Mouse - Cordless Wireless Corded

I'm confused, to say the least. I have a corded mouse. What is the
difference between a Cordless mouse and a Wireless mouse? What is this
optical mouse business. Not into games but would like to eliminate the
corded mouse. Can someone explain above and suggest a model number for a
cordless(?) wireless(?) mouse?
TIA
Dannie
7 answers Last reply
More about mouse cordless wireless corded

    Dannie wrote:
    > I'm confused, to say the least. I have a corded mouse. What is the
    > difference between a Cordless mouse and a Wireless mouse? What is this
    > optical mouse business. Not into games but would like to eliminate the
    > corded mouse. Can someone explain above and suggest a model number
    > for a cordless(?) wireless(?) mouse?

    Difference between a mouse with a cord and a cordless mouse?
    One has a cord, one communicates via infrared or radio frequency with a base
    unit. To your computer, there is no difference unless the mouse has special
    functions (even if it did, there would be no difference in the driver
    between the corded and cordless version of the mouse.)

    Optical mouse means it has no mouseball. It detect movements with light
    instead of a ball rolling around on a table/mousepad. Much better response
    time and less cleaning.

    Recommended wireless optical mouse?

    Logitech.. Any of them.
    MX1000 is the "big guy" right now.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    A corded mouse might eirther have a ball or a red infirred light ( that
    is opical) and a wireless mouse has a recever but the mouse will take
    battrires if you are thing about geting a wireless mouse get a microsoft
    one the new ones are really nice i have one that is called grovey it has
    orange and red clolors on it

    "Dannie" wrote:

    > I'm confused, to say the least. I have a corded mouse. What is the
    > difference between a Cordless mouse and a Wireless mouse? What is this
    > optical mouse business. Not into games but would like to eliminate the
    > corded mouse. Can someone explain above and suggest a model number for a
    > cordless(?) wireless(?) mouse?
    > TIA
    > Dannie

    If you do go for a cordless mouse, I would suggest
    getting a cordless keyboard and mouse together. Each of
    them individually will go for anywhere from 30-50$, while
    a set is around 70$.
    If you can, get a cordless mouse that is rechargeable
    instead of one that runs on batteries. We have a battery
    operated one and it eats batteries like crazy!

    ultimately
    >responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
    what you are

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com"
    wrote in news:425d01c4a10a$75932920$a501280a@phx.gbl:
    > If you do go for a cordless mouse, I would suggest
    > getting a cordless keyboard and mouse together. Each of
    > them individually will go for anywhere from 30-50$, while
    > a set is around 70$.
    > If you can, get a cordless mouse that is rechargeable
    > instead of one that runs on batteries. We have a battery
    > operated one and it eats batteries like crazy!

    And why you should buy rechargeable batteries and a charger. Get 2 sets
    of rechargeable batteries: when the set in the mouse gets low or dead
    then swap them for the already charged ones, and then charge the
    depleted set. The smaller the batteries the less charge they contain
    and the faster they will deplete.

    Regardless of the claims by cordless mouse makers that batteries should
    last for more than month and maybe up to 40 days, it ain't true. They
    must measure that based on only a couple hours use per day. I use my
    mouse all day and all evening (okay, it's not constant but my computer
    use spans most of the day along with the mouse use). Alkaline batteries
    last me about 17 to 22 days while rechargeable NiMH batteries last 14 to
    17 days.

    Unless you need a cordless keyboard, don't bother. You might realize
    the cordless mouse's batteries are going dead because the cursor moves
    erratically or not at all, but often users start losing keystrokes or
    pound harder on the keys when the cordless keyboard's batteries get low
    or die. Not all cordless products provide a popup warning to replace
    the batteries, and they be unseen if under an always-on-top window.

    A cordless mouse will weigh more than a corded mouse. That's because of
    the weight from the batteries. If you use your computer for hours upon
    hours with lots of mouse use, your pinky will get fatigued having to
    squeeze the mouse when repeatedly having to lift and move it over (and
    why sometimes trackballs are preferred). But with a cordless mouse you
    don't have the resistance of the moving its cord around with the mouse
    or having it slap into stuff and create torque from resistance to
    bending.

    > Regardless of the claims by cordless mouse makers that batteries should
    > last for more than month and maybe up to 40 days, it ain't true. They
    > must measure that based on only a couple hours use per day. I use my
    > mouse all day and all evening (okay, it's not constant but my computer use
    > spans most of the day along with the mouse use). Alkaline batteries last
    > me about 17 to 22 days while rechargeable NiMH batteries last 14 to 17
    > days.

    I don't know what mouse you are using but my Microsoft cordless, optical,
    wheel mouse gets about 6 months of use per set of AA's and I am on the
    computer a lot. My old Microsoft cordless wheel mouse got 3 months use with
    every set of AA's that I installed. If you only get 40 days, there is
    something wrong with your mouse.

    "Ron" <spam@kwic.com>
    wrote in news:eCYbo6joEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > I don't know what mouse you are using but my Microsoft cordless,
    > optical, wheel mouse gets about 6 months of use per set of AA's and
    > I am on the computer a lot. My old Microsoft cordless wheel mouse got
    > 3 months use with every set of AA's that I installed. If you only get
    > 40 days, there is something wrong with your mouse.

    Depends on your use. If you game a lot then the mouse is in constant
    motion and never gets to sleep (or it shouldn't be allowed to sleep;
    otherwise, you'll be stuck in the game until it get awakened). Depends
    on the surface upon which it is used; darker surfaces absorb more light.
    Two users on the same computer (at different times, of course) can say
    they use their mouse a lot but that depends on the applications and
    preferences of the user. Being "on the computer" a lot doesn't equate
    to using the mouse a lot. I've used 6 Logitech (3 models), 4 Microsoft,
    1 IBM, and 1 GE (and more at work). None come anywhere close to their
    claims of battery life. All are heavier due to the batteries.

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "Ron" <spam@kwic.com>
    > wrote in news:eCYbo6joEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >> I don't know what mouse you are using but my Microsoft cordless,
    >> optical, wheel mouse gets about 6 months of use per set of AA's and
    >> I am on the computer a lot. My old Microsoft cordless wheel mouse got
    >> 3 months use with every set of AA's that I installed. If you only get
    >> 40 days, there is something wrong with your mouse.
    >
    > Depends on your use. If you game a lot then the mouse is in constant
    > motion and never gets to sleep (or it shouldn't be allowed to sleep;
    > otherwise, you'll be stuck in the game until it get awakened). Depends on
    > the surface upon which it is used; darker surfaces absorb more light. Two
    > users on the same computer (at different times, of course) can say they
    > use their mouse a lot but that depends on the applications and preferences
    > of the user. Being "on the computer" a lot doesn't equate to using the
    > mouse a lot. I've used 6 Logitech (3 models), 4 Microsoft, 1 IBM, and 1
    > GE (and more at work). None come anywhere close to their claims of
    > battery life. All are heavier due to the batteries.

    My activities use the mouse a lot. It isn't just sitting there and I stand
    by what I wrote.

Wireless Mice Wireless Mouse Windows XP