Best P4 Mobo? Best (if any) p4 mobo w/ 64-bit pci

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Whats the best P4 Motherboard out currently?

What the best (if any) P4 motherboard out there with 64-bit/66mhz PCI bus?

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Hello. Asus P4PE - Tom's Hardware Pick. This motherboard is a little restrictive on graphics cards, 1.5V only, what graphics card are you planning to use? No single-CPU motherboard has 64-Bit PCI.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
raedon 9700pro... would there be a problem?

i dont mind about the dual-cpu mobo,, its just the option of upgrading in the future...
(so do you know of, or did TH do a review on any 64-bit dualcpu mobos?)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sirrion on 12/11/02 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
raedon 9700pro... would there be a problem?
Hello again. No problem. It will work.

Planning to do dual for gaming/entertainment? Sadly, dual CPUs don't benefit games. The Asus P4PE is the perfect choice. Haven't checked TH recently for dual mobo reviews. I hope they do one when Dual AMD Athlon MP motherboards begin to support AMD Athlon MP with 333MHz DDR FSB.

sirrion

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
actually i want it to be a high end server. possible gaming tho, but i want to go with a good server choice over gaming, so i guess ill say its for a high end dedicated server...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I hope they do one when Dual AMD Athlon MP motherboards begin to support AMD Athlon MP with 333MHz DDR FSB.

I generally don't think that will happen. I don't believe MPX is slated to go to 333Mhz and will be the run out product for when/if the hammers get here.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
In Granite Bay review on THG there is a Dual Xeon MOBO w/ PCI 64-bit. I think it is a Tyan MOBO.

I recommend the Asus P4PE or Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra (both w/ Intel 845PE chipset) and P4 3.06GHz Hyper-Theading.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Best p4 boards...
Albatron PX845PE PRO IIS with the pe chipset is the most overclockable of all the pe chipsets and will run three sticks pc 3200...very sweet board read anandtechs review...toms review sucks....the asus p4pe is actually on the low end in overclocking and the gigabyte pe board is lacking in memory dividers...

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP2 is the best mobo with rdram support...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by civilized on 12/12/02 09:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Best p4 boards...
Albatron PX845PE PRO IIS with the pe chipset is the most overclockable of all the pe chipsets and will run three sticks pc 3200...very sweet board read anandtechs review...toms review sucks....the asus p4pe is actually on the low end in overclocking and the gigabyte pe board is lacking in memory dividers...

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP2 is the best mobo with rdram support...
Do you even know what you're talking about? Why would you wan't to use three sticks of memory? RDRAM, what's up with that? Why are you hinting that the P4PE is not a good overclocking board. You may have not been aware that as you increase the FSB of the P4PE, the BIOS automatically changes the selections for the memory frequency! So, it may seem at first glance that it only supports up to 355MHz memory frequency but actually it is capable of much higher frequencies! The Asus P4PE is loaded with overclocking features(<A HREF="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/p4pe/page4.asp" target="_new">review</A>, <A HREF="http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/asus_p4pe/pg2.shtml" target="_new">review</A>):

- bus speeds available from 100MHz-200MHz in 1MHz increments
- CPU voltages up to 1.85V are available (in 0.025V increments)
- CAS latency as low as 1.5
- AGP/PCI Lock
- DDR Voltage up to 2.9
- CrashFree BIOS and C.P.R

It's ok to make an error once in while but you were harsh and wrong. Instead of attacking our recommendation to make yours look better, why don't you just present your recommendation and let him choose for himself.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Easy there princess!....I think you need to get laid you seem to have some built up rage lol.....and yes I do know what I am talking about....it is pretty impressive for a board that doest officially support ddr400 to run with agressive memory timings and do it well...the p4pe can do this also, I was just stating a fact....and yes I am aware that these boards are equipped with non-independent ratios...meaning as you raise the fsb the memory is also raised accordingly...derrrr.
yes the p4pe does overclock well as all the pe boards do....and it does have alot of overclocking features and potential BUT it DOES fall near the bottom of the test batch....just because it has all the features doesnt make it the best overclocker....here is another review...http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1723&p=8

ps...now you try not to make this thread a bitching at this and that article and quit trying to insult people just to raise your self graditude.....it is also funny both of the reviews just state the features and never do really put the board to test by actually overclocking it...maybe you should read anandtechs review....
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by civilized on 12/12/02 10:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
yes the p4pe does overclock well as all the pe boards do
Now your changing your mind? I think you need to re-read your previous post and change it accordingly. Otherwise, you've provided some good info. And i'll read up on the anandtech review.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I never said the asus board was a bad board...thats what I was trying to get through to you....I never bashed your recommendations...but for some reason you got offensive with me and I cant stand when people do that for no reason but I forgive you =]....I was just stating my recommendations...let me polish it up....here is my official non-offending recc..=]

The Albatron pe(best overclocker, very cheap 94 bucks), Asus P4pe (more feature rich and is a good overclocker, little expensive), you can bash rdram since it is still the performance king until a good dual ddr chipset comes out and the memory is about the same price as ddr400 chips...but anyways this is my truce lol

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Hello, peteb. I know that this is the theInquirer but I found <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6660" target="_new">this article</A>. What are your thoughts? Fact? Fiction? I need your expertise here. Thanx!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well, since the article mentions "The 768MPX chipset will likely have to be tweaked for the introduction." it has me worried, the chipset is actually the 760MPX, not the 768. 768 is the identifier of the AMD southbridge, not the northbridge. From a position of accuracy it already makes me wonder.

In addition, what is AMD's incentive here to go to 333 on the MPX? It would require new board and chip revisions right on the threshold of the hammer line. Who is going to buy into that on the bbrink of the hammer releases? None of the current MPX boards will officially support 333Mhz, even if a few could technically get there out of spec.

If you ask my opinion it is a marketing FUD to draw a few sales away from Intel until hammer is ready.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
this has been discussed for a bit at other forums. i doubt it very much you'll see an mpx revision to support 333fsb. reasons being is, look at the issues they had implementing 64/66 pci bus. you think raising sys_clk is going to be easier? don't think so. also what is the mp/mpx chipsets targetted at? servers. who's running servers? businesses. will a business that has their hardware set already going to be worried about a few mhz more so they can brag to other system admins about their 3dmark score or something? nope i higly doubt it. amd is already running itself thin as it is. i don't see they would gain anything by moving the mpx to a higher bus. it would t-off a lot of owners of mpx chipsets now (if they would lose support for future higher cpus). also companies don't run out on every hardware upgrade and buy the latest and greatest, that's why dual platforms in general lag behind single cpu arena. but if they do, i'd be very surprised and would finally have hard evidence to say amd is run by retards.

wtf? i'm uberl33t mang. i've got dual cpus, 6 scsi drives in raid0 and 2gb of ram for my UT2003 machine. so i'm a hax0r. f342 m3!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I agree with all but one of your positions actually, I see the the MPX as a workstation or computational platform primarily, not a server platform.

For those areas there is more incentive to move to faster revisions (if it is a valid step) since the time elapsed issues for both functions are important. I dont think I'd see too many AMD systems in Database of File servers - which is where the majority of your case seems directed?

Anyhow, I agree that I don't see AMD doing this - they had issues delivering the MP and MPX so getting another 25% out of it is not going to be trivial.

zorfox

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I recently asked for a good reccomendation for a dual P4 board. I am doing 3D modeling and video rendering. However, seems there simply is nothing out there worth while YET. I am considering getting a P4PE (2.4Mhz cuz of price) and an ATI 9700, don't really care much about sound just rendering time. Am I making a mistake? any advise would be appreciated.