Anybody ever setup an "ad hoc" wireless network?

I've been reading some info onn the net about "ad hoc" wireless
networks, but haven't seen any info on using the usual wireless
adapters in such a setup. Has anybody have info on using the USB
wireless adapters in such a setup? Can the usual USB or card slot
adapters be used in such a setup? Thanks for any info!
4 answers Last reply
More about anybody setup wireless network

    AD-HOC Wireless Setup. I have used this when traveling between our two
    laptops and it works like a champ.

    Rich
    http://AnotherWin95.com

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:31:36 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
    Ballenger) wrote:

    >I've been reading some info onn the net about "ad hoc" wireless
    >networks, but haven't seen any info on using the usual wireless
    >adapters in such a setup.

    It's strictly for connecting multiple client radios to each other.
    However, it can be used to connect to the internet or build a mesh
    network. See:
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1451421
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_1451421_2
    for a good explanation. They managed to leave out that the 802.11g
    higher speed modes are not officially supported in an ad-hoc network.

    >Has anybody have info on using the USB
    >wireless adapters in such a setup? Can the usual USB or card slot
    >adapters be used in such a setup? Thanks for any info!

    Sure. Somewhere in the wireless client setup is a choice between
    "infrastructure mode" and "ad-hoc" mode. You might need to assign
    your own static IP addresses, although the 169.254.xxx.xxx that
    Windoze assigns by default will work just fine. What you will NOT be
    able to (easily) do is connect to an access point and surf the
    internet. The various manufactories usually have a document on their
    support pile that explains how to deal with ad-hoc mode.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:31:36 GMT, Si Ballenger wrote:

    > I've been reading some info onn the net about "ad hoc" wireless
    > networks, but haven't seen any info on using the usual wireless
    > adapters in such a setup. Has anybody have info on using the USB
    > wireless adapters in such a setup? Can the usual USB or card slot
    > adapters be used in such a setup? Thanks for any info!

    I used four Belkin 802.11b usb wireless adapters in ad-hoc mode for over a
    year. All pc's were using xp with the main pc connected to the Internet via
    adsl and providing Internet connectivity for the rest of the network using
    ICS. It all worked without fault - games, file & printer sharing etc.

    Regards,
    --
    Paul Walton
    West Midlands, UK

    Thanks for the link. It has some good info.

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:54:47 -0400, "Richard Hay"
    <anotherwin95@nospamminganotherwin95.com> wrote:

    >AD-HOC Wireless Setup. I have used this when traveling between our two
    >laptops and it works like a champ.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    >
    >Rich
    >http://AnotherWin95.com
    >
    >"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >> I've been reading some info onn the net about "ad hoc" wireless
    >> networks, but haven't seen any info on using the usual wireless
    >> adapters in such a setup. Has anybody have info on using the USB
    >> wireless adapters in such a setup? Can the usual USB or card slot
    >> adapters be used in such a setup? Thanks for any info!

Wireless Wireless Network Internet Wireless Networking