Top 20 Selling Retail PC Games in February 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
lol shows mostly casual gamers buy at stores probably because they dont know about places like steam or new egg haha.

Nice to at least see some of the actual good games on there though..they should be higher though because sims 3 isnt that great of a game ..well sims in general isnt that great of a game.No is WOW which Ive ALWAYS HATED SINCE I first played it.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Wow! Sims, really? (6 times in top 20!!!) I never liked the Sims game so I am biased, but I am certainly surprised it's sooooo popular. (I guess the movie Surrogates wasn't too far fetched.) CoD MW2 is apparently still selling well despite all the complaints that suggested "nobody" will by the game. (I didn't but many others apparently did despite the limitations and the high price.)

Then again, from that list I only purchased Bioshock 2 with no intent to get any of the others.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]You cant buy ST online online. Its pretty ridiculous that you have to go into a store to buy an online game...[/citation]

That's just false. You can buy it through steam and at the star trek website....

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
FWIW, my thoughts on the top 10:
Sims 3 - High End Loft This looks cool, I'll have to pick that up.
Star Trek Online I played in the beta, but haven't played much since the release. It's not bad, but it is highly repetitive until you get to higher levels.
Sims 3 Excellent game. What really makes it fun is not just the expansions, but the cool mods and accessories people always come out with.
Bioshock 2 Haven't gotten this one yet, but it's on the list.
EverQuest II: Sentinel's Fate Expansion Pack Seriously? People still play EQ2?
Mass Effect 2 Now THERE'S a game! Certainly one of the best I've ever played. If you haven't played it, I HIGHLY recommend it!
World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King Damn! That's impressive considering it came out 16 months ago. You gotta love WoW. Lots to do; plenty of people to hunt (or hunt with); and at $14.99/month, it's fairly cheap entertainment.
The Sims 2 Double Deluxe I assume this is mostly people with older computers that can't run Sims 3? :p
The Sims 3: World Adventures Another one on my list. So many games, so little time. I think I need to work two days a week and be off for 5 days at a time. That should do it.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Im a casual gamer and know about steam and new egg. However, I actually like having a physical copy of a game. It looks better having all my games lined up to show off to my friends, than to say, "hey look at my hard drive"

Sooo yeah, physical copy ftw!

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The reason WoW keeps making the sellers list is due to the online gold farmers that get banned, its nothing for them to rebuy a new CD keys to continue business, when they do get caught. New accunts they power level sell as well are figured in those as well for those that buy from thesekinda places. A CD key set for WoW is cheap vs what they make for selling gold / items / power level chars off of them. It keeps them in business for those that get banned.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
This list to me seems to favor a certain type of gamer, most serious gamers use some type of digital purchase/download system which I think would heavily skew the results, especially if the publisher offers a good delivery system, Valve titles via steam, Impulse/Stardock, EA Link... And this is not even considering that the above listed games are the ones you will find in every store, many other games are very hit or miss for shelf space.

The fact that people purchased STO is sad considering the state of beta when they ended it.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
The last sims game i played was on gamecube...and it was (F-bomb)ing horrible. Want to talk about a waste of time, money, and your life.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Sims 3 is actually quite good. When I fired it up (purchased for wife) I said "oh, more sims", then I started playing to test performance with my new card, then I kept playing. It was not long before I was completely sucked in which is also the reason I never fired it up again ;)

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]The sims?!?![/citation]
Isn't it obvious? Out of all the females that play video games, I'm sure this is far and away the most popular game.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]What disses me off about Sims is the fact that what you do in the game are things you are supposed to do IN REAL LIFE. If you play Sims, chances are you wish you are living the kind of life you're having in the game, and that's just sad.Or, best case, is that you already do all those things in life and yet you still sit down in front of your PC and do it all all over again. And that's just lame.So I think Sims is either sad or lame. Too bad it's a best seller.[/citation]
You do realize your logic could be applied to any video game ever created, right?

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom](...)you do in the game are things you are supposed to do IN REAL LIFE.(...)[/citation]
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]You do realize your logic could be applied to any video game ever created, right?[/citation]
QFT. BBL - I'm off to change my gender, save the world, steal some cars, travel through time and kill some zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.