Far Cry 2, better or worse?

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
As ive been able to find little about FC2 on the internet i thought ide ask here! From what i have found though im going to guess that it will be better than the first for two simple reasons, its totally open (like STALKER which is a great, albeit damn scary, game!) and they scrapped the idea of those weird mutant monkey type things (the reason i gave up on the first game).

I know that open ended maps arent everything (CoD4 is still amazing, though linear), its the removal of sci-fi monsters that im really looking foreward to. I absolutely loved the first one up until those odd aliens appeared, whilst some people will have liked it, i personally thought it ruined it.

Anyone know anything else about FC2 (game engine etc.)? I really cant wait! Oh, i also hope its more graphically friendly than Crysis as that looks incredible but its a real fps killer!

mnky9800n

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
The monsters really destroyed it for me as well. It was so cool sitting on top of one island sniping guys an island or two over or just running around destroying things, but the monkeys were annoying. It really disrupted the entire flow of the game.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah the space monkeys turned it into just another zombie-shotgun blaster. From small HD movies and screen shots it is always hard to tell what it will look like. The textures don't seem to be as detailed as in Crysis but the lighting looks like it is right on par.

Seeing GURU3D's review, it looks like it isn't quite a walk in the park for the new GPUs. They get better FPS than in Crysis but it is nothing like the 100s that you get with COD4.

I am getting ready to lose a lot of sleep this week.

General Features
DUNIA ENGINE - The Dunia Engine was built specifically for Far Cry 2 by the award-winning Ubisoft Montréal development team. It delivers the most realistic destructible environments, amazing special effects such as dynamic fire propagation and storm effects, real-time night-and-day cycle, dynamic music system, non-scripted enemy A.I. and so much more…
REAL-TIME IMMERSION - Real-time story telling, systemic auto-healing, minimal in-game interface are just few of the features that will make you feel the tension of being alone against barbarous warlords that threaten thousands of innocent lives.
WEAPONS OF CHOICE - Choose from a wide range of weapons to make your way to your primary target. Meet the fight head-on with your machine-gun, go berserk with your machete or make stealth kills as a Sniper. If you feel that the atmosphere is not warm enough, light up your flamethrower and let your enemies and everything around them feel the heat.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks, I cant wait to pirate the game, add to the decline of the PC gaming scene, and get a virus all at the same time!

Do you happen to have a gun so I can shoot myself in the foot too! That would just add icing to the cake!

darkprince72

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

LoL! :lol: Stupid Software Pirates

I will try the NoCD tonight. I bought it yesterday, I love the game so far. BOTH single and multiplayer are awesome. If you liked the FarCry multiplayer you will like this. There is almost no HUD, no radar, and you can't prone only crouch. Its just shoot what you see and it's fun. The Uprising game is fun to, only one captain per side can take the control points. I like it, and 6 different classes to choose from.

I don't pirate.... many games, I've tested a few out but uninstalled them. I buy all games I actively play. I just HATE putting in a dang CD every single time. I'm afraid one of these times one will be scratched or the drive will let it loose and shatter inside. I wish you could just install and forget it, isn't that what CD key is for?

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Dunia engine appears to be a modified Cryengine1

Not that its an overly bad thing, but I noticed a lot of similarities

Anyways, I enjoy FC2 so far quite a bit - its certainly a big step up Stalker: CS in terms of functionality, and the gameplay is more diverse. It has a feel lot like Grand Theft Auto 3

That's awesome! I just tried that NOCD exe file and it worked. I'm so happy. I like to install the game and store the CD's in a safe place. I'm always paranoid that they will get scratched or my drive will smash them. YES! I've had a game CD get smashed. I do not recall which game it was and it was SEVERAL years ago but the drive must not have held it correctly and it smashed into the side and I had to take the whole thing apart and remove all of the shrapnel.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
This atrocity is an affront to the Far Cry legacy. :non:

And yeah, I use crack for every game on my computer. Drms suck. Besides, who wants to put in a CD every time, it's soooo much work! :whistle:

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
So far, I'm really enjoying FC2... in terms of better game?
Well, to play now, obv FC2...but comparing like for like when the came out, FC was I think far superior.....

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
the dunia engine is NOT a crytek enigine 1, its a far superior engine, me myself Im into realism and thats where farcry 2 kick crysis warheads ASS, besides far cry 2's open world is fun the think of new ways of killing people and sneaking into base with a dart rifle hehe

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've been playing a lot of games just lately (wintertime, nothing better to do) and I'm extremely impressed with the Dunia engine in FarCry2. It plays OK on my laptop but it looks just fantastic on a higher spec desktop system. The world is HUGE (almost too huge), yet load times are completely reasonable. Other games I've played take longer to load and don't look nearly as good.

OTOH IMHO FarCry1 was more fun. The map on FarCry2 is annoying. It blocks your view so you really can"t walk and use the map at the same time. The world is so big you need a map so this is a major annoyance. In FarCry1 you always has a compass and map in the lower left (down out of your field of vision).

BTW According to Wiki the Dunia Engine is in fact a modified CryEngine.