Sign in with
Your question

Top 10 Games to Watch for 2008

Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2008 6:25:59 AM

Article by Rob Wright

Now that a historic 2007 is in the rearview mirror, it may seem like there aren't that many big titles for 2008. But there's plenty more on the horizon. Here's a quick look at some of the most anticipated games for 2008.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/14/top10_games_2008/

More about : top games watch 2008

February 14, 2008 12:31:59 PM

what moron voted for the WoW expansion pack? ;) 
February 14, 2008 12:55:09 PM

Ah, can't wait for SCII and Fallout 3. This article only makes the wait longer! >_< (I still like looking at the pictures though, lol)
Related resources
February 14, 2008 1:03:33 PM

tears flow like a river from my eyes everytime I see SC2.
February 14, 2008 1:20:35 PM

Star Wars: Force Unleashed! Cant wait :D 

And shame the new GTA isnt on PC, although it will get ported eventually! An even bigger shame it isnt on Wii and controlled like the Godfather is, beating people up really is a lot of fun!
February 14, 2008 2:56:02 PM

exfileme said:
what moron voted for the WoW expansion pack? ;) 

Hahaha!

On another note, I guess this will be a bad year for FPS then :(  .

I'm still waiting for Interstellar Marines or Project Offset. What's taking so long!???
February 14, 2008 3:25:17 PM

Rob, I appreciate we have had 'Crysis' out recently which I know most people were calling 'Far Cry 2', but I believe the actual 'Far Cry 2' by Ubisoft is out next month - mar2008. The 'open' environment set in Africa looks pretty awesome, personally i am really looking forward to it, it gets no mention in your review or on 'second take' and wonder whether you have had a chance to take a look at it. Is it going to be just another FPS with fancy graphics, or should i be getting excited about now?
February 14, 2008 3:44:07 PM

and where is alan wake?
February 14, 2008 4:01:21 PM

Zex said:
and where is alan wake?

Alan Wake is high on my personal list, but it has a few things going against it that kept it off the top 10 list. First, all we have at this point is a few scenic screenshots and a brief trailer from E3 2006 (hey, what about a new trailer for 2007, maybe?). That's a little concerning. Also, don't forget that the game is reportedly going to be a Vista only title (well, maybe for the first month or two before PC gamers revolt and demand an XP version).

Still, Alan Wake was one of the harder omissions for the Top 10 list, along with Far Cry 2 and Conan. Maybe I need to do a follow up list...
February 14, 2008 4:52:19 PM

Quote:
Also, don't forget that the game is reportedly going to be a Vista only title (well, maybe for the first month or two before PC gamers revolt and demand an XP version).
We can only hope. I really don't want to upgrade an OS just to play a game, so I probably won't.
February 14, 2008 5:33:25 PM

There are a few questionable titles in that list, but most of them look awesome. SC2, Fallout 2, SW: The Force Unleashed, GTA4. Now if only they were all for PC...
February 14, 2008 6:12:01 PM

Quote:
Now if only they were all for PC...
As long as they do a decent job porting, I'll be happy. Of course, I'm sure we'd all be much more happy if they were released to PC first.

February 14, 2008 6:16:45 PM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
Now if only they were all for PC...
As long as they do a decent job porting, I'll be happy. Of course, I'm sure we'd all be much more happy if they were released to PC first.

Agreed...but unfortunately, unlikely.
February 14, 2008 8:03:25 PM

SC2 will be PC/MAC only , fortunately.

and i have to say , i've grown with Starcraft , it really is the greatest RTS ever made.

SC2 will put blizzard to test...
February 14, 2008 8:04:05 PM

That's it for the PC? Well I guess I expected that -- tis a sad day.

About the only plus I see in this is that more games that used to be PC exclusive are now being developed to work natively on OS X as Mac game sales are skyrocketing...most likely the move to Intel CPU's and now 8800GT in MacPro has boosted interest and sales.

Also Vista being a flop and DX10/DX10.1 having major performance issues with existing and new hardware, the door has been left wide open for latest version of OpenGL and GLUT to flourish.

Looks like it might be in Tom's best interest to take more of an interest in native bin gaming on OS X, or just become a Console only site.

All this hardware and nothing to play.

February 14, 2008 9:08:11 PM

I thought this article was backwards?

MGS4 and halo wars in number 1 &2 spot!!!

wtf.

who voted for mario? shouldnt they get their parents permission before getting on the internet???
somebody needs to fess up...
February 14, 2008 9:09:50 PM

@ zex-- I agree alan wake looks sweet.
February 14, 2008 10:33:43 PM

You failed to mentioned one of this year's most anticipated game--Fable 2.

