Sign in with
Your question

MMO games

Last response: in Video Games
February 19, 2008 5:35:06 AM

HI,
Anyone here buy MMO games currency before?
If YES, where u purchase from and why u want to buy it ?
If NO, why u don't want to buy it ?
I want to know about your opinions.

More about : mmo games

February 19, 2008 6:59:27 AM

I believe that many guys will be tired of getting golds by killing monsters, and me too, although I love playing online games very much. So I have to look for some good sites to buy gold. Luckily, I have found one------offgamers. At least which I think is not a scaming site . their service and price are reasonable too.I trust it and I am always buy golds from the site. I think maybe you guys can have a try. It does no bad, I think.
After you have tried, you may agree with me.
February 19, 2008 7:14:43 AM

MMO gold should not be purchased using real life currency.

It is to ensure that the game is fair to everyone, regardless if you are a CEO in real life who has tons of money or a student who wants to have a level playinig ground with everyone else.

Also, gold farmers are annoying. They know the game so well that they tend to "camp" at all the right places at the right time and deny other players from gaining access to certain game resources. Amongst many other undesirable effects that are unnecessarily brought to the game. Too long a list to write.

Just a quick reply.
Related resources
February 19, 2008 8:43:14 AM

It's bad because it unbalances the game economy.

When you get found out, you will get banned.
February 19, 2008 8:45:55 AM

If you don't like to make your own MMO fortune then you shouldn't be playing one.
February 19, 2008 9:08:40 AM

Comments like BigMac's or imnotageek's above are completely invalid.

For me, and an obviously huge number of other people, a little real-world cash is more than worth a lot of real-world hours that could be spent enjoying the fun parts of a game instead of grinding for gold.
February 20, 2008 12:24:09 PM

They are invalid for you, apparently. It is kind of weird that you would want to play a game that is only in part fun to do. Why not play games that are entirely fun to you? There's plenty of choice.

They are also valid to the developers of the games that consider it cheating.

Another point in this regard: consider what happens in some remote parts of the world to relieve you of that grinding: there's people doing the grinding for you earning subminimal wages at best and they may even be doing it as forced labor, and all that because you want to only play part of a game the easy way. I would not have an issue with it so much if it was a fully legit business, with decent labor conditions, but it's not, and cannot be so because that would make the gold too expensive for you to purchase to start with. Would you buy that gold with your real world cash if it made decent wages for those working for you? I think not...
February 20, 2008 1:00:58 PM

I'm with BigMac, imnotageek, and b3n. The idea of the game is to play it. You wouldn't get someone else to do the training for you to go the olympics.
February 20, 2008 1:11:00 PM

In my lengthy experience with WoW, I noticed a small number of people in my guild that would almost always have a ton of gold, but I had never noticed them doing anything to get it...

One day I questioned them, and they admitted to buying gold for real cash. They almost all responded with something similar to this:
Quote:
For me, and an obviously huge number of other people, a little real-world cash is more than worth a lot of real-world hours that could be spent enjoying the fun parts of a game instead of grinding for gold.

The funny part is... most of those "hours that could be spent enjoying the game" were often spent standing around in a city doing absolutely nothing, or being logged into the game but either AFK or currently uninterested in what was happening.

Anyways, I don't hate people that buy gold, but I certainly don't approve it. Especially in WoW where you can easily make 100-300g in an hour with the new daily quests. If you're doing anything that demands more gold than that, you're probably playing the game more than you need to -- which means, you should be gathering your own gold anyways.

My $0.02.
February 20, 2008 3:37:41 PM

@BigMac -
Grinding daily quests is not fun. Grinding mobs for drops is not fun. Grinding a gathering profession to sell mats is not fun. Any grinding for gold in games like WoW is not fun. I enjoy playing MMOs but they tend to have too many time-sinks that are purely for making ingame gold. Especially WoW, a game targeted mainly at the casual gaming market - if you only have an hour or two per night to play your game you'll hardly want to spend half of your time or more just trying to get enough ingame cash to fund your actual play time. You want to get straight into the action with some PvP or getting into a raid or whatever floats your boat.

And while you talk about people earning subminimal wages in far-off places, consider the idea that quite a lot of the hardware in the computer you're using to post that was most likely made under similar conditions. Not to mention half the clothes you're wearing. Nor the fact that you could very easily go out and make your own clothes yourself but you choose to pay someone else to do it for you. Ever been to McDonalds? Same deal.

