Does XP Home have LESS networking security features than W..

David

In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
security features?

David.

Byte

No, it has a better system of User Accounts where you can control access by
All Users, Default User or Owner (Administrator) and give limited or full
access.
Start/Control Panel/User Accounts.

"David" wrote:

> In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
> option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
> security features?
>
> David.

If you R.click on a drive,properties,Quota Tab,you can set several
diffrent modes for sharing the drive,devive mgr. has silmiliar functions
in the properties tab also.

David wrote:
> In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
> option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
> security features?

Wow - Windows 98 and Security in the same sentence. It's like putting
"loaded gun" and "playful children" in the same sentence, without any
negative words to make it correct!

Might I suggest reading these articles:

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

--
<- Shenan ->

David wrote:
> In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
> option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
> security features?
>
> David.

Actually, it's Win98 that has virtually no real security
capabilities.

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a work-around, you can place the file in a compressed folder,
and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its
contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: