Probably Dumb newbie Question but Video Cache Mode

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
hi all

i have an ASUS P4B533-E MB and in the BIOS under Advanced-Chip Configuration there are to options which i'm wondering about

"Graphics Aperture Size" (which i have set at 128MB)

and the one i'm more puzzled about is

"Video Memory Cache Mode" (the options are UC or USWC and my PC runs fine with either of these on, but i don't know which is best to have selected)

I own a GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB graphics card, and i was wondering what do i set each of those settings to, and what do each of those do? esspecially the second one.

thanks

<font color=blue> When is a pile of sand a pile of sand? one grain . . . two grains?</font color=blue>

RCPilot

Champion
Graphics Aperture Size should be set to 1/2 the on board RAM. In my case 512 DDR333, Graphics Aperture Size 256.

The other question on VIdeo Memory Cash, I don't know either. I have ASUS A7V8X & mine will run fine on either one of the UC, WSWC also. So I'm going to wait for the other knowledgeable people on the forum to enlighten the both of us.

Skinny

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Really? I thought the AGP aperture size was defined by the bits (bandwidth) of the video card. For example, the new Radeons are 256 bit, so the AGP aperture would be set to 256, whereas slightly older cards like the GeForce4 were 128 bit, so the AGP aperture would be 128. I could definitely be wrong here though.

RCPilot

Champion
I've always use the rule of thumb (for lack of a better term) APG is set to 1/2 the on board RAM. Maybe I have it confused myself. But if I have 256 mgs of RAM installed. 128 is the most it will show in BIOS for Graphics Aperture Size, even though the board will support more. If I install 512, 256 will show at that point & that's what I use.

However I did some reading after your post & I'm not totally sure. In the manual for the a7v8x I'm running, it says that it will support Graphics Aperture sizes of [4MB] [8MB] [16MB] [32MB] [64MB] [128MB] [256MB] [512MB] [1024MB]. Then there's a note that reads: "The [1024MB] & [512MB] configuration options are available only when you use APG 8X graphics card." The 1024 & 512 do not show in the BIOS at all now. I'm running DDR333 512mb. There isn't a 8X card out there yet. So the Rule of thumb goes out the window. If I put a gig of DDR333 on board 256 would still be all that showed in BIOS.

I am running the slightly older Geforce TI4600 @ Graphics Aperture Size of 256 & the graphics are awesome. I don't touch the Radon's regardless, because of the driver issues that have always been there. They say they have their act together now, but I'm going to wait a good long time to see how that issue shakes out before I even try one again. FX on the horizon you see.

Maybe I could use some enlightenment as I build 4 or 5 machines a month for people. Guess that my Signature says it all on this one.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!