I really don't understand why a mario fighting game would rank in the top ten.
February 15, 2008 12:17:11 AM

Well, i think it is official now. In the top ten games list, 2 are pc only, 1 is pc port... Tomsgames.com is a console gaming site now.
February 15, 2008 4:03:28 AM

kutark said:
Well, i think it is official now. In the top ten games list, 2 are pc only, 1 is pc port... Tomsgames.com is a console gaming site now.

Actually, three are PC only -- StarCraft, which is #1, WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, and Spore. Compare that to 1 PS3 only title, 1 Wii only title and 1 Xbox 360 title. Does that really make Tom's Games a console gaming site? Or are you just upset, like me, that LucasArts, Rockstar, and Capcom don't see fit to make PC versions of their games?

If it would make you feel better, Kutark, I'm happy to make a Top 10 PC title list.
February 15, 2008 10:38:32 AM

Actually, Spore is coming out for Mac OS, mobile phones and the DS too lol... if those count.
February 15, 2008 3:14:56 PM

Where is Far Cry 2, Killzone 2, Alan Wake, etc.?

How could those not make the list but Halo Wars and a Wow expansion pack could? Halo Wars isn't even a FPS (I guess they've gotten to the point where they can milk the brand name - and end up with something like Sim City:Societies :(  )
February 15, 2008 3:32:51 PM

Quote:
Wow expansion pack could?
Probably because of the supposed 10mil subscribers. Although, I do agree that an expansion pack shouldn't be on the list. Maybe replacing it with FC2 or Alan Wake would be more appropriate.
February 16, 2008 4:13:21 AM

robwright said:
Actually, three are PC only -- StarCraft, which is #1, WoW: Wrath of the Lich King, and Spore. Compare that to 1 PS3 only title, 1 Wii only title and 1 Xbox 360 title. Does that really make Tom's Games a console gaming site? Or are you just upset, like me, that LucasArts, Rockstar, and Capcom don't see fit to make PC versions of their games?

If it would make you feel better, Kutark, I'm happy to make a Top 10 PC title list.

Thanks for the correction, i'll admit now going and looking back, i probably saw the weird colored suits and monkey style characters of Spore and just kind of mind-erased/ignored it. As for the xbox only vs ps3 only, well, i just kind of lump it all in with "consoles". I know its not neccesarily the "fairest" thing to do, but, well, i'm bitter and jaded damnit ;-).

To answer your question though, yes i am upset that many of these gaming companies (for shame on Lucasarts especially, they wouldn't be where they are were it not for PC games) are ignoring the PC simply due to the almighty dollar. I can't neccesarily blame them, being as it is a capitalist society and all, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere between art and profit. I just wish there were more companies like Valve, companies who have faith in PC gaming. It seems like somewhere along the line the developers let the businessmen get a strangehold.

I think it would make me happy to see you do a top 10 pc anticipated pc games list, with the exception that i am not sure there are 10 games even in development at the moment for the PC that people are actually anticipating on a large scale(i know i am exaggerating).
February 16, 2008 3:07:29 PM

I would have to agree with Kutark's last para, personally as a PC Gamer I am not a bit interested in anything that comes out for the consoles (unless it's well ported). I would really like to see a 'top 10 pc anticipated' games, or even top 5. I appreciate it makes a 'reviewers' life easier to lump all consoles together with PC's but there needs to be seperate distinctive lists, as there are reviews.
February 17, 2008 7:00:49 AM

And where is "Half Life 2: Episode 3"?
February 17, 2008 1:30:58 PM

They better release GTA IV for PC. The first two GTA's were originally for PC only and it should only be on PC if any system.
March 1, 2008 10:56:12 AM

Rob, nice list, however I think you may be under estimating Spore a bit. I think it will be every bit as successful as Starcraft 2, more so even because it will be multi-platform and it will have more broad appeal.
March 1, 2008 3:53:22 PM

no way, Starcraft 2 will be way more successful worldwide

the fact that Starcraft is still the most competitive game in the world will push SC2 over the top
March 1, 2008 6:29:18 PM

oktoberfest said:
no way, Starcraft 2 will be way more successful worldwide

the fact that Starcraft is still the most competitive game in the world will push SC2 over the top

Most competitive game in South Korea you mean.
March 1, 2008 10:13:56 PM

I'm looking forward to playing Mass Effect this year on the pc, I'm not a console man myself.
March 3, 2008 2:43:47 AM

WOOOO STARCRAFT 2
March 3, 2008 5:34:55 AM

Of the 10 listed games I might (strong might) buy Spore.

I only have a PC so console games are automatically excluded.
!