SLA shell problems - win XP Pro

Nicholas

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Anybody can help?

After connecting with my dial-up network my pc displays a window
stating that the system encountered problems with SLA shell (export
version). A second window pops up and states that the pc will boot in
60 seconds and unsaved information will be lost. It also states that
"this shutdown was initiated by NT system".
I reinstalled win XP for several times now with unsuccessful results.

I will be happy if someone forwards me any information regard this
problem.

Thanks in advance
Nicholas

--
Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

It means you are attaching an unpatched, unfirewalled XP system to the 'net.
This is the sasser worm, please see:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_125007.htm
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SASSER.A

To stop the shutdown, click start/run, type "shutdown -a" (without the
quotes) and click ok.

Details on the patch needed to prevent it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/