Possible to Hack "Internet Checkers"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs6749

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Is it possible to hack/edit the "Internet Checkers" files...you know...the game in Windows. I am curious to see if I can edit the files so that I can make my own messages to send to other players since the default ones pretty much suck and you can't chat in game. If anyone knows how to do this please reply. Thanks.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
LOL...

I dunno how to do it either. I spose you could always do a metadata search of your hard drive for files containing the same character string as the messages say and see if you can edit the text in whatever results appear.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
If you were to log onto MSN's Zone (or whatever they call it) you can play all those internet games that come with Windows and then some. The good thing about Zone is that you can write whatever you want there, no default messages. Would be much easier than "hacking" or trying to hack internet checkers. I think you would only succeed in crashing your or your opponents' computers anyway. Ever play against people who are using other languages? When they send you a hello in their language, you receive it as a hello in English. So if you were to hack these defaults and change them from, say, "Good Game" to "Gay Game", the receivers would still receive "Good Game" no matter what you did. You would have to have access to their game in order to hack it to make what you want show up.

Understand?

Mike_74

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Well, I think the only thing you could hack on Internet Checkers is the skin.

Like this video:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp0mhnse898&hl=en[/flash]

jujubefruit

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hey dude and dudette, it is not lame to hack files to extract or replace content. It is a matter or right or wrong. You wanna be a white hat hacker? You must begin somewhere...

So, with this fresh in memory, I offer you some tip to do what you want. Replacing text string in a binary file is very very easy, and would not crash original code. It is the original poster's intent to change some of the built-in messgae to say something else. The this is just a simple scan for encoded message with the binary or text file. Most messages or strings of this nature are not encode, so you have 50% of success.

1) Just locate the file, dll, any file, that you think would store this message.
2) open it with a hex file editor. This is like notepad, but instead of ascii you get binary hex digitsl in a table column format.
3) scan for text string or partial text pattern. Replace new text with exactly the same amount of character count. Do not overide any other bytes. Do not delete, do not insert, just over-write.

NOTE: make backup or original file before you even open it in a hex editor. Okay? If you new, always safe to have a backup original copy.

Need more help? I am sorry I can't be anymore detail than that.

jujubefruit

G

1. Those messages are encoded so you wont locate them.

2. Its probable that only one byte of number other than text is transmitted to represent the message so even after the hard work to locate the encoded message and change it, still it might not appear in the opponents PC. This idea is supportive when language support in windows is in mind.

3. You can write to the handler of that combo box via another program and change the text you want. But still its a doubt that the opponent would see your message because of No 2.

4. This idea of sending a custom message is not stupid as referred in some answerers.

Status
Not open for further replies.