Games to buy?

Hograz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Hey everyone, as some of you may know i have just put together a new gaming system - my first in 7 years!!

Anyway now that its ready im wondering what PC must buy games are around at the moment? as ive been playing consoles way to long im not up to date with the PC market... I love FPS and RPGs,

So what are you all playing and would you reccomend buying it?

Thanks, Hog

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
F.E.A.R.

I'm replaying it for the third time.

For some reason I can't get enough of that game. It must be the incredible atmosphere it generates.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
For an fps fan your first buy has got to be the orange box (HL2 + ep1& ep2, portal and TF2). it's pretty much the best video game bundle since super mario bros. and duckhunt.

if you just upgraded from a 7 year old machine im assuming you havent played half life 2, which is a must.

portal is a game that i couldn't stop playing until i finished it, which wasnt a bad thing since the game only takes about 3 hours to play through. its just one of those really unique games that you have to experience for yourself. I would even say its worth playingthrough, if for no other reason then getting to the ending credits.

And then for your multiplayer fix you get TF2. at first i was unsure about this one because of my lack of enjoyment of TFC, but the guys at value did such a good job on this game. and with the new character abilities and gametypes on the way its just gonna get better.

Brubold

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Orange Box is very good as scudst0rm said. Portal is on it and is one of the best games of 2007 (my pick for GotY). Bioshock was pretty good as well.

Crysis is fun and all, I beat it once but haven't really been wanting to replay it. Its nice and the graphics are great but it still didn't amaze me as much as when Half Life 2 first came out as that jump in graphics seemed much larger to me.

Right now the best buy is Orange Box. For $40-$50 bucks you get 5 games. Well six+ if you include the fact that Half Life and all its mods come with Half Life 2.

Half Life 2 is a must play series so far. If you haven't played Half Life you can download the original for free when you buy the Orange Box or pay and buy the source version although there is a mod for HL2 that is basically a complete Source engine upgrade to HL1.

Episodes 1 and 2 of Half Life 2 continue from where you start off. They are both great and the end of the second one really gets ya and makes you want to play Episode 3.

Portal is fantastic. Remember this: " Cake is a lie but the Cube is forever". It has a different approach to it and ties in with HL2. We will find out more in subsiquent Portal releases and HL2 Episode 3. You will love the credit song turst me. And GLaDOS makes the game even etter.

Now for the grand daddy of them all. Team Fortress 2. Its probably the best online game I have played. 9 classes wach with their own unique personalities and skills. When you play you always feel like you helped in one way or the other. Plus the amount of custom maps such as Mario Cart or Casbah is nice. I swear I have so many maps I don't know what to do with them all.

COD4 is nice if you like military games. Good graphics but linear play. Still very fun when blowing up the bad guys.

BioShock is unique in the fact that there are many abilities and weapons. Plus the story is freaky.

Now just a side note if you have ever liked RTS C&C3: Tiberum Wars is great. Its fun and challenging.

RPG wise Oblivion is a great buy. Nice graphics and the most open ended world out there. Nice character customizations plus mods to make your characters look even better.

Also The Witcher is fun. Unique story and nice gameplay. But controls are a little difficult at first. After you get used to them its fun to play.

Thats all I have for now. Enjoy and game on!!!!!!!

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
F.E.A.R.

I'm replaying it for the third time.

For some reason I can't get enough of that game. It must be the incredible atmosphere it generates.
That game scares the crap out of me. I still haven't managed to get past the 5th or 6th mission. (The one where those weird people jump out of the walls at you)

*edit* Oops, forgot to give some recommendations.

I'd give another +1 to Orange Box, CoD4, and Bioshock. All top-notch games.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It's very unique. I can honestly say that I've never played anything like it.

The gameplay is fantastic from start to finish and the voice acting / story is just icing on the cake. :lol: I crack my self up sometimes. I would have easily payed $20 for just Portal. The inclusion of TF2, HL:2 + ep. 1 & 2 (+Lost Coast) just makes Orange Box all the better.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

You can try Guild Wars, Fileplanet has/had a trial thing going on. I suggest you get WoW as a last resort, or else you become a pile of goo like me. But sometimes I reform into a solid mass to go admin a server in CS:S and kick some ass.

