Windows 2000 won't Boot after Installing XP

I recently Upgraded from W2000 Sp3 to XP Pro. The first time I booted into
Xp, I got a stop error with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. A search
turned up article 283433 which told me to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
from \i386 on the XP CD, but this did not solve the issue, as I got another
stop error, but it went by too quickly for me to read it.

After a lot more searching, I re-installed XP over itself, and the XP
problem went away.

However, now I get the other message shown in 283433 (Windows 2000 could not
start because the following is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

I checked NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, and both are the correct XP versions. I
cannot find anything when I search for the text in my subject line, above:
only the reverse.

I have WinXPSP1, Win2000SP3, and Win2000SP4, all in separate partitions.

Has anyone a solution?

Thanks,

Britt Dickson

Hi Britt,

If you are receiving that error in the XP partition, have a look at this
MSKB article, "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents
Windows XP from starting":

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Britt Dickson" <Olivia_DNOSPAM@msn.com> wrote in message
> I recently Upgraded from W2000 Sp3 to XP Pro. The first time I booted into
> Xp, I got a stop error with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. A search
> turned up article 283433 which told me to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
> from \i386 on the XP CD, but this did not solve the issue, as I got
another
> stop error, but it went by too quickly for me to read it.
>
> After a lot more searching, I re-installed XP over itself, and the XP
> problem went away.
>
> However, now I get the other message shown in 283433 (Windows 2000 could
not
> start because the following is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
>
> I checked NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, and both are the correct XP versions. I
> cannot find anything when I search for the text in my subject line, above:
> only the reverse.
>
> I have WinXPSP1, Win2000SP3, and Win2000SP4, all in separate partitions.
>
> Has anyone a solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Britt Dickson

Hi Patti,

Thanks for the response, but it's Windows 2000 that won't boot, and if
you are saying the same fix will work on W2000 I have to tell you that
the chances of a corrupted registry are next to none. Both of my 'extra'
W2000's were working fine, and I had just added SP4 to the first one
when I did the upgrade on my 'Master' install.

???

Britt Dickson