Sins of a Solar Empire

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
In case you missed it, not that it would be hard to do so, Sins of a Solar Empire has been released. This is a stardock game which means no DRM of any kind is present. Without a crack you can install this game on your PC and never see the CD again. Plus it weighs in at a reasonable $40 brand new.

If you are not familiar with it, this is a real time space empire builder. You quickly zoom in and out of the battlefield ala Sup Com, but instead of a base you have planets and satellites. It is pretty well done. I'm not going to say this game is going to win any game of the year awards, but it is well worth the $40 price tag especially since you can be sure you won't have to wrestle with DRM to get the game to run.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. The game is addictive where "one more turn" becomes "let me just finish this up".

If you love strategy, pick it up.

sarafan

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
nice, i'd intended on picking this one up. been a good long while since i've wasted hours gawking at my unfolding technology tree. based on other reviews that "empire tree" sounds like something worth seeing, too

imnotageek

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Hey, I've been reading reviews on this game too.

Just wondering, how tough is this strategy game? To be honest, RTS games these days are a bit too tough for me to play. The most I can do is Warcraft >.<

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
These are some of the same guys that made Homeworld Cataclysm as well. It looks pretty similar, will get it soon sometime in march.

sarafan

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
because i've seen lots of folks who didnt know this, i'll add that sins doesnt have a single player campaign mode. the devs have mentioned releasing a campaign mode in the future, but for now its playing through individual maps. the Homeworld comparison, with its great story driven campaign, might have confused people

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

yes, that is something I keep forgetting myself, the homeworld story (I liked cataclysm's more I think) were spectacular, it's pretty much what kept me playing, I never tried playing online back then (56k that was more like a 28k) so it was just SP and skirmishes against AIs.

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
How heavy is the RTS factor? Played Homeworld and LOVED it but got bogged down by Galactic Civ II. 4X just doesn't have enough action.

pitchblack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Sierra should do a remake of the origonal homeworld but with new graphics... Smae shipis & factions and such just new graphics for both HW1 and HW Cataclysm

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I've played a bit of this, but have been overloaded with conventions, and convention prep.

It's definitely tilted more towards RTS than towards 4x.

It really needs a campaign mode to help with the learning curve.

I do expect to go back to this game when I have more time.

Lots of modding potential here. I want to see star wars/ star trek/B5 mods out for this one.

TRENDING THREADS