I've already fixed it. There were lots of things falling apart. So I just did
an OS repair. I'd already done 2 rollbacks this week.

But the question still exists in case it happens again.. Where did my DOS HELP
go ?
ie: Help RD, help DIR, help etc..
some sort of error specifically saying it didn't have a clue what help was...

Try looking at a computer that has DOS on it.
Or...

Command-line reference
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

Command-line reference A-Z
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

Or >>

Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:

%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Click OK
-----

Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm

Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eek:om6l0d8g1nmlvoh15ak3o3qhnk5dfn9ad@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> hunted and pecked:
> I've already fixed it. There were lots of things falling apart. So I
> just did an OS repair. I'd already done 2 rollbacks this week.
>
> But the question still exists in case it happens again.. Where did my
> DOS HELP go ?
> ie: Help RD, help DIR, help etc..
> some sort of error specifically saying it didn't have a clue what
> help was...

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:32:58 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

OK. This goes into my XP hints folder.
But after reading the replies, it occurs I didn't word the question correctly.
Where did my DOS HELP go ?
I didn't delete that chm file..

I've been carrying around a DOS program since 1990 LIST, STS, and some other
program. STS is sort of a dual windows explorer for DOS. and LIST is pretty
much exactly what you think it would be. it lists a directory or whatever file
it's sitting on, binary or text and correct format, moves thru folders, etc..
Long time ago and several times since I've added path: c:\windows\system32 to
my config.sys. to use this list program. It'll work for that day, no idea how
long after that, but I've almost always had to repair the autoexec or
config.sys to reinstall the win32 to the path.
today's path was pointing to a non existent program in the common folders.

seems there's always something modifying itself in a negative way. ie: Today
some program kept trying to reinstall itself. Finally had to uninstall the
program cause installing was failing.

>Try looking at a computer that has DOS on it.
>Or...
>
>Command-line reference
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx
>
>Command-line reference A-Z
>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx
>
>Or >>
>
>Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>
>%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
>
>Click OK
>-----
>
>Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>
>hh ntcmds.chm
>
>Click OK

Which *.chm file?

Start | Run | Type: helpctr | OK |
Type DOS in the Search box.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:hcp6l052tt9cvh5h5gq7m6pnq22tmjgcm1@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> hunted and pecked:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:32:58 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> OK. This goes into my XP hints folder.
> But after reading the replies, it occurs I didn't word the question
> correctly. Where did my DOS HELP go ?
> I didn't delete that chm file..
>
> I've been carrying around a DOS program since 1990 LIST, STS, and
> some other program. STS is sort of a dual windows explorer for DOS.
> and LIST is pretty much exactly what you think it would be. it lists
> a directory or whatever file it's sitting on, binary or text and
> correct format, moves thru folders, etc.. Long time ago and several
> times since I've added path: c:\windows\system32 to my config.sys. to
> use this list program. It'll work for that day, no idea how long
> after that, but I've almost always had to repair the autoexec or
> config.sys to reinstall the win32 to the path.
> today's path was pointing to a non existent program in the common
> folders.
>
> seems there's always something modifying itself in a negative way.
> ie: Today some program kept trying to reinstall itself. Finally had
> to uninstall the program cause installing was failing.
>
>> Try looking at a computer that has DOS on it.
>> Or...
>>
>> Command-line reference

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

>> Command-line reference A-Z

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx

>> Or >>
>>
>> Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>>
>> %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
>>
>> Click OK
>> -----
>>
>> Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>>
>> hh ntcmds.chm
>>
>> Click OK

Plain and Simple: in XP, you have a DOS emulator, but DOS doesn't exist.
XP doesn't use config.sys or autoexec.bat, it uses config.nt and autoexec.nt
for the DOS emulator.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:32:58 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> OK. This goes into my XP hints folder.
> But after reading the replies, it occurs I didn't word the question
> correctly.
> Where did my DOS HELP go ?
> I didn't delete that chm file..
>
> I've been carrying around a DOS program since 1990 LIST, STS, and some
> other
> program. STS is sort of a dual windows explorer for DOS. and LIST is
> pretty
> much exactly what you think it would be. it lists a directory or whatever
> file
> it's sitting on, binary or text and correct format, moves thru folders,
> etc..
> Long time ago and several times since I've added path: c:\windows\system32
> my config.sys. to use this list program. It'll work for that day, no idea
> how
> long after that, but I've almost always had to repair the autoexec or
> config.sys to reinstall the win32 to the path.
> today's path was pointing to a non existent program in the common folders.
>
> seems there's always something modifying itself in a negative way. ie:
> Today
> some program kept trying to reinstall itself. Finally had to uninstall the
> program cause installing was failing.
>
>>Try looking at a computer that has DOS on it.
>>Or...
>>
>>Command-line reference
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx
>>
>>Command-line reference A-Z
>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_o.mspx
>>
>>Or >>
>>
>>Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>>
>>%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
>>
>>Click OK
>>-----
>>
>>Start | Run and copy and paste the following line:
>>
>>hh ntcmds.chm
>>
>>Click OK
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

David

try: %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

David

Husky wrote:

> I've already fixed it. There were lots of things falling apart. So I just did
> an OS repair. I'd already done 2 rollbacks this week.
>
> But the question still exists in case it happens again.. Where did my DOS HELP
> go ?
> ie: Help RD, help DIR, help etc..
> some sort of error specifically saying it didn't have a clue what help was...

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:34:08 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

I'm guessing ntcmds.chm that you mentioned. As I said I had it fixed with an OS
Repair/install because the missing help in dos wasn't the only thing that had
modified itself to mess things up.
So all I've done is saved these hints in case the dos help disappears again.

>Which *.chm file?
>
>Start | Run | Type: helpctr | OK |
>Type DOS in the Search box.

only windows 1.0-windows 2000/ME use DOS windows doesnt use DOS

"Husky" wrote:

> I've already fixed it. There were lots of things falling apart. So I just did
> an OS repair. I'd already done 2 rollbacks this week.
>
> But the question still exists in case it happens again.. Where did my DOS HELP
> go ?
> ie: Help RD, help DIR, help etc..
> some sort of error specifically saying it didn't have a clue what help was...
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Well, keep having fun! ;-)

--