 Quad-Core is the "best bang for the buck" CPU to get (£153 @ www.scan.co.uk)
February 13, 2008 10:41:08 AM

Can recommend Dabs and Overclockers from recent experience. I've also used Novatech in the past - I stopped using them when their range reduced and Dabs undercut them on price, but they used to do good "bundle" kits - that might be a good compromise for someone looking to build on the cheap, but not having the confidence to choose their own components.

I'd suggest to the OP to ask if any of his friends have experience and could help him build his own. If you're careful and don't rush, it's quite hard to break components, but I can understand his concern. Watching someone else do it is a good way to learn (I learnt from watching/helping a friend do upgrades before I built my own systems).
February 13, 2008 1:15:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about if the board can support SLI or not. Just make sure your board can support PCI Express 2.0. SLI is a waste of money. You're better buying a new card 6 months down the road, which will be faster and more energy efficient than 2 cards in SLI, and cost you about the same. You'll get better performance and save some cash and electricity bills.
February 13, 2008 3:35:02 PM

Im currently gathering all this information and picking the best bits out, thanks for the help :D 
!