Does XP Home have LESS networking security features than W..

In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
security features?

David.
4 answers Last reply
More about does home networking security features

    No, it has a better system of User Accounts where you can control access by
    All Users, Default User or Owner (Administrator) and give limited or full
    access.
    Start/Control Panel/User Accounts.

    "David" wrote:

    > In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
    > option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
    > security features?
    >
    > David.

    If you R.click on a drive,properties,Quota Tab,you can set several
    diffrent modes for sharing the drive,devive mgr. has silmiliar functions
    in the properties tab also.

    David wrote:
    > In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
    > option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
    > security features?

    Wow - Windows 98 and Security in the same sentence. It's like putting
    "loaded gun" and "playful children" in the same sentence, without any
    negative words to make it correct!

    Might I suggest reading these articles:

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040

    How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    David wrote:
    > In Win 98 I can place passwords on shared drives. I can't find that
    > option in XP home. Am I missing something or is Home lacking in
    > security features?
    >
    > David.

    Actually, it's Win98 that has virtually no real security
    capabilities.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a work-around, you can place the file in a compressed folder,
    and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its
    contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: