Having problem doing a fresh install of xp

September 24, 2004 1:26:25 AM

Currently my pc is having a dualboot between xp and
linux. When I try doing a fresh install of xp, during the
setup I was given 3 option

1) Setup windows xp on selected item, press enter.
2)Create partition in the unpartition space, press C.
3)Delete selected partition, press D.

And also the following:

C: partition 1 NTFS 17469mb
E: partition 2 unknown 102mb
partition 3 unknown 11304mb
partition 4 unknown 447mb

And when I choose D to delete selected partition, I was
only given the option to delete partition 1 which is xp,
it seems as though I was not given the option to delete
linux as well, so how am I going to do a fresh install,
making sure everything is remove?

More about : problem fresh install

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:20:24 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:26:25 -0700, "murphy"

>Currently my pc is having a dualboot between xp and
>linux. When I try doing a fresh install of xp, during the
>setup I was given 3 option
>
>1) Setup windows xp on selected item, press enter.
>2)Create partition in the unpartition space, press C.
>3)Delete selected partition, press D.
>
>And also the following:
>
>C: partition 1 NTFS 17469mb
>E: partition 2 unknown 102mb
>partition 3 unknown 11304mb
>partition 4 unknown 447mb
>
>And when I choose D to delete selected partition, I was
>only given the option to delete partition 1 which is xp,
>it seems as though I was not given the option to delete
>linux as well, so how am I going to do a fresh install,
>making sure everything is remove?

Did you use your cursor keys to select a partition, then choose "D" to
delete it?

Donald L McDaniel
Keep the thread intact
Post reply to original newsgroup
September 24, 2004 10:04:37 AM

Hi,

To delete the Linux partitions you will need to use the Linux pdisk utility.
Boot with the Linux disk or floppy and use it to remove the unwanted ext2/3
and swap partitions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/