@rgeist554
Any time I spend AFK in a game is time I'm too busy in real-life to spend playing games. Those other people you're comparing me with are likely in the same situation. Which is exactly why people like me and them go for buying gold.

A lot of people lead busy lives but still try to keep up with some gaming. If they prefer to spend what little game time they have in MMOs then it's entirely up to them how they fund their in game activities.

February 20, 2008 4:16:08 PM

when I used to play WoW the gold buyers were easy to pick out. Generally decked out in every piece of epic gear available for their level that is commonly seen at the auction house auction. I remember to make gold when I was at level 60 (havent played since BC's release) I would just run all sections of the scarlet monestary (Armory cathedral etc) and after vendoring everything(provided it wasnt a lucky purple drop) aquired running it all, I would usualy end up scoring about 20-30g give or take. It was easy to do alone as a warrior. Took roughly 45 minutes. Honestly this was the fastest easiestly repeatable mean to make gold I had found. Which leads me to a point, how anybody can make money selling gold WITHOUT a slave labor force, would surprise me. judging from my experience grinding for gold and what they charge (at least when I last played) those prices were ridiculously cheap.
February 20, 2008 4:54:32 PM

promac said:
@BigMac -
Grinding daily quests is not fun. Grinding mobs for drops is not fun. Grinding a gathering profession to sell mats is not fun. Any grinding for gold in games like WoW is not fun. I enjoy playing MMOs but they tend to have too many time-sinks that are purely for making ingame gold.

earning gold is an important part of the game, if you don't like that then why play it at all? If you dislike the idea of playing a game where you have to earn money before you can spend it, then go play other games where that is not an issue.. like pvp? Go play counterstrike... at least there 's skill involved in that type of gameplay instead of just having the best gear and spells (that you bought with that money you don't want to work ingame for, perhaps part of the skill in games like WoW is finding out the best ways to make quick money ingame?).

promac said:

And while you talk about people earning subminimal wages in far-off places, consider the idea that quite a lot of the hardware in the computer you're using to post that was most likely made under similar conditions. Not to mention half the clothes you're wearing. Nor the fact that you could very easily go out and make your own clothes yourself but you choose to pay someone else to do it for you. Ever been to McDonalds? Same deal.

I have no problem with McDonalds (as you might have guessed), those wages might not be top of the bill but it is honest work and pay and people can just quit working there if they don't like it. As for other stuf you mention, I pay some attention to what I buy and I have no problem with shoving a few extra bucks for good stuf that was made properly. As for IT stuf, it's not a big risk if you buy established brands or do you have some hot news of an IT company forcing people to work for them?
February 20, 2008 4:56:13 PM

I prefer chicken over pork, but that's just my thang.
February 20, 2008 5:34:54 PM

Quote:
when I used to play WoW the gold buyers were easy to pick out. Generally decked out in every piece of epic gear available for their level that is commonly seen at the auction house auction.
This is often still the case, except back at 60 all the BoE epic gear (Bind on Equip) was mostly terrible. Generally it was all stacked with worthless stats or just barely better than obtainable blue items.

Personally, I still don't see the need to buy gold unless your spending a gross amount already, and by then, you probably play more than enough to just gather the gold your self. Seriously, how much gold do gold buyers spend in a day that facilitates the need to buy gold?

Then again... that's not nearly as bad as this: http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/74101/Warcraft_Playe...

February 20, 2008 6:12:46 PM

oh dear.... but its just prostitution in another form right?
February 20, 2008 8:12:34 PM

Farming/Adena (Gold) selling has completely ruined Lineage II.
February 20, 2008 10:28:39 PM

Yeah eve Eve-Online's economy nearly when to the wall because so many people were buying ingame currency on the web. It is against game rules / EULA agreements in most games to do this. It's equivalent to cheating. It's like playing Rise of Nations and deciding making workers to grow crops, cut down trees and mining mountains is just a waste of time, hit enter key type in cheat to give yourself 1000000 of each. Or it's like doing missions in games in god mode, just to get from a to b quicker. Grinding is part of the game, best thing i could say it find other methods to earns ingame currency that just mining / grinding. In the MMO's I play I help other people (with more skills / higher lvl) do their missions, they give me a small cut of what they make and it's still alot more than what I would have made doing a small crappy mission issued to me.

May I point out what you want to do is cheating. I'll tell you this if you do buy the ingame currency on the web you'll soon lose appreciation for the game and find the game boring because you made it too easy for yourself. Also by buying ingame currency you run the risk of getting your account banned, the person who gave you the gold (or whatever) probably also gave the gold to 200 other people that week, this raises a flag to GM's, GM's ban the person who sold you that gold, all accounts associated to the IP address to where that account logged on from and also the people who purchased the gold.

If you want to make gold (or whatever the currency is) fast in a game ask a friends in game to lend you the gold and tell them you give it back once you buy what you want, all I hope buying what you want helps you do missions faster so you can repay your friends.
February 20, 2008 11:57:13 PM

Unfortunately not many people realize that, for MMORPG, it is not just about yourself. And also, the rules are set by the game developer and if you do not agree to it, there is really no reason for you to play the game.

Buying or selling gold is bannable in games like WoW. Blizzard has shutdown many accounts in the past (and continued to do so) because such actions violates the end user agreement. If you like MMO but don't like the time-sink activities - which ironically, I think every single activity designed in the game is to somewhat "sink" you time, just that some may be more enjoyable too you than others - choose another game.

The last time I played Hellgate London, it is a pretty fast pace game. No need to farm for gold. Leveling is fast. Full of action. And the good thing is, wonderful loots drop very often. It can be marginally passed as a MMO because you can group up wiith friends and the dungeons scale up accordingly. For those of you who are too lazy to earn your way through the WoW progression, HG:L could be one of the alternatives.

Imagine if Blizzard actually sells their own gold online at their site, what would the game become? (Which by the way, I have another alternative for you ... go Guild War and go PvP direct on day 1) So, back to my first sentence. In MMO, it is not only about you, is it?
February 21, 2008 8:23:01 AM

That's my biggest problem with MMO's - The Farming.

They should design MMO's where people acquire gold and resources by playing fun parts of the game.

Farming sucks and devs should find a solution to it.

I don't play MMO because of the farming/grinding.

Estepona Apartments
February 21, 2008 8:30:29 AM

ApartmentsEstepona said:

They should design MMO's where people acquire gold and resources by playing fun parts of the game.

Estepona Apartments

Not all MMO's are like that. I've played Tabula Rasa briefly (for 2 months or so) and I did not get into serious issues regarding grinding. Maybe I wasn't leveled up enough yet. There's also MMO's around that focus more on combat than on role playing. It all depends on what you consider to be fun to do, and that is why i think it is silly to play a game only for a few aspects of it while there is plenty of choice out there that fully suits your needs (and if it does not exist yet, see it as an opportunity instead of an excuse to cheat).
February 21, 2008 11:42:09 AM

Gamers and games are no longer what they use to be.

Why play a game if you don't adhere to the rules?
Games are ment to be 'fun'?
Or games are ment to be challenging?
Is challenging fun?

It use to be the harder the game the more fun it was the more respect the game received and that same respect would be passed to the gamers playing/beating the game. Gamers were a rare bunch back then and were typically labeled outcasts.

Now games and gamers are for the masses and games are suppose to be fun and not overly hard. There are still those who have that old spirit, beat the game the way it was intended. We long for the games that demand superhuman reflexes, feats and skill (Diago SF3 evo2k4).

Alas it's a different world, majority rules and video games are mere past time activities.
February 22, 2008 1:57:08 AM

ApartmentsEstepona said:

Estepona Apartments

Depending on what do you mean by "farming", you don't necessarily need to farm at all - just quoting WoW as an example.

If you are a crafter but don't have the patience to gather materials (i.e. farm for mats), you can always buy them from the Auction House because there are tons of gatherers around (like myself) who don't mind devoting their time while questing to do something extra for gold. You can earn your gold with activities that you enjoy (like daily quests, or simply quests that you can do after you reach end game for gold will be rewarded instead of experience points, or run dungeons and sell the trash items, or sell your crafted items). At some point, you may *choose* to farm for mats because the market price is much too high and in a way, for some of us, the reward is there - to save gold instead of spending gold.

If you are talking about grinding for experience that you dislike, there are alternatives too. In WoW, you can group up with others or even on your own and quest for experience instead of grinding on the same set of mobs for hours (trust me, some actually enjoy that). You can even run dungeons endlessly in a group for experience points too, which occasionally I do so because I am tired of questing.

