information transfer

I cannot transfer data from my old Dell with 98SE to the new Dell with XP. I
follow the Dell owners manual instructions. When I am on the old computer,
the screen that is supposed to identify "which computer I am on" never
appears. The only choice presented is to "transfer". After a short time I get
the message " unable to identify the ports that my serial cable is attached
to. I am using a 9 nine pin RS-232C cable. Am I doing something wrong?
--
Tom Ottney

"Tom Ottney" <TomOttney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot transfer data from my old Dell with 98SE to the new Dell with XP.
> follow the Dell owners manual instructions. When I am on the old computer,
> the screen that is supposed to identify "which computer I am on" never
> appears. The only choice presented is to "transfer". After a short time I
> get
> the message " unable to identify the ports that my serial cable is
> attached
> to. I am using a 9 nine pin RS-232C cable. Am I doing something wrong?
> --
> Tom Ottney

I haven't any idea what a Dell manual would tell you to do, but you might
want to look into the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the XP machine.
You'll find instructions in Help & Support.

Also, is that cable a crossover? (also known as a null modem cable?)
Otherwise it won't work.

D. Currie, you are right. Radio Shack forgot to add a Null Modem to the
RS262C cable. I got it and have transferred successfully. By the way, the
transfer took 23 hours and 40 minutes. My Family Tree and Quicken are huge
files.