koomba

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
Ive seen a few posts about people getting ddr333 with their granite bay boards(on this forum and others), but on the asus site, it says it only supports ddr266. Does anyone know if it supports ddr333? Cause i was looking at the board, but id hate to spend all that money on the board and ddr333 just to find out it doesnt support it. thanks.

minime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
you should be able to. Think of the DDR2100 2700 3200 ect as gasoline ratings. A car that only require 87 octane fuel can run on 93 octane gas, but a sports car that require premium gas can't always run on regular fuel. DDR2700 (333) is just a more capable form of DDR. It CAN run at 333, but doesn't mean it has to run at DDR333, it can run at the slower speed.

So the answer should be "yes", you can use DDR333. But you just won't be able to take advantage of the higher speed ceilings of the ram. But that's why you overclock the FSB. A DDR266 might not be able to run at FSB much faster than the default 133 MHz, so your overclocking ability will be restricted. But a DDR333 will not be a OC restriction until you reach FSB of 166 MHz and beyond (and you will be very luck to be able to OC to FSB of 166).

I'm thinking about getting a GranitBay mobo as well, and I'm definitly getting a DDR333, if not DDR400 (so if I upgrade my mobo later, I might still be able to use the ram). But that's when the prices gets to be the problem. GB mobo is already expensive, and all that good ram isn't helping either.... money, you can never have enough.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
The Gigabyte 8INXP Limited Edition is proving to be the granite bay motherboard of choice.

As long as, the motherboard supports a synchronized speed ratio, 1:1, between the FSB and Memory speed, it is possible to run your memory at DDR400 or faster - Gigabyte 8INXP is capable of this, for example. Definitely get quality DDR400 memory(Corsair), for the future's sake.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

KhanAlf

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
What is so great about this GB board? Is it the CPU or the huper-threading? I am new to motherboard technology so please bear with me.

KhanAlf

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Dual Channel DDR SDRAM - provides more memory bandwidth to the bandwidth hungry Pentium4. Better upgradability - future 800MHz QDR FSB Prescotts and Northwoods.

KhanAlf

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
How much of a performance boost can we hope to see with 3D games? Will it only be worthwhile using a 3+ gig cpu or will the 2+ also register a -worthwhile- performance boost. I am about to order parts for a new computer and I am wondering if this is it. Thanks for your input

KhanAlf

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
How much of a performance boost can we hope to see with 3D games?
Current Pentium4s verus future 800MHz QDR FSB Pentium4s. Plenty! Attributed to hypterthreading, higher fsb speeds, higher clock speeds.
Will it only be worthwhile using a 3+ gig cpu or will the 2+ also register a -worthwhile- performance boost.
The perfect choice would be a Pentium4 2.4B with C1 stepping (available at atacom.com or pcnut.com, make sure to get the one with "C1 stepping" in the product description). Very fast and potent overclocker.