If you are talking about farming for better gears inside dungeon that you don't feel to, in WoW, you can either spend time and excel in PvP and get upgrade from there. Or simply you may attempt to craft the items yourself or buy them from Auction House.

If someone doesn't like crafting and doesn't like questing and doesn't like PvP'ing and doesn't like conquering dungeons and doesn't like killing monsters for experience point or loots and doesn't like to play the economy game of the auction house ...

... seriously, why play a MMO?
February 22, 2008 1:58:51 AM

My bad ... clicked the wrong button.
February 22, 2008 7:33:16 AM

imnotageek said:
If someone doesn't like crafting and doesn't like questing and doesn't like PvP'ing and doesn't like conquering dungeons and doesn't like killing monsters for experience point or loots and doesn't like to play the economy game of the auction house ...

... seriously, why play a MMO?

Well, he said he does like to do PvP. If that is so, the only thing I can think of is that he is just not good enough to earn any gold or gear doing PvP.. in short: he sucks at the game (parts) he likes and that's why he wants to cheat on it.

Let's leave it at that as I do not want to go into the psychology of why people cheat in games.
February 23, 2008 12:23:28 AM

Quote:
It is kind of weird that you would want to play a game that is only in part fun to do. Why not play games that are entirely fun to you? There's plenty of choice

+1
February 24, 2008 12:46:21 PM

My opinion... If you want to buy gold, then buy gold. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you want to sell gold, don't stand by the bank or auction house yelling. That makes me less likely to buy your product, not more.

I personally have never bought any in game currency, but I would be lying if I said I never looked into it. Grinding can get tedious and I can get impatient, but I always decide against it.

As for the argument about working conditions... Stop and consider the options those people may or may not have. If you had no options other than to work for subminimal rates or have to resort to outright theft, would you rather A. Work in a clothing sweatshop? B. Work in an electronics company breathing in toxic fumes all day? or C. grind in an MMO? Not a hard choice for me personally. If these people had options to work for better wages, do you honestly think they would stay where they were?

If they are in forced labor, then they don't have a choice and they are going to be stuck in crap labor for the rest of their lives anyway. If they are lucky then all they have to do is grind in an MMO.

Your argument falls flat. There is something to be said for not encouraging these conditions and to attempt to make such conditions unprofitable to maintain due to backlash, but how closely have you looked at the brands of clothing you wear or other things you buy? If it mattered that much to you then maybe you should do a bit more research.

As for the notion that cheating reduces enjoyment of the game, that is a matter of personal bias. I personally despise anyone who cheats in competitive multiplayer engagements, but when you are playing by yourself or with close friends, then I see no problems with it.

One example. I will generally play through an RPG completely legitimately the first time through, but say I want to go back and screw around a bit in that game. I will often download a character editor, give myself tons of money, and if I am feeling particularly cheesy, max out my stats and such. I enjoy the hell out of it every time and often even beat the game while being an utter cheesemonger. Yes, I find it fun not to have a care in the world from time to time.

In MMOs, it is a bit more of a grey area. Purchasing the gold can negatively affect the economy of a server and if you play PVP then you will be decked out in significantly better gear than you otherwise would have been able to afford. All in all I feel these are not major problems, but they are problems. I still hold that if you personally are willing to risk it with potentially virus ridden websites and scams where you give your credit card info to a company that has already proven that they don't care about rules or laws... meh, its your call.
February 24, 2008 3:20:00 PM

Buying gold is cheating. Even worse than that it also degrades gameplay and hurts honest players outside of just the balance of fair play. I've never bought gold or paid a power leveling service, but have still twice had my account hacked and everthing I earned stolen. Please explain to me how that isn't directly caused by people buying gold?
February 24, 2008 3:33:16 PM

How do you know it was? You don't think people who just want to get ahead for themselves will steal everything someone else has if they think they can get away with it? Do you have any evidence that it was done by a gold farmer or is that just an assumption you are making?
February 24, 2008 4:07:02 PM

Because they caught the person or at least tracked it down to a known gold farmer. If you don't think buying gold promotes people hacking accounts then you are pretty ignorant.
February 24, 2008 4:16:57 PM

Well from everything I had heard and read, generally they would get your account information with a keylogger loaded when you went to the page that allowed you to purchase the gold using the same java script that the page was written with, or in some cases by you giving it to them. This is particularly true if you are purchasing powerleveling services which I really don't see the point of.

