Mass Effect for PC!!

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Looks like this was a Marketing thing again...pretending to be a xbox 360 exclusive. It probably worked as well. Honestly, this was one of the few games that I had remorse not having a console to try it out. Not that I would have gotten one but...ah well, looks like May's going to be a busy month for me.

Rayzor, you've made my day! lol

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Ha, I was just reading that on dailytech. That's pretty cool, but I was a little upset when I saw that EA was doing the actual port... and if you've ever played a NFS that got ported... well, you know it sucks balls. I'm actually pretty sure that NFS: Carbon still has a crash bug that has existed even after 3+ patches.

Anyways...

Check this out Stenmnin (or anyone else currently upset with EA): http://www.dailytech.com/EA+Regrets+Stifling+Developers+Promises+Reform/article10636.htm

I still hate EA, mainly because of the whole Westwood thing... but I'll give them another chance to turn it around. (After HG:L, I vowed never to purchase another game that had anything to do with EA.)

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
After HG:L, I vowed never to purchase another game that had anything to do with EA.

I'll second that!

EA is undisputed when it comes to Sports Title and I'll give them that.

However, EA brought its latest big titles to the market while unfinished (with bugs and performance issues). Here's a few to prove my point:
-Hellgate London (very buggy)
-Crysis (performance issues and perhaps a few bugs)
-Medal of Honor - Airborne (Very Short and the worst multiplayer experience in any similar game)

...and the list goes on and on.

Furthermore, something that very few probably know, EA did something that ticked me off...where they purchased about 20% of Ubisoft shares. The last thing I wanted was to have EA own 20% of Ubisoft, even if its not enough weight to impact big decision making.

Anyways, sorry for going off topic. Mass Effect looks promissing either way.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Yeah, I was concerned about EA publishing it too. Hopefully it will not be a cheap money making port and some serious consideration will be given to beefing up the graphics and making the controls feel right on the pc. If not, we should still get a game that is immersive and has a good story, so long as the controls aren't THAT bad. ;)

REALLY hope they fix some of the supposedly horrendous vehicle controls...and the pop-in texture thing wouldn't be too cool either...

wrugoin

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2004
I'm also very happy to see Mass Effect coming for the PC.... Now, if I keep my fingers crossed, hopefully LucasArts will port Star Wars: Force Unleashed to the PC 6 months after it's console release as well.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Wrugoin, slightly off topic, but when Force Unleashed comes out i wont hold my breath for a PC port as i have a Wii, which is looks so much fun on, and has some 'exclusive' added extras!

wrugoin

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah, a little off topic. My bad. First thing I thought of when I heard Mass Effect coming to the PC is all the wonderful console games that I wish were coming to the PC as well.

Anyway... I'd love to find out what the recommended specs will be for Mass Effect. I just hope it won't choke the current 8800GTs or I may have to upgrade my videocard twice in 6 months.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004

I wouldn't worry about it. If it ran well on the 360 your 8800GT can more than handle it!

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I wouldn't worry about it. If it ran well on the 360 your 8800GT can more than handle it!
I don't think many people realize that consoles use (now semi-outdated) hardware. So having a high-end or mid-range card today pretty much guarantees that they'll be able to run as well as toss in some AA and AF.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

That's right. In fact, that's why so many people are complaining on how hardware needs to catch up on publishers' engines and so on. When you have most of the PC industry platforms running with mid GPUs, publishers will make games for that kind of support. Which in the end, even if you have a triple-sli system with good drivers, you won't benefit all that much given the current games available right now. The 2008 games look promissing visualy (such as Alan Wake or Fallout 3) but consoles might have to start sacraficing a few visuals to have smooth FPS.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I thought (THOUGHT!) I read somewhere that the 360 was roughly capable of the image quality/framerate of the GeForce 7900 series. This was taking into account the fact that developers can code exactly for the 360's hardware. Anybody confirm or deny this?

Perhaps Crysis has scared us back into thinking we MUST own 3000 dollar pc's to run games well! ;) But even with today's ~$1000 mid range gaming rig you should probably be on par or above the graphics quality of the consoles.

Yeah, Alan Wake is looking pretty cool...*knock on wood!! I will say however, that I will die if LucasArts doesn't port The Force Unleased to the PC! :( What a slap in the face huh?

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Agree re: force unleashed. I loved the jedi knight games and TFU looks great. Hope it ports.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Agree re: force unleashed. I loved the jedi knight games and TFU looks great. Hope it ports.

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
EA and turning arround, like turning a aircraft carrier arround, I'd say more chance of seeing Elvis sitting on the back of the loch ness monster walking down the street

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

OOOh, now I have a new idea for a parade float!

Regarding the Mass Effect PC port ... DAMN THEM! DAMN THEM TO HECKANBACK! Now I have to decide whether or not to buy the game twice since I bought their lie about it being 360 exclusive. A better inventory system, the ability to play it without monopolizing the entertainment center, better graphics, hotkeys for abilities.... Its like a wishlist of improvements.... I will say that if they keep the achievements in the port and their effects, I may have to get it.