Invalid Data type "Help"

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic

The Error is
Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'

Where or what do I change to correct this?
I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
has a binary data 01 00 00 00
I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
one place to change?

Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
Menu.
Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
xplorer]
SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer]
Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)

"GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
>
> The Error is
> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
>
> Where or what do I change to correct this?
> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
> one place to change?
>
> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I tried your fix for the second time and it does nothing. In fact
doing a Registry search yields 3 instances of it and I changed all of
them and still a no go.
Do you have any more words of wisdom for me to try?

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:09:25 -0500, "ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
>Menu.
> Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
>UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
>xplorer]
>SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
>Explorer]
>Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
>Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
>

>"GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
>> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
>>
>> The Error is
>> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
>>
>> Where or what do I change to correct this?
>> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
>> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
>> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
>> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
>> one place to change?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Why don't you just get rid of the program 'system mechanic'?
"ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
> Menu.
> Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
> UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
> xplorer]
> SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> Explorer]
> Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
>

> "GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
>> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
>>
>> The Error is
>> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
>>
>> Where or what do I change to correct this?
>> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
>> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
>> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
>> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
>> one place to change?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

I did just that. What good was it if itdoes not work? Their web site
was no help either. A shame too as I had good luck with version 3. I
have since moved on so will not be reloading any of them.

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:49:54 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
wrote:

>Why don't you just get rid of the program 'system mechanic'?
>"ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this will do it. Here's how to remove recent docs from Start
>> Menu.
>> Remove Recent Documents from the Start Menu
>> UKey:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\E
>> xplorer]
>> SKey:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
>> Explorer]
>> Value Name: NoRecentDocsMenu
>> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>> Value Data: (0 = display, 1 = remove)
>>

>> "GreyTop" <GreyTop@military.com> wrote in message
>>> I keep getting this error in a program called System Mechanic
>>>
>>> The Error is
>>> Invalid data type for 'NoRecentDocsMenu'
>>>
>>> Where or what do I change to correct this?
>>> I am sure it has something to do with the START MENU but what?
>>> I run a find on the registry and I find an item with that name and it
>>> has a binary data 01 00 00 00
>>> I tried changing the 1 to 0 but that did not do. Is there more than
>>> one place to change?
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance for any help offered.

Had the same problem with System Mechanic Website. They need to remove
the word SUPPORT from the website! So, I took matter into my own
hand... Try this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

what ever invalid data type you have, delete in the registry above. I
think I had 4 of them, noactivedisktop?, noresentdocsmenu,
nodriveautorun, and something else. Just delete the value to the right
in the registry editor, as to what System mechanic pro 5 has a problem
with.

As always, back up your registry before modifying your registry. In
the Registry Editor, click File, Export, save to disk...

Good luck, it is working for me...

PS: here is where I got the idea:

Had the same problem with my office word, and notice some entries that
should not be in the registry string above... Now, I have both fixed!
Now, not sure if System Mech Pro 5 is worth the trouble?? So, being my
time is money, I hacked it! Don't like it, then I suggest you support
your product!

good day to ya!

--
hackdaddy