I also know that some people not affiliated with gold farmers will steal all your stuff using a similar method. This keylogger is usually picked up when you download mods from questionable sources.

I had considered it part of the risk that you take and I also know someone personally who lost all of their stuff after looking for mods, but Blizzard caught them and returned all his stuff within a week.

If they are hitting "innocent" players for gold farming then yes, I would say that is good reason not to purchase their services.
February 24, 2008 4:48:51 PM

I doubt that many hacked accounts are from individuals looking to improve their own characters. For one using key loggers and such would get you info from random servers, most of which will be of no use to an individual. Secondly stealing from a hacked account and transferring directly to your account will almost certainly get you caught. Thirdly the time, effort and risk involved for an individual is probably too great especially when they can just buy the gold from a gold farmer. So I think it's a fairly safe assumption that most hacked accounts, key loggers and other scams are the doing of people looking for hard financial gain, not from other players trying to further their own characters. The bottom line is that people who sell gold are already actively working to break the rules. So why doubt that they are also using other methods like key loggers or anything else that can bring them profit?
Also the damage that bought gold does to the economy of a server is pretty serious. Not being able to buy items in the Auction House or even from other players because prices are so inflated is unfair to people you want to play the game honestly. The last server I played on, I saw the economy jump drastically in a short period of time, despite the population going down. This was right around the same time my account was hacked and there was also a huge jump in spam advertising "GOLD NOW AVAILABLE ON THIS SERVER". Items that were once availabe for a reasonable price where suddenly drastically overpriced. Basically the entire aspect of trade within the game was eliminated for anybody who didn't buy gold. So because some people wanted to take a shortcut and not have to earn there own gold they negatively effected another aspect of the game for people who were playing the game honestly.

I think buying gold in MMOs is similar to using steriods in baseball. Users will try to justify their actions by saying it doesn't hurt any body else. But in truth it puts every other player either at a disadvantage or faced with the decision to break the rules themselves.
February 24, 2008 4:55:06 PM

That is a well reasoned argument for being against it then. Kudos to you.
February 25, 2008 3:18:44 PM

Gotta side with the anti-gold buying faction here. If it resulted in nothing more than infornography's harmless 2nd runs with lots of gold, it wouldn't bother me, but MMOs are dynamic systems, and the buying and selling of gold does have a substantial impact on the economy of a server. Take this as an anology; suppose you were doing a useful but poorly compensated job (think teacher, police officer, etc.) and decided you wanted to get a fancy new Corvette. In real life, you might have several options: work a second job, get a new job that pays enough to buy the car, save money for a while, buy a used one...or pay someone to steal one for you. This last option is exactly what gold buyers are choosing - they use someone else to acquire what they themselves are unwilling to work for and earn. Car theft is not victimless, and neither is buying gold...

Gold buying is yet another example of the instant gratification culture that is so hideously rampant in the US, and is so destructive culturally. Wanting something without working for it is an infantile response and should not be tolerated in anyone whose age in is double digits. And please don't flame me with responses that you are too busy in real-life to earn gold in an MMO; congratulations on having your priorities straight and your expectations out of whack. If the results of your choices don't please you, make other choices that don't involve cheating the system.

If you can't play enough to earn the epic gear you "have to have," well, that's probably the game's way of telling you that you shouldn't have that gear. Learn to live with it or find another game. You won't find me playing Counter-Strike much because I don't have the twitch relfexes to compete at a high level and I lack the time and interest to develop them. I suppose I could hire someone to play for me, but WHY? I would derive no enjoyment from someone else playing, nor should I feel any personal satisfaction or sense of achievement because of someone else's accomplishments. Buying gold is the same; you pay some faceless person to do things you won't do yourself. Where's the fun or satisfaction in that?
February 25, 2008 3:34:35 PM

Quote:
Gotta side with the anti-gold buying faction here. If it resulted in nothing more than infornography's harmless 2nd runs with lots of gold, it wouldn't bother me, but MMOs are dynamic systems, and the buying and selling of gold does have a substantial impact on the economy of a server. Take this as an anology; suppose you were doing a useful but poorly compensated job (think teacher, police officer, etc.) and decided you wanted to get a fancy new Corvette. In real life, you might have several options: work a second job, get a new job that pays enough to buy the car, save money for a while, buy a used one...or pay someone to steal one for you. This last option is exactly what gold buyers are choosing - they use someone else to acquire what they themselves are unwilling to work for and earn. Car theft is not victimless, and neither is buying gold...

