[Solved] Separaton of system hdd and program hdd?

adrenaline406

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Hey all,
Just built a computer with 2 hdd's. The idea was to make the C drive (40gb) for the windows 7 that I am running currently, then to have all my programs installed on the D drive (250gb) along with my data (docs, music etc).

Did I just attempt something that is not going to work? ( I was really hoping to have them all show up in my start menu, not go searching for them on the D drive.)

C Drive: IDE 40gb
D Drive Sata 250gb

Thanks in advance.

adrenaline406

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
So I went to talk with an IT friend, he said that the reason they're not showing is because the programs were installed on the larger drive (with the Win 7 that was there) therefore they are in that registry. If I reinstall the programs in my D drive, they will be listed in the C drive registry and then show up in the start menu etc.

Were these programs installed before you installed Windows? If so then what your friend say sort of makes sense (although there's no such thing as a C drive registry or a D drive registry - there's just the registry).

Windows isn't at all fussed about which disk you install programs on, although some individual programs may be fussy and only install in a particular location.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Most programs allow you to choose where to install things too during installation. You can also change the default place to install applications by following the guide here:
http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

This does involve making modifications to the registry and shouldn't cause any problems. But you should still make this modification before installing any applications.

adrenaline406

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks for the registry clarification. And yes these programs were initially on the larger hdd, then I found the smaller hdd and decided I wanted to try this. Now that I have reinstalled programs, everthing is working flawlessly.

Thanks!