Invalid Data type "Help"

I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic

The Error is
Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'

Where or what do I change to correct this?
I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
has a binary data 01 00 00 00
I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
one place to change?

Thanks in Advance for any help offered.
5 answers Last reply
More about invalid data type help

    Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
    Menu.
    Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
    UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
    xplorer]
    SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)

    "GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
    > I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
    >
    > The Error is
    > Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
    >
    > Where or what do I change to correct this?
    > I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
    > I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
    > has a binary data 01 00 00 00
    > I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
    > one place to change?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

    I tried your fix for the second time and it does nothing. In fact
    doing a Registry search yields 3 instances of it and I changed all of
    them and still a no go.
    Do you have any more words of wisdom for me to try?

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:09:25 -0500, "ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
    >Menu.
    > Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
    >UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
    >xplorer]
    >SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    >Explorer]
    >Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    >Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    >Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
    >

    >"GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
    >> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
    >>
    >> The Error is
    >> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
    >>
    >> Where or what do I change to correct this?
    >> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
    >> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
    >> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
    >> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
    >> one place to change?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

    Why don't you just get rid of the program 'system mechanic'?
    "ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
    > Menu.
    > Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
    > UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
    > xplorer]
    > SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    > Explorer]
    > Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    > Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    > Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
    >

    > "GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
    >> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
    >>
    >> The Error is
    >> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
    >>
    >> Where or what do I change to correct this?
    >> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
    >> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
    >> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
    >> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
    >> one place to change?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

    I did just that. What good was it if itdoes not work? Their web site
    was no help either. A shame too as I had good luck with version 3. I
    have since moved on so will not be reloading any of them.

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:49:54 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
    wrote:

    >Why don't you just get rid of the program 'system mechanic'?
    >"ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
    >> Menu.
    >> Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
    >> UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
    >> xplorer]
    >> SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    >> Explorer]
    >> Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
    >> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    >> Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
    >>

    >> "GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
    >>> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
    >>>
    >>> The Error is
    >>> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
    >>>
    >>> Where or what do I change to correct this?
    >>> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
    >>> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
    >>> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
    >>> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
    >>> one place to change?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

    Had the same problem with System Mechanic Website. They need to remove
    the word SUPPORT from the website! So, I took matter into my own
    hand... Try this:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    what ever invalid data type you have, delete in the registry above. I
    think I had 4 of them, noactivedisktop?, noresentdocsmenu,
    nodriveautorun, and something else. Just delete the value to the right
    in the registry editor, as to what System mechanic pro 5 has a problem
    with.

    As always, back up your registry before modifying your registry. In
    the Registry Editor, click File, Export, save to disk...

    Good luck, it is working for me...

    PS: here is where I got the idea:

    Had the same problem with my office word, and notice some entries that
    should not be in the registry string above... Now, I have both fixed!
    Now, not sure if System Mech Pro 5 is worth the trouble?? So, being my
    time is money, I hacked it! Don't like it, then I suggest you support
    your product!

    good day to ya!

    --
    hackdaddy