Gold buying is yet another example of the instant gratification culture that is so hideously rampant in the US, and is so destructive culturally. Wanting something without working for it is an infantile response and should not be tolerated in anyone whose age in is double digits. And please don't flame me with responses that you are too busy in real-life to earn gold in an MMO; congratulations on having your priorities straight and your expectations out of whack. If the results of your choices don't please you, make other choices that don't involve cheating the system.

If you can't play enough to earn the epic gear you "have to have," well, that's probably the game's way of telling you that you shouldn't have that gear. Learn to live with it or find another game. You won't find me playing Counter-Strike much because I don't have the twitch relfexes to compete at a high level and I lack the time and interest to develop them. I suppose I could hire someone to play for me, but WHY? I would derive no enjoyment from someone else playing, nor should I feel any personal satisfaction or sense of achievement because of someone else's accomplishments. Buying gold is the same; you pay some faceless person to do things you won't do yourself. Where's the fun or satisfaction in that?
+1

Very well put! You, sir, deserve a cookie.

I love the part about instant gratification. It's so true... many people want the reward without putting in the time. To me, it's so much more awarding to live with what you've got and actually obtain something by your own merit. It just becomes that much more special / important.
February 25, 2008 4:05:24 PM

That's a false analogy. In buying gold you aren't paying someone to steal for you, you're paying someone to work for you.

People have asked why someone would play a game when they don't enjoy every single part of it - have you never played a game and thought "I hate this level - can't wait to clear it" or something similar?

Regardless - MMOs are a social platform. They are most played by people who are in guilds/clans from previous games. People who might not have as much (or any near as much) time as they used to due to getting married, having kids, working more or whatever but want to keep up with their online friends.

Those friends might have a lot more time still and be far better equipped to go out and make all the in-game gold they need by skinning 500 kodos for 6 hours a week. The rest of us don't.

I'm also seeing people asking how much money people really need in a game - try getting yourself fully kitted out for PvP or high level raids in WoW when you don't have much ingame gold. It doesn't happen. You can get fairly decent PvP gear now but only by doing a lot of PvP - i.e. a lot of hours put in to the game - but then we're back to the same problem of not having the time to grind all that crap. And you're still going to need money for the high-level enchants to go with it.

Sure, you could still do all that with only limited time, albeit much slower. But then you're always going to be behind your less busy friends and never able to join in with them on the end game stuff.

If you aren't into buying gold yourself then fair enough but don't automatically brand someone a cheater or just crap at some game because they feel differently about the subject.
February 25, 2008 4:24:12 PM

Quote:
That's a false analogy. In buying gold you aren't paying someone to steal for you, you're paying someone to work for you.

How do you know they're not stealing it? They are already breaking the rules just by selling it, so why assume they are only getting it through "honest" means? Are you aware that Blizzard clearly prohibits buying gold and doing so can get you banned? I've known people who have been banned just for getting gold from a friend who purchased it. It is cheating because you chose to do so knowing there is a risk of getting caught and having your account banned. For me and many others we choose not to because we are following the rules and don't want to get our accounts banned. So please explain how breaking the rules to gain an advantage over those who choose to follow them is not cheating?
February 25, 2008 9:54:28 PM

I dont get the big deal behind people who buy gold from players who aquired it via standard in game methods.

I played EQ for 8 years. I knew rich people who farmed a lot for themselves, I knew people who bought gold, and I knew people who sold stuff. None of them ever stopped me from getting my Epic, or into an uberguild or raiding what I wanted to raid. I never had any more problems with "Gold Farmers" who sell loot taking my mobs than I did with "Other people after the same mob for their own reasons".

Yet, people get really excitable on both sides of the coin when it comes to these things. I'd have to say I am firmly in the "dont care" camp. Now, Im all for Blizzard/Sony/Whoever banning the hell outta people who actually cheat. Duping, Warping, hacking or whatever.... Get 'Em Dev! However, I just dont care about the fact that you got some money from someone be it cause you paid them with $$ or because they are your friend and they happen to be rich so they give you a million ISK or gold or Plat.

I do agree with what someone above said. I suspect if you buy a bunch of gold and then get all your items etc for "free" you will find yourself bored very quickly. There isnt much to do in a MMO after you got all the money, gear and experience around. You may be able to raid or PVP depending on your game choice. However, I just think you shallow up your game a great deal.

