Complicated (re)setup/(re)deployment

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

Sorry to crosspost---need the extra brainpower..

I just picked up a new Dell P-4. 40 gig drive, 512mg ram.

It has a 47 meg hidden Fat 16 partition----used by Dell? A 36 gig NTFS
(C:\) NFTS partition with XP (5<>gig used) and nuttin' else in
it--lastly, a few gig Fat 32, hidden partition at the end. All are
primary, basic.

I need to move about a dozen partitions and data from two other drives
to the new drive. I have pleanty of space. I can use a network if I get
XP back up in the new drive...?

First, I'll need to a create a 200 meg Fat Partition (Primary,bootable
for Dos---then the other Partitions will follow.)

Before reformatting, I'd like first create a partition to stash the XP
at the "end" of the drive---no space on my old drives. Then go ahead
and "destroy' the current layout, and restore XP in in a new
partition----so?

1. I need XP back up as I will use my network to move data from the
other drives in another box...As XP will "end up" on another partition,
(the Fat 16/Dos will become C:\), how is the best way to get XP back
running in a "new" volume.

Will the wizard be of use? (I'll be moving a W2K over and hope "repair"
will fix it...) If all else fails, it's a new install---but I have
scores upon scores of apps that need to be re-installed and
reconfigured...I hope "repair" works on W2k.

2. I'd prefer the new "XP partition" is *not* NTFS---Can I restore XP to
a newly created Fat 32 partition?

3. Partionion Magic comes up with an error (bad sequence number?!) with
the giant 36 gig NTFS partiton. Says something went wrong during
formatting (at the factory)---run chkdsk---well, it didn't work, so
don't know if I can use PM to do the work.

I believe I have acouple of DOS apps that can create my new partitions.
What is suggested?--For some reason Fdisk seems to be *not* the best
choice for this complicated task?

I do not want (or need) a boot manager---I'm fine with boot.ini---simply
a reformating/repartitioning tool... I will only have three OS's...DOS,
XP, W2k.--prolly in that order--all primary with the boot files in the
DOS partition as they are win my old drive (HD0).

Anyway, you see my plan. A Dos primay, W2k and XP following in FAT
32---- with eight or so partitions to follow, all apps and data in those.

Is there a better way to carry out my plan? (Which OS must go in last [I
know Dos is first]--W2k or XP, does it matter.) I'll have the necessary
W2k and XP boot files on a floppy (prolly not necessary).

--->Also, to save space in the "storing" of XP, can I forego moving the
750 meg pagefile? Upon "reboot", after "whatever" I restore (you'll
tell me the best method?), won't the pagefile "reappear". I'm fairly
certain the I386 (install/setup) folder is no longer necessary? Another
gig of savings in the storage partition.

Actually XP wasn't in my plan to run on the new machine, but I've always
had a second Windows install and I like it more than I thought.

Yes, I could wipe out everything and start from scratch. But in just a
few days I've already configured XP...not that I can't wipe it out and
do a fresh install...Let's assume you can help me avoid that. Um,
that's why I'm writing.)

Michael

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about complicated setup deployment
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

    Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

    HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Michael" wrote:

> [...]
    |
    | Is there a better way to carry out my plan? (Which OS must go in last [I
    | know Dos is first]--W2k or XP, does it matter.) I'll have the necessary
    | W2k and XP boot files on a floppy (prolly not necessary).
    |
    | --->Also, to save space in the "storing" of XP, can I forego moving the
    | 750 meg pagefile? Upon "reboot", after "whatever" I restore (you'll
    | tell me the best method?), won't the pagefile "reappear". I'm fairly
    | certain the I386 (install/setup) folder is no longer necessary? Another
    | gig of savings in the storage partition.
    |
    | Actually XP wasn't in my plan to run on the new machine, but I've always
    | had a second Windows install and I like it more than I thought.
    |
    | Yes, I could wipe out everything and start from scratch. But in just a
    | few days I've already configured XP...not that I can't wipe it out and
    | do a fresh install...Let's assume you can help me avoid that. Um,

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

    On 9/23/2004 7:58 AM, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx
    >
    > HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

    Thanks...But

    But after 20 years of using MS products---Um, been to the KB...

    After Dual-Booting for the last dozen? I'm not sure adding XP to the mix
    changes things.

    I thought my note, though verbose addressed
    (migration--install-partitioning) other issues---still outstanding.

    To summerize:

    and "destroy' the current layout, and restore in in a new partition----so?

    1. I need XP back up as I will use my network to move data from the
    other drives in another box...As XP will "end up" on another partition,
    (the Fat 16/Dos will become C:\), how is the best way to get XP back
    running in a "new" volume.

    Will the wizard be of use? (I'll be moving a W2K over and hope "repair"
    will fix it...) If all else fails, it's a new install---but I have
    scores upon scores of apps that need to be re-installed and
    reconfigured...I hope "repair" works on Wdk.

    2. I'd prefer the new "XP partition" is *not* NTFS---Can I restore XP to
    a newly created Fat 32 partition? *(Since have hearn no---.*

    3. Partionion Magic comes up with an error (bad sequence number?!) with
    the giant 36 gig NTFS partiton. Says something went wrong during
    formatting (at the factory)---run chkdsk---well, it didn't work, so
    don't know if I can use PM to do the work.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

    Michael <G-2@att.net> wrote:

> [...]
    >
    >Is there a better way to carry out my plan? (Which OS must go in last [I
    >know Dos is first]--W2k or XP, does it matter.) I'll have the necessary
    >W2k and XP boot files on a floppy (prolly not necessary).
    >
    >--->Also, to save space in the "storing" of XP, can I forego moving the
    >750 meg pagefile? Upon "reboot", after "whatever" I restore (you'll
    >tell me the best method?), won't the pagefile "reappear". I'm fairly
    >certain the I386 (install/setup) folder is no longer necessary? Another
    >gig of savings in the storage partition.
    >
    >Actually XP wasn't in my plan to run on the new machine, but I've always
    >had a second Windows install and I like it more than I thought.
    >
    >Yes, I could wipe out everything and start from scratch. But in just a
    >few days I've already configured XP...not that I can't wipe it out and
    >do a fresh install...Let's assume you can help me avoid that. Um,

    Check out BootIt Next Generation from www.bootitng.com

    That will allow you to adjust the sizes of your existing partitions,
    create new partitions in the freed up space, and to create an image of
    your existing XP Partition.