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
A fair few Half-Life 2 fans here, I notice. I don't get that anymore. Loved HL-2 when it first came out, then played Crysis, then had a go at the Orange Box, e.g. eps. 1 and 2 and ... got bored and abandoned it. In HL-2 you get occasional glimpses of the world, but before too long you're back in a mine, tunnel or other confined space and the game play is just so linear and predictable. Crysis is like a good board game where the rules and the players stay the same, but depending on the throw of the dice it turns out different. With most other games it's more like you get the same throw of the dice every time. That said Portal was cool.

Agreed but as far as I have heard there will be free subsiquent releases of Portal to extend it. But after the ending I wounder where Vavle could go. Maybe a prequal?

Jist play Portal. Its great and has a challenege unlike most FPS games since you are used to them.

I think you gave up too early. If you played through HL-2 was the continuation. Episode 1 allowed us to see City 17 in the wake and soon to be explosion of the Citadel. Episode 2 let you outdoors. And don't tell me you didn't try to do the "Send the Gnome to Space" achievement. I am not sure how to do it easily but I guess you can.

Also the one thing that still amazes me to this day is the facial expressions and the fact that Vavle programmed 40 individual facial muscles to give more lifelike expressions and it works great where as Crysis didn't seem the same. Also the Gravity gun opened new worlds for a lot of things especially after you got the level 2 version. Now if they had that in Crysis it would have been more fun. Launch a Korean into the waters!!!!!!!!

MMO wise Guild wars is nice since its not mainly about leveling and grinding. A nice *Free* MMO is 2Moons. Free download and play. They have a cash shop but its mainly for costumes, mounts and random stuff. 6 classes multiple weapons and different builds. But its a big grind. Nice look though.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004

An excellent choice! That should keep you entertained for weeks and weeks! Definitely worth it to go back and play through Half Life, Half Life 2, and Episodes 1 and 2 to get caught up with the series. Nobody does cinematic gameplay like Valve!

I must also voice support for The Witcher if you are an RPG fan, especially if you prefer story and atmosphere to looting, customization, and leveling up. (Though you do limited amounts of all of those things still). The game is a terrific start to the series and can draw you in with its great story and cinematic feel. It also takes an ironically refreshing approach to morality...instead of the good/evil choices present in most RPGs, your decisions have realistic ramifications. For example, you may be tempted to save someone's life, but this person may come back and kill others later on.

However, if you are into looting and character customization, then an MMORPG or Oblivion (especially if you mod the living daylights out of it!) may be more your style. There are still people out there playing Oblivion nearly two years after its release due to the number of mods and the sheer amount of content and expansions available in the first place.

Going back in time a couple of years, you might also check out Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It is one of those games that doesn't have a TON of name recognition but is really well done and easily worthy of a play through at the prices you can find it for these days (under $10). Of course, going back this far in time, you may also consider Far Cry, which can also be found for under $10 and will tell you more or less if Crysis is worth the purchase, as they are very similar games.

Also, if you have any historical interest in World War II, the Brothers in Arms series might be worth checking out. The series is extremely thoroughly researched and historically accurate; they actually sent art teams to Normandy to sketch buildings that were encountered by the troops during the invasion and recreated them with a painstaking amount of detail.

He might get addicted to TF2 which would be great cuz I am too!!!!

But another game that was pretty fun but not too big in mentioning was Overlord. It was fun having little goblins do you bidding. Maybe not the best one but still fun as could be especially when one Goblin decided to make a helmet out of a carved pumpkin.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
If you played and enjoyed Elite, go and pick up X3:Reunion and be amazed how far things have come. Crank up the detail and it's purdy... it will also steal your life.

And not everything is about pretty graphics either - if you like turn-based games, the latest outing of Civ is excellent (although still no advisors videos after Civ2 - boo!) and Galactic Civilisations 2 is the natural successor to Master of Orion 2 (one of my fave games of all time).

You should probably also be able to pick up Company of Heroes with expansion pack for a decent price - it's an excellent RTS.

shadowforce41

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Well, I personally like RPG games with a great gameplay above all other things, graphics ...story....it can even be a 2D game as long as I can have fun with it.

Ive been searching for some time now and I did found a couple of games that I really enjoy, I even bought their full versions to kill some time, they were pretty cheap so Ive purchased them. (2 games for less than 10 USD LOL)

the games are Soul Knights RPG (http://www.soulknightsrpg.com) and Buffz RPG (http://www.buffzrpg.com)

both from Lizard -2D Entertainment- (http://www.lizard2dentertainment.com)

hope you like em =p

cyaz