To each their own I think.
February 26, 2008 1:05:37 AM

Quote:
I dont get the big deal behind people who buy gold from players who aquired it via standard in game methods.

If you're talking about one player buying from another legit player, then no it isn't a big deal. I made a deal with a guy I worked with to cover his shift one day in exchange for gold in WoW. What I have a problem with is supporting groups that are not real players, but instead are opportunist looking to exploit MMOs and their players. Sites that are in business to sell in game currency for real money are already in violation of most MMOs terms of use agreement. Stealing passwords, hacking accounts duping are no worse offenses so it would be a dumb business decision for these people NOT to do such things, all of which make the game worse for legit players.
February 26, 2008 8:32:23 AM

Mordenkhai has made the most sense so far in this thread.

February 26, 2008 11:11:07 AM

And this is one reason why I don't play MMOs. If you want to operate in a system where success can be bought by the talentless, just turn off your computer and step outside...
February 26, 2008 11:18:05 AM

MMOs are a massive time sink. As I've said repeatedly, in order to keep up with people who have massive amounts of time when you don't, buying gold works pretty well.

Does it make you uber? Does it mean you have something that you wouldn't have had you farmed the gold yourself? Does it give you an advantage over someone who farmed the gold for themself? No. On all counts.

The same "success" you're talking about can be bought by anyone who doesn't have a job or other commitments by simply farming some gold for a couple of days.

There are online games out there that acknowledge this and control the selling of gold themselves. Works a treat.

February 26, 2008 11:51:26 AM

Still, it sounds like the game must be pretty dull if people are so keen to skip key parts of it. I'll stick to other games...
February 26, 2008 1:36:55 PM

For the most part it's a lot of fun. It's the gold and faction farming that's dull as dishwater.
February 26, 2008 3:40:48 PM

So, basically, the fun part is the combat? Aren't there enough combat games already without having to be bored/cheat at games that are designed to include other elements?
February 26, 2008 9:43:25 PM

purplerat said:
Quote:

If you're talking about one player buying from another legit player, then no it isn't a big deal. I made a deal with a guy I worked with to cover his shift one day in exchange for gold in WoW. What I have a problem with is supporting groups that are not real players, but instead are opportunist looking to exploit MMOs and their players. Sites that are in business to sell in game currency for real money are already in violation of most MMOs terms of use agreement. Stealing passwords, hacking accounts duping are no worse offenses so it would be a dumb business decision for these people NOT to do such things, all of which make the game worse for legit players.

Right on man! Giving ingame money between friends that play and love that game for help in ingame life or real life is cool, but some people don't draw the line there, they set up 10 accounts and farm 24/7, don't play the game, don't even know how to play it and then advertise their gold or whatnot on the internet for real money, and doing so upsets the ingame economy and next thing you know buying an ingame item costs 4 times as much! Anyways you get my point.
February 27, 2008 7:53:21 AM

It's sad that the majority of people seem to have become very accustomed to the "grind" MMO games and they don't want to try anything new and innovative. I used to play a very innovative and quite interesting MMORPG which was very different from all other games on the market but the game was shut down because only a few thousand people were interested in it after it became pay-to-play.
February 27, 2008 7:54:15 AM

llama_man said:
So, basically, the fun part is the combat? Aren't there enough combat games already without having to be bored/cheat at games that are designed to include other elements?

We're talking about an MMO here. The fun part is getting into the combat with a load of other people. Getting in on a big guild raid on voice chat either for PvE or PvP is seriously good fun.
February 27, 2008 10:40:30 AM

Sounds to me like there's a market for fantasy-based FPS's with multiplayer...
February 27, 2008 3:07:37 PM

llama_man said:
Sounds to me like there's a market for fantasy-based FPS's with multiplayer...

Lol, guess what man, you are sooooo on the money here, remember Hexen 2 and Heretic 2, single player fps (s?? shooter, what would this be in a fanstasy game first player.....swordsman, elf... blah etc) what ever it was, imagine Unreal Fantasy Tournament, 32 players in death match, elf versus dwarf, wizard versus Michael Jackson (LOL something weird you know). I would so play this, I'm so so sick of playing the typical bf/cod/cs/q4/ut3/halo/etc, we need something different. So EPIC games if you're listening before MS-EA-Blizz-ID Soft figure this out and make another mere ok game get off your butts and make Unreal Fantasy Tournament, we command you to ;-)
!