    The price is quite reasonable and it also has a 30 day fully
    functional free trial period.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

    On 9/23/2004 6:47 PM, Ron Martell wrote:

> [...]
    >>certain the I386 (install/setup) folder is no longer necessary? Another
    >>gig of savings in the storage partition.
    >>
    >>Actually XP wasn't in my plan to run on the new machine, but I've always
    >>had a second Windows install and I like it more than I thought.
    >>
    >>Yes, I could wipe out everything and start from scratch. But in just a
    >>few days I've already configured XP...not that I can't wipe it out and
    >>do a fresh install...Let's assume you can help me avoid that. Um,
    >>that's why I'm writing.)
    >>
    >>Michael
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >

    > Check out BootIt Next Generation from www.bootitng.com
    >
    > That will allow you to adjust the sizes of your existing partitions,
    > create new partitions in the freed up space, and to create an image of
    > your existing XP Partition.
    >
    > The price is quite reasonable and it also has a 30 day fully

    Thanks Ron---I have it---didn't know one could change the size of
    partitions. Thought is was only a Boot Manager...

    Michael
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basic (More info?)

> [...]

    >>certain the I386 (install/setup) folder is no longer necessary? Another
    >>gig of savings in the storage partition.
    >>
    >>Actually XP wasn't in my plan to run on the new machine, but I've always
    >>had a second Windows install and I like it more than I thought.
    >>
    >>Yes, I could wipe out everything and start from scratch. But in just a
    >>few days I've already configured XP...not that I can't wipe it out and
    >>do a fresh install...Let's assume you can help me avoid that. Um,
    >>that's why I'm writing.)
    >>
    >>Michael
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >

    > Check out BootIt Next Generation from www.bootitng.com
    >
    > That will allow you to adjust the sizes of your existing partitions,
    > create new partitions in the freed up space, and to create an image of
    > your existing XP Partition.
    >
    > The price is quite reasonable and it also has a 30 day fully

    Well Ron--I checked the BOOTITNG group and found this concerning one
    Dell setup---(this guy discusses his 1st partition)----my layout follows
    with comments:

    Sez this guy...
    1) it is a standard FAT, not FAT32, partition. If you change the partition
    type from DE to 06, you can use it as a standard FAT partition. And sure
    enough, should you want to grow the partition, it can grow to 2GB and still
    boot.

    The contents of mine is (was?) a MS-DOS 7x based set of programs to run the
    dos based diagnostics.

    2) To boot the partition requires an adjacent bootable partition. The bios
    then swaps or saves the partition type in the next partition. Funky stuff
    with the partition table. So if you modify the utility partition to be able
    to run some partition manager, you'll see partition 2 (1 based numbering) as
    DE. Also, the boot to utility partition bios function requires a partition
    type of DE and a basic file system of FAT.

    ***
    Back to me---My intent, known by Dell was to format a 200 meg FAT 16
    partition for DOS---and also re-partition the drive to accept the set-up
    from my two-drive box.

    Upon inspection with Partition Magic I found that the thirty six gig
    partition (NTFS)had a clustor error (the infamous LBA/CHS mismatch). PM
    won't touch it unless I ok PM's solution to "correct the CHS value". (I
    can't work with the hidden partition in ahead of it if I wished.) I had
    never seen that error on a new drive---.

    I've Googled that error and --- well sometims the PM "fix" works and
    sometimes it trashes the partition. Sorry, I don't have a way to back up
    thirty six gig of data to try.

    So, below is my layout---"Drive" C:\. is the second partition (first
    segment shown)---but the third MBR entry in the second segmen?. Yes,
    C:\ is the active partition and contains the system/"boot" files---? I
    don't know what will happen if I reformat anything before it (if I can?.
    No, I do not believe I can "extend" it. With C: screwed up, it won't
    allow expansion of the are ahead of it.

    And what if I do mess with the "Dell" layout?

    I opened the disk with Ranish? It was totally confused...

    So, do I own a P-4 with a WD hard drive or not?
    Am I stuck (because of the BIOS?) with a thirty five gig
    partition----and a 47 meg hidden "primary" partition for who knows what
    or why?

    I was thinking my worst case scenario (I need multiple partitions) was
    to wipe the drive and start over.

    No, the thread at BOOTITNG suggests even that isn't possible?!

    Cylinders HeadsPerCylinder SectorsPerHead BytesPerSector MediaType
    4863 255 63 512 12
    TrackSize = 32256, CylinderSize = 8225280, DiskSize = 39999536640 (38146MB)

    Signature = 0x9dc96e9e
    StartingOffset PartitionLength StartingSector PartitionNumber
    32256 49319424 63 1
    * 49351680 36183006720 96390 2
    36232358400 3758952960 70766325 3

    MBR:
    Starting Ending System Relative Total
    Cylinder Head Sector Cylinder Head Sector ID Sector Sectors
    0 1 1 5 254 63 0xde 63 96327
    * 6 0 1 1023 254 63 0x07 96390 70669935
    1023 254 63 1023 254 63 0xdb 70766325 7341705
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0x00 0 0

Partition Microsoft Windows XP