forwardrefresh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Hello all

I have a quick question about the socket 478 chipset that is being used for Pentium IV processors.
I recently designed a computer for myself with a 2.8ghz PIV and a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Intel 850E chipset w/ 512mb of ram..
I designed it so I could upgrade the system in the future with minimal cost. Specifically all I want to do in the future is to plug in a new processor and be done with it. The one thing i forgot to research is HOW long the socket 478 setup will be around. I already know that HT is supported on my board but if socket 478 is about to be discontinued, I will not be able to just plug in a new processor and be done with upgrading.

Does anyone know how long Intel is planning to continue with Socket 478? Am I in the clear or is it hopeless for me.

Can't give you an exact answer. Prescott may continue in socket 478 format next year. But Gigabyte has to continue to provide bios updates for your board to work with the faster cpus. Boards and specs are changing constantly. I wouldn't bank on it. I run ads and sell stuff as I upgrade. I've got 2 leftover p4 boards. When the time comes, you may want to do the same, or give them to another family member.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain the current P4 will go to 3.6GHz, and the next P4 will fit and function. But there will be a new bus speed, and I'm not certain whether Intel will produce a lower bus speed CPU for upgrades, they usually do.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain the current P4 will go to 3.6GHz, and the next P4 will fit and function. But there will be a new bus speed, and I'm not certain whether Intel will produce a lower bus speed CPU for upgrades, they usually do.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

forwardrefresh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
So how long do you think I have..Oddly enough, until a month ago I was running a PII 233 w/ 32 megs of ram with heavy upgrades. I was hoping to prolong the usefullness of my system for at least a year and a half.. You think I can make it?

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
What's the deal with the price difference between 2.4B and 2.53? It's like 50 bucks. Does that frequency provide something other than an additional .13 GHz, like optimizing the flugen flapper?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Karlsbad on 12/11/02 01:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It makes you geekier. Bragging rights are worth so much that the 3.06 is a good deal if you have enough friends to brag to.

TRENDING THREADS